Slow days at work, looks like it's time for the project car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow days at work, looks like it's time for the project car

For the last few weeks we have been very slow and it is just getting slower and slower with each passing day. I have my project 82 fairmont that hasn't had much done to it in a very long time. I stopped working on it when I brought my house 12 years ago. Worked on it some about 7 years ago (I think) when I discovered water had found it's way into 2 cylinders causing low compression. After that I lost motivation but refuse to give up and get rid of it.

We have a shop of about 60 techs and getting as few as 60 cars in a day right now. A lot of our time we have been spending just shooting the shit and project cars are finding their way into the shop. After talking to the wife she insists I get it up here and work on it. I'm not sure about spending the money but she said, "were fine, just try to not spend more than $5,000 on it this month and try to have it at least running."

It's a homemade blow-thru turbo setup on a 302. I dont even know where I want to go with it at the moment. Eventually I want it to be at least 600rwhp, most likely a built T5, build 8.8 blah blah blah. The engine it currently has is Keith craft a .030 302 with ported E7s but the walls are probably toast. I can get a dirt cheap 30 over block and swap the rotating assembly and call it a day and keep it around 500hp for now. Or can get a level 20 DSS block, or go .40 over and get new pistons on current block. I'd like to out some aluminum heads but it might be beyond my current budget. Anybody have anything lying around? I have been out of the game for a while and been focusing on buying guns. Now back to hotrodding.
    Originally posted by Marisa
    we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Sounds cool man, let’s see some pics
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

I was trying to find the "this thread is worthless without pics" meme...
      Originally posted by Silverback
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

A couple of buddies do paint and body are taking their projects to work to help stay busy.

Comment

If anybody wants to do some much needed TLC on my '92 coupe to keep themselves busy, just let me know! The list is so long it makes me hang my head in shame that I've let it go for so long.

I'm so busy right now I can't see straight.

Comment

Ok here are a few pics of my junk....and the car. First one was Wednesday evening after its first wash in 10 years. Next 2 are Thursday morning. Last is Friday morning. So I was told the block was .030 over and discovered it is standard bore. Took the block to the machine shop Friday after work to be gone through and it will need a bore. Right now I am debating on a very budget build or going 331 for not a whole lot more with a scat stroker. I will keep the E7s which I were told were ported but dont really appear to be. I dont really know because I dont know what stock E7s look like. The boost will overcome lack of flow enough to split the block.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk
            we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

with your 600rwhp goal forget DSS and just go with a Dart block

Factory blocks tend to get a little unhappy above the 500 mark

Comment

I'm going to see where I get, still need to upgrade the trans, diff. Full suspension so I will keep the boost turned down at first. I think instead of a dart block I may eventually build a 351 to go 600 all day plus maybe a little spray for the hell of it.

truth.

Comment

Nice sleeper and lmao of your car being at the MB service dept...
                  Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by red89notch View Post
                    I'm going to see where I get, still need to upgrade the trans, diff. Full suspension so I will keep the boost turned down at first. I think instead of a dart block I may eventually build a 351 to go 600 all day plus maybe a little spray for the hell of it.
                    Thats what I would do, 351 stroked and bored out to a 4xx cubic inch since you have the room.

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
                      with your 600rwhp goal forget DSS and just go with a Dart block

Factory blocks tend to get a little unhappy above the 500 mark
                      Back in the day I realized that I had gotten really good at tuning when I could split a factory 5.0 block right up the middle without blowing the head gaskets. I remember thinking my engine was running rough once and discovered that the only thing holding the block together was the oil pan and the intake manifold.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Use race gas and retard the timing at the torque peak and it will live for quite a while.
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Dang that thing looks clean. Is that the same one you showed me in your garage back in 2009?

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                            Dang that thing looks clean. Is that the same one you showed me in your garage back in 2009?
                            That's the same one man. It looks better in pictures than in person. But maybe one day I will get the body straight and repaint it.

truth.

Comment

E7's have a knot in the exhaust port if they are untouched for smog stuff. I think it's in the roof if I remember right.

Comment

Working...
                              X