Netbooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netbooks

Anyone know anything about these? My laptop is about to take a shit I have a feeling and I wanted something smaller for just internet and music/video capabilities. I also like the fact that they are cheap as shit. Any recommendations? Thanks.

aside from the slight difference in styling between one brand/model and another..there is little difference between most of them. I've had a few and decided I wanted a real laptop that had a built in optical drive. They work fine for surfing the net and other light duty tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
      aside from the slight difference in styling between one brand/model and another..there is little difference between most of them. I've had a few and decided I wanted a real laptop that had a built in optical drive. They work fine for surfing the net and other light duty tasks.
      Yeah, and see thats what I mainly do. If I do work type stuff I have a work laptop, so its not really necessary that I have all the crap thats packaged with a typical Windows based laptop.

Comment

I bought one of these on a Black Friday deal, it works pretty good.

They don't have much processing power, so I could not use it. However for the average internet user they would do fine. Also there's no DVD/CD drive and only USB plugins on the one I got.
        WRX

Comment

Stay away from ANY of them that don't use the Intel Atom Processor. My first was an HP 2133 that looked simply badass but its horrible VIA processor totally ruined it. The Samsungs typically have great battery life (NB205). You might go to a store that carries a variety of them like Microcenter in Richardson or Frys to actually sample them. My dad recently picked up a Win7 Sony Netbook and the speakers on it are beyond horrible with almost no volume...but my old HP had FANTASTIC speakers that played very loudly. SSD drives are becoming common on them but they are pricey and small.

Comment

What are your thoughts on the Dell's? Here is the one I am looking at. Really basic.

Shop all categories on Dell.com. Explore the site map to find deals and learn about laptops, PCaaS, cloud solutions and more.

Comment

We use one as our primary computer here at the house and have for the past 1 1/2 years. For web and email its fine. The small screen took some getting used to for sure. The keyboard is starting to crap out so Im looking at replacements. Im thinking about the new dell duo.

Comment

I also travel a lot both air and ground and i like the compactness of these. I can fold it down easy and throw it in the car or the TSA bucket to scan.

Comment

My Acer Aspire One has been golden for me. I've had it for 2+ years. I use mine daily for my job - I don't miss a DVD drive at all. Anything I need to install, I either use a thumb drive or DL online.

Comment

Nice,speedy and compact. Alienware M11x
                    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                      What are your thoughts on the Dell's? Here is the one I am looking at. Really basic.

http://www.dell.com/us/eep/p/inspiron-mini1018/pd
                      Depends on if you think you may ever watch youtube videos or try to listen to online music/videos. It only has 1 mono speaker so the sound will be truly weak. Also...from my experience with only 1gb of ram it will be VERY sluggish with windows 7. Everything they list as being so great about it is "OPTIONAL" which means it will probably come with a 3 cell battery, no bluetooth, and a small and slow hard-drive. Look up the Toshiba NB205-310 and see if you can find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post

http://www.dell.com/us/eep/p/inspiron-mini1018/pd
                        I've got this exact one for my wife. I got the added battery and Windows 7 on it. the netbooks ok but VERY slow as far as RAM is considered. it has 1g and can hold 2g so I think the extra gig of ram will help a lot. My only other issue with it is the mouse buttons. it uses the pad for the clicker and to me its weird. Might not bother you but I'd suggest looking at it in person to be safe. the mouse pad is my main complaint.

Overall not a bad machine, just a lot slower than I expected

Comment

i only like the Nokia Booklet. costs more but its not a plastic heap. havent really messed with it though, some folks said it's slow.
                          www.hppmotorsports.com
                          ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Working...
                          X