Tesla to Texas: How Do You Like Us Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
    Man i hate that McKinney is trying to be Austin Lite already.
    Is it really? That’s a damn shame. Haven’t made it out that way in quite a while. I’m way out in a small town don’t ya know, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
      I'm not sure that's fair. Joe is a goofball, but I don't think you can put him in either a left or right category. If he's going to Austin it's likely because of many reasons (easier to get guests to fly there, It's cool, including music and entertainment, and it's some of the best and most accessible geography like hiking, springs and fun driving roads). I doubt an "oasis of the left" ranks too highly there. After all, he's bailing on LA because of the crazies and lefty taxes.

Edit: I heard this move is going to put something like $14mm more Spotify dollars in his pocket.
      He's a self proclaimed lefty, but he's not militant left by any means. He's bailing on CA because they're fucking nuts.

Comment

Is it really? That’s a damn shame. Haven’t made it out that way in quite a while. I’m way out in a small town don’t ya know, lol.
        Luckily its in the early stages so it'll be nice for a few years at least...but yeah they're pushing the whole music friendly scene. Lots of politics starting to lean towards the leftist metros. Huge investment in large public parks. Things that are great, and bring in all the people that want to freeload and wreck a good thing. We also had a mask mandate long before most other places, the mayor virtue signals through all the protesting and pandemic...

Its actually pretty balanced and great right now, I'm just basing my saltiness on the trend of texas cities that were once great coupled with the trend of political actions by the mayor.

Comment

• Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
          He's a self proclaimed lefty, but he's not militant left by any means. He's bailing on CA because they're fucking nuts.
          Ive seen/heard him say different, but whatever. I think it’s fair to say of all the celebrity whackos, and he’s surely a card carrying member, he’s far from the problem.

I’m curious how he’s going to handle the weed thing. Probably going to be fine on the personal side, but he’s not going to get Elon Musk to toke a J on air.

Comment

Luckily its in the early stages so it'll be nice for a few years at least...but yeah they're pushing the whole music friendly scene. Lots of politics starting to lean towards the leftist metros. Huge investment in large public parks. Things that are great, and bring in all the people that want to freeload and wreck a good thing. We also had a mask mandate long before most other places, the mayor virtue signals through all the protesting and pandemic...

Its actually pretty balanced and great right now, I'm just basing my saltiness on the trend of texas cities that were once great coupled with the trend of political actions by the mayor.
            Thankfully mayors don’t last forever. Sounds like you’re on the cusp of getting to enjoy the best of both worlds for some years before it goes looney. Enjoy it while you can.

I have a complicated relationship with the “culture” part of town. I work in a nice hub of that sort of thing, and have many friends that I will not talk politics with (though that includes most people), and I must admit that I get something out of it. Cool bars, music, art, fun weird people, I love it. It leads to interesting things that aren’t another strip mall with a nail salon as the anchor.

I could also live in small town Texas and be happy as a clam. But I won’t be at the 8:30 Baptist service which would cause some waves socially. And I would miss the ability to walk to 5 bars in the same night.

Comment

Ive seen/heard him say different, but whatever.
              he probably has - i just remember him saying it on a podcast recently. either way, i think he's a good addition to texas overall.

Comment

Thankfully mayors don’t last forever. Sounds like you’re on the cusp of getting to enjoy the best of both worlds for some years before it goes looney. Enjoy it while you can.

I have a complicated relationship with the “culture” part of town. I work in a nice hub of that sort of thing, and have many friends that I will not talk politics with (though that includes most people), and I must admit that I get something out of it. Cool bars, music, art, fun weird people, I love it. It leads to interesting things that aren’t another strip mall with a nail salon as the anchor.

I could also live in small town Texas and be happy as a clam. But I won’t be at the 8:30 Baptist service which would cause some waves socially. And I would miss the ability to walk to 5 bars in the same night.
                Dude i fully get what you're saying about benefiting from it. While we're not lucky enough to be walking distance to it...the town is still great. I'm at least within ebiking distance.

Aside from the pandemic...we are smack in the middle of the glory years. They even released a 11million grant for one of the local breweries to move into a new area targeted at live arts and outdoor entertainment. The parks are great to have with a 4 year old and the events are great. The taxes are low.

