No announcement yet.

Buying a car with a missing title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of the time my attitude is no title no deal. But i'd allow for the rare exception under 2 conditions:

1. You really, really wanted the car and they're hard to find. Or damn hard to find for any kind of reasonable price. And its a situation you're not going to come across again.

2. You checked it out and its not stolen.

The reason I say this is I once sold a real decent 86 chevy silverado to some guy on payments. Long time ago. He was vouched for and he did make nearly all the payments of $250 per month. But, he missed the last 3. And $750 is $750, so I was going to go get it. I could easily resell a nice truck like that. But, somehow he'd gone and gotten another title to it. Even though I had my title that was printed before and never transferred (as proof I had rights to it) all the offices I contacted about it said if he had the truck, and a title printed by the state, I'd be stealing if I went and got it, no question. Didn't matter that I had an older title and he owed money. Far as the state was concerned its his now, the matter was settled when they printed him that new title.

Thus, as long as its not stolen, you'll likely be able to get that new title and then nobody is going to have any rights to it but you.
    WH

Comment

I tried to file for a lost title once. I bought an ATV from a Polaris dealer and when I paid it off, I was given a bill of sale. Long story short, they didn't have the title and pretty much told me to get bent. When I went to file for a lost title, the clerk said I had to contact the last person is was registered to BUT she couldn't tell me who it was for some reason. While we were talking, she slipped up and ended up saying the name and the city of the last registered person and it wasn't anywhere near by.

Long story short, I will never buy anything if it doesn't have a title.

Comment

Tell the seller to get the title in hand and you'll be a player.... make him do the leg work to get it done, it's unlikely he has anyone else standing by with cash to purchase an old Torino with no paper.

mardyn

Comment

Go see the car in person, meet the dude and tell him you are very interested but need to confirm that it's not stolen or have a lien on it... If he is still a dick, show him the cash and tell him it's his loss, then walk away no matter what.
          Originally posted by stevo
          Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Yeah I let the guy know that I wouldnt buy without a title. He agreed to get the title done before I buy if I decide I want it.

If it were local I would have gone to see it already. Its about a 2hr drive from me though
            1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

A bonded title does not mean it is no longer a blue title. The title surety bond is just a way for the DMV to have insurance in place to cover their behind in case the previous titled owner decides to claim the vehicle. The title bond surety company is pretty much on the hook with the DMV. The title bond is good for 3 years and the title may list bonded title, but it's not any less blue than any other "blue" titled vehicle.

It's not a difficult process at all and not very expensive. I actually do these for clients frequently. It can be a gamble for different reasons, specially in your situation.
              Allstate Insurance
              Dominguez Agency
              1101 E. Bardin Rd. suite 141
              Arlington, TX. 76018
              817-405-2011
              tdominguez@allstate.com
              Give us a call so we can take a look at your insurance needs, we may be able to save you $$!!

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
                Yeah I let the guy know that I wouldnt buy without a title. He agreed to get the title done before I buy if I decide I want it.

If it were local I would have gone to see it already. Its about a 2hr drive from me though
                Funny if you get the title and he ends up doing a title bond himself and the title will have the same branding you didn't want...
                Allstate Insurance
                Dominguez Agency
                1101 E. Bardin Rd. suite 141
                Arlington, TX. 76018
                817-405-2011
                tdominguez@allstate.com
                Give us a call so we can take a look at your insurance needs, we may be able to save you $$!!

Comment

TLDR: You provide funds for the terrorist car with no title or nah?

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
                    He said he does know or at least have the name of the previous owner.

What is this letter you mentioned? Like send the DMV a letter with a copy of the PO DL and the DMV will send a new title out? Who do they send the title to, the PO? Or is this just the filing for a lost title service?
                    They send the title to the registered owner. I had the lady sign a power of attorney that I could handle all the paperwork and title work. I used the copy of her DL and my address on the form. I was really shocked they sent it to me to be honest. Or walk in any major tax office with the registered owner and they will print it right off in front of you for 5 bucks. Carrollton is the one around here or use to be and covers a huge area. So you might have to call around to see the closest one that can print one on site.

Replacing a Lost Title in Texas

The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) handles the issuance of all new and duplicate titles in the state. To replace a title:

Complete an Application for a Certified Copy of Certificate of Title (Form VTR-34).
                    Provide your driver's license. (A copy by mail).
                    Pay the $2 title fee by mail or $5.45 title fee in person.
                    Continue reading this page for more information about how to obtain a replacement copy of your Texas vehicle title

Originally posted by Stng5Pnt8 View Post
                    A bonded title does not mean it is no longer a blue title.
                    When I did my 66 Mustang 15 years ago or so it was absolutely brown when they handed it to me. It also said bonded on it. Still sold it with no problems.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Stng5Pnt8 View Post
                      Funny if you get the title and he ends up doing a title bond himself and the title will have the same branding you didn't want...
                      He claims he has a contact that can get a blue title for it. Through what means, Idk. Perhaps they register it in another state and then take that title and register it in Texas. Maybe they find the old owner and get a lost title. Again, if they get it done with a clean tx title it works for me.
                      1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Crawfish View Post
                        No title no sale. Keep it like that you will not get into any bs.
                        x2
                        Two in the pink and one in the stink

Comment

Working...
                        X