X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
    If you want to camp buy a tent.
    Oh boy, who let the poors in?

Go 5th wheel. The nightmare of pulling a heavy bumper pull RV is just that, a nightmare. Unless you have no other options, I wouldn't touch one.

We've been looking at them for awhile. Once I get some other nonsense paid off, I'll get a decent 5th wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
      Even for a short stint? lol. They make it look like it can be done. We are small people haha.
      If you give the kiddos a tent then hell yeah!

Comment

Even for a short stint? lol. They make it look like it can be done. We are small people haha.
        That's gonna suck. You might as well go with a popup.

If you think you can handle a smaller space check out the Scamp and Casita trailers. They are molded fiberglass and last forever. The initial costs are fairly low for even new ones and they actually keep some of their resale value. You can get them with a restroom on some models. They have a cult following like the Airstreams but are a whole lot cheaper to get into.

Honestly though you have the truck already. If you weight the cost/benefit it's not really going to make a lot of sense to buy something small. Either way you have to find somewhere to store it. You'll be dragging a box so fuel economy is going to suffer. You might as well go a little bigger and keep the family happy when you are actually using it.

So yeah get a toy hauler so you have a cargo trailer when you need it and they check all the other boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
          That's gonna suck. You might as well go with a popup.

If you think you can handle a smaller space check out the Scamp and Casita trailers. They are molded fiberglass and last forever. The initial costs are fairly low for even new ones and they actually keep some of their resale value. You can get them with a restroom on some models. They have a cult following like the Airstreams but are a whole lot cheaper to get into.

Honestly though you have the truck already. If you weight the cost/benefit it's not really going to make a lot of sense to buy something small. Either way you have to find somewhere to store it. You'll be dragging a box so fuel economy is going to suffer. You might as well go a little bigger and keep the family happy when you are actually using it.

So yeah get a toy hauler so you have a cargo trailer when you need it and they check all the other boxes.
          I'll check them out. Thanks! The only thing that i don't like about this over the cab is that my bed space is now gone, and I have a full toolbox I would have to remove. It seems like I like a few things about every type, but not one that fully suits me. The neat thing about the cab over is that it has jacks built in so I could easily store it at my mother in laws a few hours away and it's easily removed or installed.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
            If you give the kiddos a tent then hell yeah!
            haha I hear that!

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
              30,000?
              Newp. The setup is pretty primitive and grease can leak out.

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
              Go 5th wheel. The nightmare of pulling a heavy bumper pull RV is just that, a nightmare. Unless you have no other options, I wouldn't touch one.
              If you are that guy who is trying to do so on a truck that is equipped to maybe pull a motorcycle trailer w/out an anti-sway hitch then I see your point.

Comment

I'll check them out. Thanks! The only thing that i don't like about this over the cab is that my bed space is now gone, and I have a full toolbox I would have to remove. It seems like I like a few things about every type, but not one that fully suits me. The neat thing about the cab over is that it has jacks built in so I could easily store it at my mother in laws a few hours away and it's easily removed or installed.
                Yep, it's always a compromise. My plan right now is either a class B based on a GM van chassis or one of Thor's class C Outlaws. I really want a toy hauler but I don't want to spend $70k. So I could buy a trailer but then I need a truck. Or get a class B that can haul a trailer for my motorcycle. I can park a class B in my driveway, with a class C I'll need to store it or pour a slab and modify my fence.

I'm probably going to jump on the first Roadtrek or Pleasureway class B that pops up with low mileage in the $25k range. At least with those if I need bigger they won't depreciate much further.

Comment

I was about to say, if you want to go smaller, i would do a used Mercedes Chassis Class B, let someone else take the massive hit.

Comment

Yep, it's always a compromise. My plan right now is either a class B based on a GM van chassis or one of Thor's class C Outlaws. I really want a toy hauler but I don't want to spend $70k. So I could buy a trailer but then I need a truck. Or get a class B that can haul a trailer for my motorcycle. I can park a class B in my driveway, with a class C I'll need to store it or pour a slab and modify my fence.

I'm probably going to jump on the first Roadtrek or Pleasureway class B that pops up with low mileage in the $25k range. At least with those if I need bigger they won't depreciate much further.
                    Is it powered by a 6.0? If so that would be a nice rig.

Comment

If you're considering going cheaper / smaller like a pop up, look at hybrids. It much more than an old-school pop up; combines a pop up with a smaller trailer so you get a smaller package with more space once opened up.

I have no dog in this hunt as I've only been in one RV in my life, but we looked at them briefly a while back and I would need something light that our 1-ton Transit could tow (weak ass 4,500 pound tow rating).

Comment

If you go Class C, I have one piece of advice. Sit on the toilet before purchase. My parents had a 31ft class C, really nice rig except for the toilet. I'm not a big dude at 5'10", 190lbs, but I just barely fit on that toilet, it was TINY.

Comment

We have a f250 and have a bumper pull 28ft toy hauler with an equalizer sway hitch.. Unloaded it weighs 6,700 GVWR is 11,200...It pulls great. But last year we got caught in the southern California Santa Ana winds with 40-50mph cross winds and some butt puckering for a few hundred miles. Trailer was at about 9,800lbs with a full fresh water tank and every time i looked in the mirror i could see that trailer going down the road sideways and yanking that f250 all over the road

Comment

I've had my eye on one of these....

The first mass-produced, off-road-ready camper to be sold in the U.S. in decades is a winner

cha-ching, but nice and goes almost anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                            X