Comment

I'm surprised I haven't run into you already, we were spending a lot of time in McKinney until here recently. I don't think they are trying to be Austin, no where near it imo. I've been living in Collin county circa 1991, I moved from Dallas, when the school system was in shambles, the city council was corrupt as hell and it was becoming a shithole. Plano was my first city here in CC and it was nothing but suburbs, it shut down at 9:30pm, every day. The only restaurants with bars were up along 75. Everyone that lived in Plano worked in Dallas or west Plano/Addison. In 2000 I moved to Allen as I had had enough of the traffic in Plano and constant road construction that is still going on to this day.
                  Allen was a smaller version of Plano until they built Fairview and it is starting to be like Plano, traffic everywhere, and the entire area of Fairview Allen is blowing the fuck up.
                  When I moved to McKinney ('13-'19) it was just like Plano back in the day, just suburbs and the restaurants were up and down 75, still are. 380 is blowing up and Downtown McKinney has taken off but it's still sleepy because there's lots of older homes in the area around it so it can't expand. Franconia is at the outskirts and it is large as far as having music, good beer and fun times, but I wouldn't necessarily call it Austin or anywhere near it.
                  Also downtown McKinney has lost like 35% of its small restaurants and wine clubs since COVID and it will be while before it recovers I'm afraid.
                  I've since left the area and I'm out in Parker now, it really is country with Plano, Allen/Fairview and even McKinney just a 10 to 20 minutes drive away. I'm at Ricks, Hutchins and Franconia quite a bit and we are always at the Square for Christmas.

I've been to Austin and it sucks, the traffic is horrible, it take an hour or so to to get from one side of the city to the next and I believe its less than 10 miles deep from the 1 toll to I-35, Texas university and the hipsters have all but ruined that town and now it's full of hippies and leftie nuts that are trying to turn it into California. Fuck Austin, they are charging big city prices for hotels, parking and food, you'd think you were in NYC/California or some shit.
                  Originally posted by Silverback
                  Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I'll stay in the nurturing bosom of Benbrook. 5 minutes away from the benefits of the big city if you want it, but there's some sort of weird force field that keeps the big city crap out. At least, south of I-20. If any of you degenerates lets my secret out, I'll cut you.
                    It's all perspective, to me that crap hit Benbrook years ago, did a lot of off road between 2871, 820, 377 and the train tracks. The start of the end was when they blocked off the trail behind sonic. Then they started draining the lake every summer, don't know if they still do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                      I'm surprised I haven't run into you already, we were spending a lot of time in McKinney until here recently. I don't think they are trying to be Austin, no where near it imo. I've been living in Collin county circa 1991, I moved from Dallas, when the school system was in shambles, the city council was corrupt as hell and it was becoming a shithole. Plano was my first city here in CC and it was nothing but suburbs, it shut down at 9:30pm, every day. The only restaurants with bars were up along 75. Everyone that lived in Plano worked in Dallas or west Plano/Addison. In 2000 I moved to Allen as I had had enough of the traffic in Plano and constant road construction that is still going on to this day.
                      Allen was a smaller version of Plano until they built Fairview and it is starting to be like Plano, traffic everywhere, and the entire area of Fairview Allen is blowing the fuck up.
                      When I moved to McKinney ('13-'19) it was just like Plano back in the day, just suburbs and the restaurants were up and down 75, still are. 380 is blowing up and Downtown McKinney has taken off but it's still sleepy because there's lots of older homes in the area around it so it can't expand. Franconia is at the outskirts and it is large as far as having music, good beer and fun times, but I wouldn't necessarily call it Austin or anywhere near it.
                      Also downtown McKinney has lost like 35% of its small restaurants and wine clubs since COVID and it will be while before it recovers I'm afraid.
                      I've since left the area and I'm out in Parker now, it really is country with Plano, Allen/Fairview and even McKinney just a 10 to 20 minutes drive away. I'm at Ricks, Hutchins and Franconia quite a bit and we are always at the Square for Christmas.

I've been to Austin and it sucks, the traffic is horrible, it take an hour or so to to get from one side of the city to the next and I believe its less than 10 miles deep from the 1 toll to I-35, Texas university and the hipsters have all but ruined that town and now it's full of hippies and leftie nuts that are trying to turn it into California. Fuck Austin, they are charging big city prices for hotels, parking and food, you'd think you were in NYC/California or some shit.
                      You may have run into me and not known it. I'm not quite as much of a dousche in real life. I sure hope you're right about mckinney though. The brewery I'm referencing is Tupps. If you haven't been...its great. Were at ricks all the time, its where we got married. But when im in a drinking mood...were at the Celt.

If mckinney can pull off being a "centrist" austin, it'll be the best mid sized town in the world.

Where you live was one of our dream areas...were just not that baller. I think if we move anytime soon...itll be to downtown. Found a few lots we liked for relatively cheap.

Comment

• Nashville is Austin 2.0 except it has deeper music roots. However the musics changed and the populace has as well same clientele as Austin.

The highways are a clusterfuck, everyone is from somewhere else. There’s a billion people. I prefer to be outside of Nashville though.

Comment

• Originally posted by ryuu View Post
                          It's all perspective, to me that crap hit Benbrook years ago, did a lot of off road between 2871, 820, 377 and the train tracks. The start of the end was when they blocked off the trail behind sonic. Then they started draining the lake every summer, don't know if they still do.
                          I guess it’s all relative, but compared to NE Tarrant where I was (Keller), this is freakin Maybury. I don’t know what you’re talking about with the lake. It’s been consistently lake since I got here in ‘08.

Comment

Working...
                          X