No announcement yet.

Qs about winning in small claims court.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qs about winning in small claims court.

So I took a guy to small claims court because of some money he owed me. He got a lawyer and I represented myself but I still won. Now I have a piece of paper with a judgement in my favor. Anyone know how I'm can make him pay up now?

Comment

have you tried hitting him?

god bless.
      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
        have you tried hitting him?

god bless.
        Trust. Part of me wanted the judge to just give us 5 minutes in the octagon...

Comment

Originally posted by Memo View Post
          So I took a guy to small claims court because of some money he owed me. He got a lawyer and I represented myself but I still won. Now I have a piece of paper with a judgement in my favor. Anyone know how I'm can make him pay up now?
          There is no provision for forcing payment in small claims court in TX. I normally file theft of services with the local PD instead of trying small claims court. The one thing that it is good for is getting a judgement large enough to then take them to county court to collect.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

guy I worked with took someone to small claims and he lost then said he wouldn't pay because there was nothing they could do.

Comment

guess you could put a lien on something like a house if they own one.

Comment

Originally posted by txstangnut View Post
                guess you could put a lien on something like a house if they own one.
                Nope. There are ways to do that but not from a small claims judgement.
                Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Aren't you... fuck I don't know in contempt of court if you don't abide by the ruling? WTF is the point of court if you can just say "Eh fuck them I ain't paying!" Seems like if you didn't abide by what was decided in court, you'd be off to jail soon enough.
                  WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                    Aren't you... fuck I don't know in contempt of court if you don't abide by the ruling? WTF is the point of court if you can just say "Eh fuck them I ain't paying!" Seems like if you didn't abide by what was decided in court, you'd be off to jail soon enough.
                    Nope, nothing. Small claims court in TX has no method for forcing collections. Every now and then you will get a JP that will do something to help you but in general they do not do a thing. They are even very clear about that in the filing papers.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                      Nope, nothing. Small claims court in TX has no method for forcing collections. Every now and then you will get a JP that will do something to help you but in general they do not do a thing. They are even very clear about that in the filing papers.
                      What is the point of it, then? Why would anyone even bother going to small claims court in Texas? Doesn't surprise me at all that more of the legal system is fucked up, just wondering what the point of it is if the ruling has no power.
                      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Can you at least hit someone's credit score?

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                          What is the point of it, then? Why would anyone even bother going to small claims court in Texas? Doesn't surprise me at all that more of the legal system is fucked up, just wondering what the point of it is if the ruling has no power.
                          Some people do not pay because they believe they are in the right. Once a JP says they are wrong they will pay up. Companies will normally pay up.

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                          Can you at least hit someone's credit score?
                          Nope. You can't do shit. It may show up on its own but you can not force it to.

Comment

I had At&t put a judgement against me back in 1999 for an unpaid bill that was due to my ex-wife

I said fuck it and didn't pay it...When I bought my house in 2010 that judgement came up and I had to pay it ($2,500) for the underwriter to approve my loan.

Judgements do I have a way of creating havoc later on down the line

Comment

So basically we need to haul all this enforcement over from child support, to small claims. Just need to move some shit around thats all
                              WH

Comment

Working...
                              X