Heart Attack and Stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart Attack and Stroke

I recently learned the value of life. Wife and I finished riding our atv’s at rocky ridge. Which sucks based on go-pro video from the ride. Loaded the atv’s up on trailer and headed home. While driving I started to pull to side of road, looked at my wife and said “I love you, call 911” then died. She slammed truck into park from passenger seat was able to flag down some help to get me out of truck and start CPR. still have fractured ribs from that...
    In total I died 3-4 times (unclear based on who you talk to) that day between initial heart attack and hospital doing their thing. Heart disease runs in my family, mom had heart attack several years ago and her Mom and Dad both died from heart disease. I smoked for 20 years leading up to my heart attack which was a big contributing factor.
    I had 90% blockage in one artery and 40% in another. 2 stents, lots of tests, daily therapy, 13 daily prescriptions and over $200k in bills later I’m about 95% of where I was before (still have some short-term memory issues from stroke) and being released from rehab next week.
    I don’t remember anything from about 2 weeks prior to event until I woke up in hospital. It’s kinda surreal knowing it happened, seeing pictures, and knowing all the friends and family that visited yet not remembering any of it.

I’m only 37, which goes to show you’re not safe at any age. Get your heart checked and take care of yourselves.

Never forget that you are not promised tomorrow. It been about 1.5 months since my event. I spent the first 20 or so days in the hospital. I’ve made good progress on recovery and hope to be back driving very soon.

I don’t post this for notoriety or to be in the spotlight, just to share my experience and hope it may help encourage/inspire others to get checked before it’s too late.

Be safe and cherish each day to its fullest.
    Last edited by BlackGT; 02-17-2018, 07:52 PM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Damn man...that's brutal. Did you have any pre-symptoms?

My doc flipped shit about my cholesterol, so I'm on meds, trying to eat better, and so forth. That was all kind of "whatever", but the call from the cardiologist setting up an appointment freaked me out. All, and I mean ALL, of my other vitals are deadnuts in the middle. Blood sugar is good, BP is good, good cholesterol is good, etc.

Just that cholesterol being high. Both my folks have issues with it, are on meds, and continue to live/eat/do whatever they want, so I figure now is the time to get after it, drop some pounds, and see if I can get out in front of it.

Comment

Thank God we aren't adding you to the memorial list. get well man.

Comment

My cholesterol is good, but blood is “sticky”. So taking 2 blood thinners for that which means I bleed like a stuck pig with the littlest cut. BP is good but on BP meds to keep it low and reduce strain on heart...
        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Holy cow, glad you are on the road to recovery.

4Bnagen, we can add him, then edit and say brought back, then add, and edit... 3 times, at least.

Comment

Dang man, harrowing story.

Welcome back 3 of 4 times over!

Comment

Thats rough man, glad to hear that you're still kicking. If you knew that heart disease ran in your family, why in the hell did you smoke for 20 years?

Comment

Glad you’re ok!

This is terrifying to me since we spent so much time and money getting pregnant with our first and I’m 33. I can’t imagine leaving a 4 year old fatherless.

Comment

Smokeing is the single worst thing you can do to yourself. Glad your ok. Having heart issues myself I know it can be scary.

Take care and follow the instructions on rehab to the letter.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                    Thats rough man, glad to hear that you're still kicking. If you knew that heart disease ran in your family, why in the hell did you smoke for 20 years?
                    Typical “it won’t happen to me” mentality. Never been more wrong...seems to be hitting every generation earlier. Moms parent both died in their late 50’s, mom had heart attack in her 40’s, now me in my 30’s...

Comment

I’m 38 started having chest pains couldn’t breath sharp pain in neck numb face etc. Got scared a few times had to pull over and walk it off. Felt like I was suffocating. I joined a gym last sept and do an hr of cardio daily. I try to eat less fat red meat pork and artery clogging shit now. Excercise has really helped me I rarely have panic attacks anymore. It’s one of those things you don’t care about until that day you think your gonna die. That day changes everything take care

Comment

Shit, that's rough. Glad you're still here.

Of all the weird feelings your body can give you on any given day, what was it about that moment that made you 'know' and say that to your wife?

Comment

Glad you're doing better. I didn't really take things too serious until my brother died from a heart attack.. Huge slap in the face to pay attention to my health. Many dont get a second chance..glad you did
                          Last edited by dcs13; 02-18-2018, 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling, as usual

Comment

Glad to hear you are ok. I am 34 and that is some scary shit. My family has pretty good medical history but it still wouldn't hurt for me to get a complete physical done and get checked.
                            I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Well, that's quite the story. Glad to hear you recovered.

Comment

Working...
                              X