How much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much?

...Do you think this hobby would cost you? Wow. So awesome.

MEGA-BUCKS!!! Not impressed with the 380's flight characteristics either! Flew in one to Australia. Seemed we were doing a Dutch Roll the entire trip.
    Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

100% chance it would eat shit the first time I flew it.

Comment

It can get stupid expensive for something like that... hell, just for the orange biplane below I spent almost $1k just on the parts to put it all together. The yellow one was like $500 all in but was bought used. The two small foamies in there were only about $200 each, but then you need batteries, charger, and a transmitter.

Originally posted by stevo
        Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

I remember back in like 1992 or so I had a neighbor who was big into the propeller fiberglass planes like that. I feel as though drones have kind of made that stuff somewhat obsolete, but these turbojet planes are on a whole other level. I think I read some of those jet engines cost $20k/ea.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
            I remember back in like 1992 or so I had a neighbor who was big into the propeller fiberglass planes like that. I feel as though drones have kind of made that stuff somewhat obsolete, but these turbojet planes are on a whole other level. I think I read some of those jet engines cost $20k/ea.
            Drones are perfect for hobbyists that want a quick fix, but that will never replace the experience of building and flying your own airplane. The flight time on these builds is nothing compared to the time spent putting them together.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
              Drones are perfect for hobbyists that want a quick fix, but that will never replace the experience of building and flying your own airplane. The flight time on these builds is nothing compared to the time spent putting them together.
              I never understood why you wouldn't just get a pilot license. Why would you fly something you aren't actually in flying?

Should've prefaced it with I never understood rc.

Comment

Did you not read what you quoted? These guys want to build models, not fly airplanes. People that want to be pilots don't ,mess with RC, any more that racecar drivers do.

Comment

A typical jumbo jet setup in that scale will run you close to 25k. Those particular jet engines are Mamoths I think and are 5k each. Its another 2k for the fuel system and close to a grand for the starting system. Landing gear is just over a grand and you will have $2000+ in high power, metal gear servos and then another $800 in batteries. Now yo have to buy the jet and TX/RX plus most have on board telemetry and cameras with flight data recorders.
                  Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

I only got into the smaller high speed fighter jets with brushless motors and thats about a grand. I used to be into 3D helicopters but they are a couple grand and every single damn flight was $80-$500 to fix the damn thing. I could have a perfect flight, nera perfect landing and it would tip over and blow the blades, break main drive gear and bend the rotor and main shafts..... got out of that quick. Then did drones and back then a high quality racing drone that could do 100ish was a couple grand.

Buddy of mine in Maui made a 1/5 scale SR71 with some giant Australian turbines with working afterburners. Jet could do 350+ but with a 6 mile radio range it could get out of range in a hurry! I am sure it could have broken 500 MPH if you could follow it or use a SAT based radio system with FPV. It was bad ass and if we wanted to see it fly he would have to take an entire week prepping it for 25 minutes of flight. If memory serves hes into it about 45k. Its been 4 or 5 years since I talked to him so I gotta message him and have him send me some pictures. Jets freakin awesome! I know the Rudders came up to my nose. Once he freaked out his wife because he let his 2 year old sit on it while he taxied to the runway and had her convinced he was taking his boy for a ride. She grabbed him by the back of his hair and said "I will kill you in front of all your friends here" LOL
                    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
                      I never understood why you wouldn't just get a pilot license. Why would you fly something you aren't actually in flying?

Should've prefaced it with I never understood rc.

I share this sentiment. I can tell by looking at it that it's one of those things that would be entertaining for 20 minutes then I'd be done. The little cars can be fun for a good 30 minutes though. Then you break it and throw it in the closet for 10 years.

If they like building models so much, why not just build the model? Why risk all your time and effort by flying it when it could crash and fuckin disintegrate. That argument makes no sense.
                      WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                        I share this sentiment. I can tell by looking at it that it's one of those things that would be entertaining for 20 minutes then I'd be done. The little cars can be fun for a good 30 minutes though. Then you break it and throw it in the closet for 10 years.

If they like building models so much, why not just build the model? Why risk all your time and effort by flying it when it could crash and fuckin disintegrate. That argument makes no sense.
                        I wonder...

Comment

That hobby cost alot less than some of ya drinking habits.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                            I wonder...
                            Yeah me too! What you wonderin about?

I wonder... what... um.. your mudders udders look like. Oh wait I already know
                            WH

Comment

Working...
                            X