DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Armory

The Armory The definitive firearms forum of DFW Mustangs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2020, 04:02 PM   #1
Jose
Lifer
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 48,546
Default Ammo Storage?

How do you guys store your ammo? I've been using a bunch of metal surplus ammo cans I bought from someone on the board a few years ago. But due to COVID, not shooting enough/going to the range as frequently, lack of attending any classes, and still buying ammo albeit at higher prices; I've run out of storage.

Not even sure where I can buy more surplus ammo cans locally. Army/Navy surplus? I have a few of the MTM storage boxes that come with bulk ammo that I'm also using. Anyone had any issues with them other than capacity and being as sturdy as the metal cans? Thoughts?
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:20 PM   #2
Fastback
Time Served
 
Fastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,538
Default

Metal filing cabinets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
How do you guys store your ammo? I've been using a bunch of metal surplus ammo cans I bought from someone on the board a few years ago. But due to COVID, not shooting enough/going to the range as frequently, lack of attending any classes, and still buying ammo albeit at higher prices; I've run out of storage.


Thoughts?
Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:14 PM   #3
hxbernal
Served Time
 
hxbernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 531
Default

I use these



https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Ac.../dp/B00002N9F9
hxbernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:26 PM   #4
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Still not luvin da police...
Posts: 33,260
Default

I have my stock in a large Igloo ice chest with wheels. It keeps the moisture out and I keep it in my closet. Seems to work ok.
I was moving and had all this ammo stock and for the move I put it in this ice chest for the movers. I just left it in their and it works and is roomy enough. Its heavy as fuck but I don't need to roll it around, just for storage.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
Chili
Joe Blow
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1975
Location: Haslet
Posts: 24,622
Default

I try and grab a couple .50 cal boxes from HF whenever they're on sale..

https://www.harborfreight.com/metal-...can-63750.html
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:17 AM   #6
ceyko
Lifer
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,863
Default

Costco also had some decently made ammo cans - and then the ones from HF are good too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.
ceyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #7
Jose
Lifer
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 48,546
Default

Thanks everybody for their response.

Metal filing cabinet would be a no. I'm not simply looking for a place to stash my ammo, but a way to store it where it's protected from humidity. I'm storing my ammo in my basement, and although it's not terribly humid, I've found a couple of loose cardboard boxes of really old ammo in my dads old gun cabinet (not a safe but pretty much an open wooden storage cabinet) that were rusting.

Probably wouldn't trust a cooler for that either as I'd want something with a sealing gasket. I think the Action Packer offers that but I think they are more expensive than the ammo cans. I do want to pick up some good size ones for some of my camping gear (electronics and my drone).

I'm going to look into the ammo cans at HF and Costco. It'll match with what I have, stackable, I know they are sealed, and should be fairly cheap. Thanks.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #8
AnthonyS
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,571
Default

I picked up some of these at a LGS once. I may order some here:

https://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-Pla...dDbGljaz10cnVl
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #9
Craizie
Not very WOKE
VIP Member
 
Craizie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,067
Default

I figured yall were using $400 yeti coolers or something.
Craizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:02 PM   #10
Jose
Lifer
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 48,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
I picked up some of these at a LGS once. I may order some here:
That's basically what I have gotten with some of my bulk ammo orders from PSA. I got a cheaper one from LAX that was pretty flimsy. I use the ones I got from PSA with no problem. The one from LAX I could do without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie View Post
I figured yall were using $400 yeti coolers or something.
Ha!
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:54 PM   #11
ceyko
Lifer
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,863
Default

I may be nuts, but I'd think most modern coolers be fine for storing bulk ammo if humidity is only reason against them. Just throw in a baggy or two of rice or those packs and be good.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.
ceyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:06 PM   #12
AnthonyS
Lifer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie View Post
I figured yall were using $400 yeti coolers or something.
I buy Pelican coolers. Just as good but better price. We do have a Yeti, but it was a gift. I prefer the latches on the Pelican way more. Im not trying to keep ammo cold so no coolers here.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:24 AM   #13
Jose
Lifer
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 48,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
I may be nuts, but I'd think most modern coolers be fine for storing bulk ammo if humidity is only reason against them. Just throw in a baggy or two of rice or those packs and be good.
Are you talking about cheapy Coleman coolers or a Yeti? When you consider how much ammo weighs, are you going to fill a cooler all the way to the top or half way? Just doesn't seem like it would work. Might be OK if I'm not taking the ammo anywhere, but when I go to the range or a class, I load my military ammo cans in my truck. Coolers just doesn't really work for me because of the bulk/size/weight. Especially when you consider how thick the walls are on a cooler. Anyway just what I'm thinking.

