No announcement yet.

Travel Trailer people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are going to tow occasionally - Airbags are a good option. You can stiffen up your rear suspension when need it without affecting your ride the rest of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
      I wonder if insurance cover things like this, or if you have to buy their supplemental insurance.
      It's going to be a separate policy, kind of a hybrid auto/home and priced between the two depending on the unit and usage.

As others have stated 5th wheels are better in every way. The master suite is almost always over the tongue portion which is square footage you won't have on a tow behind. They tow better obviously and since the pivot point of the hitch is in the middle of your bed instead of a foot behind it they are much easier to backup.

Tow behinds have advantages as well though. They are always cheaper and they weigh less. You get some storage on the tongue as well where most manufacturers place the propane tanks and batteries.

So what you need to do is take a realistic view of how you plan on using the RV. Traveling from DFW to California is a LONG drive across very diverse terrain. You will be going across a mountain range and towing at elevation for a while. It looks like you have a gas powered truck so it's not going to have anywhere near the power you expect in the mountains. Not a huge deal just don't count on passing anyone or getting any kind of reasonable fuel economy.

So to me the most important factor is how you plan on using it. If you plan on boondocking (camping without hookups) then you need to look for much bigger water tanks and onboard power. If you plan on RV camps though they'll always have facilities so you won't need to worry about tanks or onboard power and can probably go a little smaller.

Also as noted winter travel brings on a whole different set of challenges. Most models aren't designed with freezing in mind so if you plan on traveling in sub freezing temps you need to look for an all season trailer or at least one that can be weatherized. You basically use heated tanks, anti-freeze and insulate piping.

Comment

They make models meant for cold. Might not busy to find in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
          So to me the most important factor is how you plan on using it. If you plan on boondocking (camping without hookups) then you need to look for much bigger water tanks and onboard power.
          I have a separate 4000 watt generator I just tote in the bed of the truck and plug into the trailer when needed. Weighs 80lbs and has enough power for A/C and refrigerator if needed. Water tanks, discipline is definitely needed. The worst part of dry camping is having to wait in line to empty the shitter!

Comment

Wow, thanks for all of the great info everyone. A lot to digest, between this info and people I have talked to up here.

I guess its safe to say the best option for me would be to rent a 5th wheel. I don't like renting anything, but for my needs it sounds like the best route.
            I don't like what I've heard on multiple occasions about maintaining these things and I don't have a place to store it for now at least. I would probably use it cross country 3 times a year, and local camping maybe twice, 3 times.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
              It's going to be a separate policy, kind of a hybrid auto/home and priced between the two depending on the unit and usage.

As others have stated 5th wheels are better in every way. The master suite is almost always over the tongue portion which is square footage you won't have on a tow behind. They tow better obviously and since the pivot point of the hitch is in the middle of your bed instead of a foot behind it they are much easier to backup.

Tow behinds have advantages as well though. They are always cheaper and they weigh less. You get some storage on the tongue as well where most manufacturers place the propane tanks and batteries.

So what you need to do is take a realistic view of how you plan on using the RV. Traveling from DFW to California is a LONG drive across very diverse terrain. You will be going across a mountain range and towing at elevation for a while. It looks like you have a gas powered truck so it's not going to have anywhere near the power you expect in the mountains. Not a huge deal just don't count on passing anyone or getting any kind of reasonable fuel economy.

So to me the most important factor is how you plan on using it. If you plan on boondocking (camping without hookups) then you need to look for much bigger water tanks and onboard power. If you plan on RV camps though they'll always have facilities so you won't need to worry about tanks or onboard power and can probably go a little smaller.

Also as noted winter travel brings on a whole different set of challenges. Most models aren't designed with freezing in mind so if you plan on traveling in sub freezing temps you need to look for an all season trailer or at least one that can be weatherized. You basically use heated tanks, anti-freeze and insulate piping.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                Wow, thanks for all of the great info everyone. A lot to digest, between this info and people I have talked to up here.

I guess its safe to say the best option for me would be to rent a 5th wheel. I don't like renting anything, but for my needs it sounds like the best route.
                I don't like what I've heard on multiple occasions about maintaining these things and I don't have a place to store it for now at least. I would probably use it cross country 3 times a year, and local camping maybe twice, 3 times.
                Storage costs more than these things are worth, and if you don't have a place to store it, then renting is the only way to go.

Comment

I used to work in a company which did roadside assistence for both OEM and campers with Coachnet.

You would not believe the cost of breaking down in the wrong spot for a motorhome or big 5th wheel. Breaking down anywhere in Yosemite for example will likely be a $2000 and up tow because only certain routes are available for all the licensed operators for Yosemite and there can be some long detours to get you to a repair shop.

Also, check this article out. Pretty much all RVs are produced in the same small town with the same small labor pool. It's absolutely insane on the cost of RVs compared to the quality and durability of what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
                    I used to work in a company which did roadside assistence for both OEM and campers with Coachnet.

You would not believe the cost of breaking down in the wrong spot for a motorhome or big 5th wheel. Breaking down anywhere in Yosemite for example will likely be a $2000 and up tow because only certain routes are available for all the licensed operators for Yosemite and there can be some long detours to get you to a repair shop.

Also, check this article out. Pretty much all RVs are produced in the same small town with the same small labor pool. It's absolutely insane on the cost of RVs compared to the quality and durability of what you get.

https://www.curbed.com/2019/9/18/208...s-poor-quality
                    Blew a tire on on a Pace Arrow motorhome in bum fuck new mexico. One tire shop in town that stocked RV tires and they knew it. Tire was normally like $250, was $500 at this place.

Comment

I’ve had 3 5th wheel trailers over the last 10 years and really not had any issues. Change the tires every 4-5 years no matter what they look like, lube the wheel bearing every year. The maintenance costs go up as it gets older, but technically it’s a home the experiences a major earth quake every time you move it. We love our trailer and use every opportunity we can. I have a 2020 grand design RES375, that allows us to carry two 12 foot kayaks under the living room in the storage bay. I’ll post some photos in a while. Let me know if you have any questions

Last edited by Rick Modena; 05-07-2020, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_2000_tj View Post
                        lube the wheel bearing every year.
                        Every trailer owner I've asked around me all scoff at this. Say to check every year, but if everything looks good, replace seals and bearings every 3000 miles.

Comment

Found something else I kind of dig. Cheaper, less maintenance, and takes up less room.

Comment

a popup cabover, with a family inside? eek.

Comment

Originally posted by ss junk View Post
                              every trailer owner i've asked around me all scoff at this. Say to check every year, but if everything looks good, replace seals and bearings every 3000 miles.
                              30,000?
                              Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                                a popup cabover, with a family inside? eek.
                                Even for a short stint? lol. They make it look like it can be done. We are small people haha.

Comment

Working...
                                X