Newbie question - cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question - cleaning

Is there any benefit to cleaning my gun the same day I shoot it over waiting a few days/or a week to clean it?

I always clean my guns the day I use it. If there is a benefit or not I don't know. I'm sure it's better then waiting.
    2010 F-350 6.4L SRW CC 4X4

Spartan tunes, 5 inch flo-pro, 4 inch down pipe, cold side piping, AFE stage 2 CAI, EGR delete, Air Dog II

2012 Mustang 5.0 GT Stock........for now.

Comment

If you dont do it after you shoot, u will forget

Comment

No pressure to clean it the same day. I put 12,000 rounds through my XD in about 13 months. It was cleaned no more than 10 times during that period.

Usually, I clean the ones I shoot a week or two after.
        Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Nope. Unless you're shooting corrosive ammo.

Comment

As David said, unless you're shooting corrosive ammo there is no harm in letting it sit. However, unspent powder and fouling will attract moisture which can cause rusting, but we're talking months.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

This is the only reason I've ever cleaned anything the same day I used it:
              Originally posted by junior View Post
              If you dont do it after you shoot, u will forget

Comment

If your life depends on the gun, I'd clean it after using it, religiously (like my duty weapon).

If it's a plinker, or a safe queen, then clean it at your convenience.

Comment

Bore snakes are your friend. A quick swipe with a dab of clp and you are done.

Comment

What'd you buy, Marisa?
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I'll clean the damn thing just haven't had time. I'm not really diggin the slide release action on this thing either, constantly feels like it's binding when im removing or installing the slide.

We got her a bersa .380 to get started on.. i'd actually picked up my 9mm for her but after shooting she didn't like it so we had to start over. It's a pretty nice little gun, shoots straight as an arrow and wasn't hard on the wallet.

Comment

I shoot the shit out of corrosive ammo. CLEAN it afterwards. ASAP or that shit will eat your barrel alive! If its non corrosive. Clean it when you aren't in a lazy mood. I get lazy when I shoot corrosive. *Im all like.... SHIIIIIIIT I gotta clean this shit afterwards.
                        First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

What are some of the more common "corrosive" rounds?
                          Originally posted by Sean88gt
                          You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                          Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                          You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                            What are some of the more common "corrosive" rounds?
                            5.45x39, 7.62x54r, surplus 7.62x39, some surplus 7.62x51

There are more, but these are more common.
                            Originally posted by lincolnboy
                            After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Working...
                            X