No announcement yet.

Random car thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 275/315 tires. Rears rub some not sure if it’s worth massaging to keep them on

Comment

• Baseball bat time!
      Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
      There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

• Originally posted by CWO View Post
        Thanks Henry, I am going to miss it, I've always admired your style.
        Shit, you let it go for a deal! These guys are added several thousand to it...

Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
            Anymore info on this setup? That looks fuckin' rad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ratt View Post
              Anymore info on this setup? That looks fuckin' rad.

Mickey Thompson's Challenger I. First American car to break 400 mph.

Turned down by Chrysler, Mickey appealed to Knudsen and Pontiac to supply the power for his soon-to-be famous Challenger I streamliner. “They sent us four stock [389] test engines–they weren’t even new,” Voigt said. “Pontiac freighted them to Mickey’s house in El Monte. We had a helluva time unloading them because we didn’t have a forklift or anything like that.”

But with Pontiac power, the development of Challenger I continued. Placed inside chalk drawings on the floor of Mickey’s backyard garage, the four Pontiac engines were positioned on 2×4 and 4×4 blocks, while Mickey and Fritz drew a sardine-can-tight outline of the streamliner. The plan was for the front engines to face backwards, driving the front wheels, while the rear engines handled the rear wheels.
              Each one started as a non-blown 389 and it ran 362 mph

but ended up at 415 ci making 700+ hp (with 6-71 blower) for the 400+ mph stuff. Should be noted that the two driving the front wheels were reverse rotation.

EDIT: Trying to find another picture of the actual guts of it all, and came across this. It sounds like that setup never made it into the car.
              That mocked-up chain-drive transfer arrangement didn't make it to the running version of the car if I remember correctly. Power went from each engine into a conventional clutch, then into a side-shifter LaSalle gearbox, and from there into a Cyclone quick-change with one axle blanked off (4 clutches, 4 gearboxes and 4 quick-change rear ends). Engine synchronization was by very careful adjustment of hydraulic throttle linkage.
              Last edited by Strychnine; 02-23-2018, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• That's an insane amount of ingenuity. Thanks for the info!

Comment

• That Gremlin rod is so ugly it's almost cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                    That Gremlin rod is so ugly it's almost cool.
                    Agreed.

Damn. That's a lot going on.
                    Why am I drawn to this?

Comment

• The gremlin has an oddly sexy set of angles. Can't believe I just said that.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• That's a David Freiburger creation

Comment

• For sale thread (not mine)

SOLD I have put a lot of thought into this, and now it's time. My UZJ40 is up for sale. It's time to do another project, and I don't have the space to keep this one. I don't have to sell it, and I will only consider selling to someone that will care for it and use it as much as I have...

Build thread

This thread is a bit unconventional, as is my build. The reason being is that the vehicle is almost complete after over 2 years of hard work on it, and I've kept the build relatively quiet. The 2UZ swap is still somewhat rare, and there's only one that I know of using the 5 speed auto...

Comment

• High five on the gremlin. Takes balls to change from all original ,stock, and numbers matching show queen.

Comment

• I couldn't be happier with my car collection.

Comment

• Another angle of that famous shot...

Comment

Working...
                                X