I had to order something on Amazon last night, and I've had this on my list for a while, so went ahead and bought one to check out. For the price ($18?) I think it's better than using a cooler, stackable, o-ringed seal, and easily loadable in the back of my truck or trunk of my car. A cooler (depending on the size) won't easily load in the trunk of my Mustang. And looking at the size, although not sure about the weight when loaded, might be able to carry underneath one underneath each arm.



https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #14
Chili
Joe Blow
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1975
Location: Haslet
Posts: 24,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
I think the Action Packer offers that but I think they are more expensive than the ammo cans.
Action Packers are not sealed, actually. I have a bunch of them for camping gear, but that was for inside rigs only and had to buy others for the roof-rack. And I agree with wanting a seal, especially in a basement. Hell, when I was in on-post housing at Fort Bliss we had a basement, and even that one stayed very moist.. And El Paso is one of the most arid places I've lived.
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:25 AM   #15
Jose
Lifer
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 48,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Action Packers are not sealed, actually. I have a bunch of them for camping gear, but that was for inside rigs only and had to buy others for the roof-rack. And I agree with wanting a seal, especially in a basement. Hell, when I was in on-post housing at Fort Bliss we had a basement, and even that one stayed very moist.. And El Paso is one of the most arid places I've lived.
Good to know, I thought they were sealed. Although not as much of a concern for me now that I have a bed cover. Still would want something for camping that is sealable for electronics. What did you get for the roof rack?
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #16
Silverback
It's all in the reflexes
 
Silverback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: On the Road
Posts: 18,574
Default

i have a few of those ammo crates, perfect size/weight when full to move around
Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #17
Fastback
Time Served
 
Fastback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,538
Default

Keeping it in the basement? Where do you live?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Thanks everybody for their response.



Metal filing cabinet would be a no. I'm not simply looking for a place to stash my ammo, but a way to store it where it's protected from humidity. I'm storing my ammo in my basement, and although it's not terribly humid, I've found a couple of loose cardboard boxes of really old ammo in my dads old gun cabinet (not a safe but pretty much an open wooden storage cabinet) that were rusting.



Probably wouldn't trust a cooler for that either as I'd want something with a sealing gasket. I think the Action Packer offers that but I think they are more expensive than the ammo cans. I do want to pick up some good size ones for some of my camping gear (electronics and my drone).



I'm going to look into the ammo cans at HF and Costco. It'll match with what I have, stackable, I know they are sealed, and should be fairly cheap. Thanks.
Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:52 AM   #18
Jose
Lifer
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 48,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
i have a few of those ammo crates, perfect size/weight when full to move around
Thanks for confirming Matt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastback View Post
Keeping it in the basement? Where do you live?
I live in Oak Cliff and my house is built on the side of a small hill so I have a basement area underneath the house that is partially into the hill but also has a door leading outside. Basement/cellar, I call it a basement. When it rains really heavily, I'll get some water leaking down there that I have to keep an eye on and clean up. I also have a big room dehumidifier down there that fills up fairly quickly.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:09 AM   #19
Chili
Joe Blow
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1975
Location: Haslet
Posts: 24,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Good to know, I thought they were sealed. Although not as much of a concern for me now that I have a bed cover. Still would want something for camping that is sealable for electronics. What did you get for the roof rack?
Just cheap boxes from walmart, but they have a channel groove. They never leaked, though I also only carried items that could get a little wet without issue, or made sure to use a dry bag for things that could not.

Really, the only concern with the action packers was driving while raining, as it would allow water to find it's way in. When I used them in my old pickup bed trailer, there was not an issue as the wind wasn't hitting the side of the box. If concerned i would just line it with a durable trash bag, like a compactor or contractor bag.
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #20
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Still not luvin da police...
Posts: 33,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Anyway just what I'm thinking.

A cooler (depending on the size) won't easily load in the trunk of my Mustang.


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's a nice alternative to an ice shest/cooler. Even though I use a small soft cooler when I go to the range, it makes it easier to carry my ammo to and from. This would be a better case and its lockable (or you can use a lock).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
A cooler (depending on the size) won't easily load in the trunk of my Mustang.
You bought a Mustang?!?


Pics...
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.