No announcement yet.

Anyone bought or drove a Mach E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The expensive 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe hybrid makes no sense of owning it with it's crappy 21 miles of electric

Comment

Stupid question time... Why is it these companies don't build in parallel a series of alternators that recharge these batteries on the go with the addition of a capacitor or two? Why is it they die all of the way down and need to recharge at a stationary area? Is this a dumb question or what's the deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
        Stupid question time... Why is it these companies don't build in parallel a series of alternators that recharge these batteries on the go with the addition of a capacitor or two? Why is it they die all of the way down and need to recharge at a stationary area? Is this a dumb question or what's the deal?
        That would be converting electrical energy to mechanical energy just to go back to electrical... and there's no free lunch so you lose overall energy at every step.

But via regenerative braking they can can harvest some of the energy that would otherwise be shed off as heat during braking.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post

But via regenerative braking they can can harvest some of the energy that would otherwise be shed off as heat during braking.
          I had a rental Ford Fusion that had the regen brakes. I kept seeing the gauge go back and forth and wondered if it was legit or as worthless as those UHaul mechanical mpg gauges they have lol.

Comment

mechanical mpg gauges
            Aren't those just re-labeled vacuum gauges?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                The expensive 2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe hybrid makes no sense of owning it with it's crappy 21 miles of electric
                You get a healthy tax credit, lower center of gravity and gobs of torque at idle. I know it's not a 4 cylinder 5 speed Ranger but it does have a purpose.

Personally I work from home and the place I most frequently drive to is under 10 miles away, I've literally bicycled there before. A mild plug in hybrid would be great for me personally. In the case of the Jeep it still has all the regular Jeep stuff, you don't have to plug it in. It's really just a bigger traction battery on an already existing hybrid drivetrain.

Being on a Wrangler though it's also a proof of concept of sorts. Motor Mythbusters just did an electric car under water episode and their Leaf failed miserably since it wasn't engineered to do that. That Wrangler is designed to run with water, not completely under of course but it can traverse streams without shorting out.

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                  YOUTUBE - "The Mystery of Cars That Ran on Air, Water"
                  Jonathan Ward can build a badass ride, but this whole "run on water" shit is retarded.

Back in the the day there was a rumor that Cummins diesels could run on water. Well Clessie Cummins built a diesel powered boat and had some friends out on the water one day when they "ran out" of fuel. Obviously there was still some bit of fuel in the tank, but the pickup tube wasn't long enough to get to it. He slowly added water to the tank until he could get it started then powered them back to shore while running on water... or that's how his dipshit friends told the story. In reality he put water in the tank to raise the fuel level until the pickup could get enough to power the engine and he let them think what they want so the rumor was born.

Comment

Aren't those just re-labeled vacuum gauges?
                    As far as I've been able to tell, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                      You get a healthy tax credit, lower center of gravity and gobs of torque at idle. I know it's not a 4 cylinder 5 speed Ranger but it does have a purpose.

Personally I work from home and the place I most frequently drive to is under 10 miles away, I've literally bicycled there before. A mild plug in hybrid would be great for me personally. In the case of the Jeep it still has all the regular Jeep stuff, you don't have to plug it in. It's really just a bigger traction battery on an already existing hybrid drivetrain.

Being on a Wrangler though it's also a proof of concept of sorts. Motor Mythbusters just did an electric car under water episode and their Leaf failed miserably since it wasn't engineered to do that. That Wrangler is designed to run with water, not completely under of course but it can traverse streams without shorting out.
                      21 miles at $65,000 dollars is a waste of money and i don't even know what the hybrid rubicon costs

Jonathan Ward can build a badass ride, but this whole "run on water" shit is retarded.

Back in the the day there was a rumor that Cummins diesels could run on water. Well Clessie Cummins built a diesel powered boat and had some friends out on the water one day when they "ran out" of fuel. Obviously there was still some bit of fuel in the tank, but the pickup tube wasn't long enough to get to it. He slowly added water to the tank until he could get it started then powered them back to shore while running on water... or that's how his dipshit friends told the story. In reality he put water in the tank to raise the fuel level until the pickup could get enough to power the engine and he let them think what they want so the rumor was born.
                      hahaha sounds about right

Comment

Working...
                      X