Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

full frame 9mm.. g17 vs xd 9mm.. opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
    I would think the grip would be the natural choice to hold the XD by when taking the slide off?
    For me it is. I haven't had a single issue disassembling to clean
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I shoot XDs better. My take would be to find someone with both and go to the range and see which one feels more natural and which one you shoot best. The triggers on both leave a lot to be desired but I prefer the Springfields. Both will serve you really well and last as long as you want to own them. My go to pistol for a variety of reasons are the XDMs with the 3.8" barrel. Although they cost more, I like the springfield magazines way better.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
        I think it comes down to grip angle
        Agreed.

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
        Both are good guns- but they are pretty different.

Xd:

Normal grip angle
        3 dot sights
        Grip safety
        Metal mags- more expensive usually.
        Xd trigger- lots of pre travel
        Marginally easier to take apart than glock
        Cheaper than the glock- they are going for $379 now.
        I put 2k rounds through my full size xd without a hiccup. They are good guns.

Glock:

Glock grip angle
        Glock sights- u and dot
        No safety
        Polymer mags- cheaper
        Glock trigger
        More expensive- id buy a gen4
        Just as reliable

When you go shoot both- shoot an m&p as well. It is all preference. All three will run perfect and be great guns. The main difference is grip angle.
        Agree with most of this although some of it can be fixed aftermarket (sights, trigger). Again, the key difference I feel is the grip angle and whether you like the grip safety or not.

Originally posted by White_lightning View Post
        i have several of both brand.. and like both... in .45 i liked the xd more... in 10mm i like my glocks..
        Do they even make an XD in 10mm?

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
        The grip safety on the xd is the only complaint between the two. Can't move the slide unless its depressed. Always a pain when cleaning and such.
        Seems like I remember that being an issue when I had an XD45.

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
        I would think the grip would be the natural choice to hold the XD by when taking the slide off?
        It wasn't for me and I had to make a conscious effort to press it.

Originally posted by White_lightning View Post
        i want to pick up a full frame 9mm and have narrowed it down to these 2.. pros? cons? anyone own them and have any insight? obviously i will shoot both before buying...
        Tough decision to make. Also I wasn't aware that the XD9 was cheaper than a Glock 17 but maybe your talking about new prices. For me it comes down to price, modifications, and versatility. The Glock would win this IMO. Cheaper price, ease of modifications (trigger and parts availability), and the ease to swap to different calibers (which I'm sure the XD can as well).

Comment

I agree with everyone referencing grip angle. They are different and will affect the way the gun feels. As for the prip safety, it bothers some people I guess. For me, it hasn't been an issue. It seems like a pretty non invasive device, the action of holding the gun releases the safety.

Comment

Everything else said on this thread, but two features I really like on the XD for convenience, is the cocked indicator and chambered indicator. Glock has neither and M&P chambered indicator is visual only (small hole to look for brass), which is useless in the dark. I know there's techniques to confirm chambered, but as said, I like the convenience.
            "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

My Glocks have a chamber indicator.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                The grip safety on the xd is the only complaint between the two. Can't move the slide unless its depressed. Always a pain when cleaning and such.
                This is actually what caused me to get rid of my xdm. I was shooting with my wife and she had trouble always getting a proper grip so the safety was fully engaged. No issues with the glock. I did no want something to happen, her grab that gun, and it not fire when needed. For me that was the only reason I got rid of it. Other than that I really liked it and it shot very well.
                I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                  This is actually what caused me to get rid of my xdm. I was shooting with my wife and she had trouble always getting a proper grip so the safety was fully engaged. No issues with the glock. I did no want something to happen, her grab that gun, and it not fire when needed. For me that was the only reason I got rid of it. Other than that I really liked it and it shot very well.
                  Does she have small hands?

I ask because I recommend them to a lot of people, just trying to figure out what makes it difficult to operate for some people!

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                    Does she have small hands?

I ask because I recommend them to a lot of people, just trying to figure out what makes it difficult to operate for some people!
                    Yes small hands, plus unlike some 1911s I have shot the xdm's backstrap safety has to be fully engaged for it to fire. We compared it to my cousin's springfield 1911 and the differences in that safety were quite substantial.
                    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                      Yes small hands, plus unlike some 1911s I have shot the xdm's backstrap safety has to be fully engaged for it to fire. We compared it to my cousin's springfield 1911 and the differences in that safety were quite substantial.
                      Good to know!

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                        My Glocks have a chamber indicator.
                        Is that on the new gens? I don't recall seeing it before. Or was I just ignorant?
                        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                          Is that on the new gens? I don't recall seeing it before. Or was I just ignorant?
                          Gen 3 and 4 have one. The extractor sticks out further when the chamber is loaded and serves as an indicator. Don't know if on earlier models.

Comment

Everything else said on this thread, but two features I really like on the XD for convenience, is the cocked indicator and chambered indicator. Glock has neither and M&P chambered indicator is visual only (small hole to look for brass), which is useless in the dark. I know there's techniques to confirm chambered, but as said, I like the convenience.
                            Not really a killing point for me as I treat all guns as if they are loaded (which everybody should be doing and the only way I keep mine outside of the safe).

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                            Gen 3 and 4 have one. The extractor sticks out further when the chamber is loaded and serves as an indicator. Don't know if on earlier models.
                            I thought they were like that from the beginning but I've only owned Glocks since the Gen 2's came out and that was a while back.

Comment

Still love my 226.
                              sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                              🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

This means I was ignorant to the older models. The oldest glock I have is probably 10 years old.

Comment

Working...
                                X