What makes a good "camp" gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YALE View Post
    Sounds like a 21 is in your future, or a 30. Both come in sf flavor.
    It certainly sounds like it. But how far into the future I don't know LOL!

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
    Details on this campsite? Looks like a good one. Hows the hiking?
    The pictures are from two different campsites in two different areas of New Mexico. I'll PM you the details. Good hiking. Some nice elevations (maybe a hundred or so feet) along with some nice prairies. I wish I could have spent more time there and I wish I had brought my mountain bike just to be able to do a little more exploring without having to take my truck. I

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    For a basic woods gun, I'd just go with a G20/29. Some guys have made the 10mm to 45 conversion work in their 21/30s, and others have had to modify the extractors to make it work....based on what I've read. The barrel in my G29 seems to lock up fine in my G30, but I don't ever plan on testing it to see if it'll shoot. Just not a conversion I'd want to depend on.
    Originally posted by CJ View Post
    I would get a G20, don't even think about carrying a .45 to defend yourself again large predators. .45's do very poorly in thick skin animals.
    I don't know... I would get more use out of the .45 ACP since I have three (about to be two) 1911's so I have plenty of ammo for it. But I would like to have the ability to have a 10mm when I go to the deep woods for camping (not State Parks) plus be able to shoot it at the range. I found a good article over on Glock Talk that has me convinced that this will work reliably for what I'm wanting to do.

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
    I took the G20 apart tonight and installed a Ghost Inc. trigger bar and spring kit. It seems a bit better in dry practice but it is still not a very nice trigger. I will probably take it to the range again this weekend and see how my accuracy is with it. I don't expect it will be 1911 like or even XD like, but hopefully I can learn to get decent with this gun and trigger.

I will be changing sights next. That rear sight is too visible and detracts from focusing on the front sight.

It's also a heavy and large pistol for a polymer gun. Of course 700 ft lbs of energy times 15 rounds is about the most a guy can carry in a pistol.

I'm going camping next weekend. I will probably take my Sig 1911 since it is reliable and has very bright night sights on it or maybe my P227. If I had night sights on the G20, I'd probably take it.
    I've always been fine with the Glock triggers for what they are. I would definitely be replacing the sights though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
      It certainly sounds like it. But how far into the future I don't know LOL!

The pictures are from two different campsites in two different areas of New Mexico. I'll PM you the details. Good hiking. Some nice elevations (maybe a hundred or so feet) along with some nice prairies. I wish I could have spent more time there and I wish I had brought my mountain bike just to be able to do a little more exploring without having to take my truck. I

I don't know... I would get more use out of the .45 ACP since I have three (about to be two) 1911's so I have plenty of ammo for it. But I would like to have the ability to have a 10mm when I go to the deep woods for camping (not State Parks) plus be able to shoot it at the range. I found a good article over on Glock Talk that has me convinced that this will work reliably for what I'm wanting to do.

I've always been fine with the Glock triggers for what they are. I would definitely be replacing the sights though.
      My experience with shooting boars with .45ACP is concerning. I've seen a point blank head shot just case a pig to shoot blood all over and get angry.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

FYI, Jose, S&W just came out with a 5-shot .44mag on the L (medium) frame. Now you can pack that in the same size gun as a 686. It's called the Model 69.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
        X