Kalsarikännit or: Awesome words we don't have in English

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kalsarikännit or: Awesome words we don't have in English

I'm surrounded by Finns these days, and I've learned that they have some words that we need to Americanize (b/c you'll never be able to pronounce them their way)

Kalsarikännit - The feeling when you are going to get drunk home alone in your underwear – with no intention of going out.

Pussikalja - (literally 'bag beer') - buying a bagful of beers and getting drunk in a public park

Päiväkännit - Deliberately getting day drunk. Emphasis on deliberately. There's another word for an accidental day-buzz

Think Trump would let us start using these, or is it different when you're getting drunk at home wearing a MAGA hat?

Oh, and one more for the morning after those adventures: Huutoyrjö
    Now, this, ladies and gentlemen, is artistry. The word "Yrjö" translates to "George" as in the name, it is a name in Finnish as well, rather than a word. "Huuto" means to scream, or yell. Put the two together and you get the beautiful word for SCREAMING WHILE VOMITING, or vomit screaming. Another term for this, I've been told, is "Sotahuuto" which means war cry.

that's good stuff. We just call the first one alcoholism.

*EDIT* all of them.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Trump doesn't drink.

Comment

Working...
      X