Springer XDm 9, Sig P227 carry and Glock 20 gen 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springer XDm 9, Sig P227 carry and Glock 20 gen 4

So I have a huge variety in firearms. I really like each for it's own reasons. If I like them, I keep them. If I don't, I sell them and get something different.

So for this past weeks range trip I took these 3 pistols out and each leaves a very different impression and has a very different feel.

My first ever polymer pistol was an XD9. I sold it after I got the XDm compact 3.8" 9mm. I'm taking the CHL class soon and this will be my carry weapon. It's accurate, light and packs a lot of rounds in a small package. With the short mag it holds 13 rounds and the extended mags hold 19. That's a lot of firepower for such a small weapon. My favorite thing about it is the trigger is way better than Glock, and the recoil is so low you can be back on target super quick. I've shot it more than the other two so I'm more comfortable with it and more accurate.

I really should take photos at the range too....

So my P227. I got it because I like Sigs and love 45 ACP. It holds 10 rounds in the stock height magazines and has extended mags that hold 14, but they are expensive and hard to find. It's smaller and lighter than a 1911, but it is wider. It shoots very well. I love the DA Sig trigger in SA mode. It's short, crisp and great from the factory. It's also Sig reliable. The trigger in DA is a bear, but I do like having a decocker for anything my wife will shoot. I don't like her having to turn off a safety. One less thing to go wrong when things go bad. I could see me carrying this one in the winter.

I had a Glock 19 once, and I just didn't care for it. The grip angle, sights and it feels cheap.... just not as good as my other 9mms. I've got a CZ, the Springfield and an old German Sig P225 (one great nine but low capacity). The only other 9mm I really want is a Browning Hi Power.

I got the Glock 20 because it's 10mm awesomeness. Then after some research I learned I can shoot 357 Sig and 40 S&W with just a barrel change and the barrels are reasonably priced. Shooting 10mm is an experience! It's fun. You KNOW you are shooting a high power round with it. Other people come to see what you are shooting too. It's a serious round for a pistol. The pistol performed flawlessly for 250 rounds right out of the box. I did field strip and oil it some first. I'm about to clean it for the first time. I got the full FDE version with adjustable backstraps. I'm keeping the small no strap installed. The bad with this pistol (my accuracy with it so far), the sights and the trigger. I think I can learn to live with the grip angle which still feels unnatural, but the rear sight is too visible distracting from the front sight, and the trigger is pretty rough. I'm thinking of going with a ghostinc trigger bar and springs to see if I can make it tolerable. As for sights, I've read about people turning the rear sight around backwards: genius! I may do that first, but I eventually want to put 3 dot night sights on it. This gun is seriously heavy. I doubt I'd ever carry it concealed. But if the SHTF, I might carry it in a holster. If I can get good with it, it's a lot of firepower to have strapped to your side.

If anyone ever wants to shoot a variety of pistols and calibers, I have a decent selection. I'm no CJ, but I've got choices.

P.S. The Glock 20 with a 40 S&W barrel will be the only 40 S&W anything I ever own. I'm still a 9mm and 45 ACP guy. I think my wife might really like 38 super in a 1911 since she hates 45 ACP. I will have to take her out to shoot 38 super soon. So far I reload 9mm, 38 super and 45 ACP. I will be getting 10mm dies soon.

My next purchase will be a series 70 Colt 1911 in 45 ACP...... and some conversion barrels for the G20. I will also be getting some threaded barrels and silencers this year. Sig threaded barrels are easy to find and I have a Sig 1911, P227 and P225. I'd really love to find one silencer to work on all of my pistols. You can order barrels with custom threading or I guess get adapters.

I don't get it, you're offering us to try out your guns?
    sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
    🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Just talking about 3 of the pistols I own. I'm going to the range again this weekend or next and will probably shoot a bunch of different pistols or maybe rifles. I always like meeting people and shooting things I don't have and letting them try things they don't have. It's a lot cheaper than buying and reselling. I also like taking people that have never shot to the range for the first time. I'm taking one of my wife's single mom coworkers with us soon. I will probably start her on a full size metal frame 9mm and then let her try smaller 9mms. If she wants to try 45, she can try it too. I'm not going to have a newbie shoot 38 super or 10mm or something they can't easily get ammo for though. My wife needs to try 38 super out though. She hates 45 ACP but she shoots most accurately in a 1911 platform..... so she needs to give a 38 super 1911 a whirl.

Comment

Working...
      X