1918 made Colt 1911 .45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1918 made Colt 1911 .45

My girlfriend has a Colt .45 1911 model from 1918 and I was asked if I could help her sell it. The gun belonged to her late father and she has no idea of what it is worth or how to find a buyer.

It appears to be in very good shape considering it's age. The only thing I see that is not right is that it looks like someone took a Dremel tool to the outside of the barrel near the link/link-pin area. So, I would assume that would reduce the value to some degree.

Can anyone offer up any advice on where would be the best place to sell the weapon and a ballpark of what she can expect to get for it?

I have the pistol at my house if anyone is interested.

TIA
    01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Post up some good pictures, that will help. Also post on www.m1911.org and www.thehighroad.org There are some fairly knowlegable folks on those forums.

Comment

Pics...

Here are some pics. S/N 345192 shows it is from 1918. The grips don't look original from all the pics I have seen. I didn't want to pull it apart since I had a helluva time getting back together the last time I did. That damn link pin kicked my butt.
      Last edited by Fastlane; 09-21-2016, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fastlane View Post
        Here are some pics. S/N 345192 shows it is from 1918. The grips don't look original from all the pics I have seen. I didn't want to pull it apart since I had a helluva time getting back together the last time I did. That damn link pin kicked my butt.
        Hmm..

Edit: sorry lost cell service.

That pistol would have had the early double diamond wood grips. It has plastic 1911A1 grips. Funny enough, I have some wood grips on my a1 and have been looking for plastic correct grips. This was common on re arsenal 1911's. Hard to tell, but it looks like it may have been re blued. Id value it in its current condition around 800-1300 depending on its wear/function. The economy has affected their prices.
        Last edited by CJ; 12-31-2010, 05:12 PM.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I can bring ya $200 tonight.
          DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

$250

Comment

$500
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Looks like the mainspring housing isn't original either. What's the mag look like?

Comment

Here are some more pics. I told my gf about the thread and she is very thankful for the feedback.

She also mentioned that if she can get $600, she would be happy to part with the pistol.
                  Last edited by Fastlane; 09-21-2016, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Here are some more pics. I told my gf about the thread and she is very thankful for the feedback.

She also mentioned that if she can get $600, she would be happy to part with the pistol.
                    Does she not shoot I assume? I'd reccommend keeping it, but I enjoy guns. If she's a keeper give her $600 and keep the gun in the family.

Comment

She is a keeper but she isn't a shooter at all. I already picked up a Hi-Point 9mm carbine from her and if I had the extra 6 bills I would buy it myself.

Comment

She is a keeper but she isn't a shooter at all. I already picked up a Hi-Point 9mm carbine from her and if I had the extra 6 bills I would buy it myself.
                        Trade it for the 1911 straight up and help her sell the Hi-Point!
                        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Thanks for pointers all. The gun is with a new owner as of this morning!

Comment

Working...
                          X