Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s going on with school basketball shootings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s going on with school basketball shootings?

Checked the Fox4 news site and saw there has been about 4 shootings at school basketball games in the last week? Wonder why the sudden spike?

I only heard about the one like a week ago... but I also haven't watched that much news other than to see if someone went full retard in VA yesterday.
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Just youth sports drama these days, if it's not shooting, it's fighting during games and/or even practices sometimes...etc. See craziness multiple times a year (arguing and some fights, no shootings personally seen).
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Animals...

mardyn

Comment

poor parenting first and foremost. Hood rats doing hood rat things.

Comment

The Basketball Americans are a twitchy group.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
              poor parenting first and foremost. Hood rats doing hood rat things.
              Yup same reason for the bar shooting in SA.

Comment

There is no correct answer.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                  Just youth sports drama these days, if it's not shooting, it's fighting during games and/or even practices sometimes...etc. See craziness multiple times a year (arguing and some fights, no shootings personally seen).
                  By parents in the stands or players?

I heard of the one last week but the article said it wasn't a school ISD game.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                    By parents in the stands or players?

I heard of the one last week but the article said it wasn't a school ISD game.
                    Almost always the parents man - kids tend to handle each other pretty quickly or a coach steps in quick. I'd say 80% of what I see is in baseball (not local rec usually, but did in our 6U days), rest is softball and basketball.

Hell, last fall parents from both sides had to essentially protect some umps from a Dad/Coach that was convinced a ball hit his kid during a pitch. Our pitcher was throwing 60ish at the time - if the ball hit him in anyway, he would've shown a reaction - this Dad (maybe one other) was going after them after the game and them going to the parking lot.

This is why I sit in OF past 1 or 3. Good view, no drama. Also why I'm getting out of rec coaching - done with the parents for a lot of different reasons. Rather focus on my kids and it eases our schedules quite a bit. Those other experts can step up.

Comment

Yeah - just re-read your thing - remember with all this select ball and so on - I think a lot of parents are on edge.

1. They think their child is gods gift to the team.
                      2. They are spending 2-5K a season per kid (travel, hotels, fees, cages, lessons) so easily riled up.
                      3. It's hot as hell out and even parents are tired and cranky. lol
                      4. Frankly, officiating is not always very good - but parents cannot recognize the difference between an official sucking for both teams vs favoring a team (favoring, I do not see very often) - if it sucks for both sides, just deal with the game given and escalate after game if you have to do so.
                      5. A lot of parents living their dream through their kids and the kids pay for making kid mistakes.

So on and so on. I'm not perfect either, but after doing this for 5 years now (kids are 10) - you tend to learn how to just chill, talk with coaches after 24 hours, talk with kids differently, and all that jazz. Unless a coach, I don't say squat to officials unless offering them a water or something.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                        Yeah - just re-read your thing - remember with all this select ball and so on - I think a lot of parents are on edge.

1. They think their child is gods gift to the team.
                        2. They are spending 2-5K a season per kid (travel, hotels, fees, cages, lessons) so easily riled up.
                        3. It's hot as hell out and even parents are tired and cranky. lol
                        4. Frankly, officiating is not always very good - but parents cannot recognize the difference between an official sucking for both teams vs favoring a team (favoring, I do not see very often) - if it sucks for both sides, just deal with the game given and escalate after game if you have to do so.
                        5. A lot of parents living their dream through their kids and the kids pay for making kid mistakes.

So on and so on. I'm not perfect either, but after doing this for 5 years now (kids are 10) - you tend to learn how to just chill, talk with coaches after 24 hours, talk with kids differently, and all that jazz. Unless a coach, I don't say squat to officials unless offering them a water or something.
                        What does this have to do with the kids in the stand doing the shootings?

Comment

You said it...basketball...and parenting.
                          Originally posted by Da Prez
                          Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                          Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Working...
                          X