Automotive GPS trackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automotive GPS trackers

I’m looking for anyone who has experience with GPS trackers in cars. I’m looking for a reasonably inexpensive (not cheap garbage) method to adding GPS tracking capabilities to a couple of my cars. I’ve seen some styles that plug into the OBD port, that’s not an option for me. I’ve heard some people say toss a phone in the backseat.... well I have a few older iPhones laying but I’m not sure ATT would activate them.
    Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Hmmm, the only advice I could give would be for an ODB type unit...
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Most car lots wire them into the tail lights

Comment

If you don't want to log any vehicle data, and only want GPS, forget the OBD port - too obvious.
        If GPS is all you care about then you just need to find a piece of hardware that works reliably, can be spliced into power anywhere, and hidden easily.

What's your budget per unit?

Comment

I used this company when I financed cars. It's like $119 a unit and you get two years of tracking, then you have to reactivate it. Attaches to any constant hot, and does have starter disable capabilities if you want to use it. Aside from one arrogant dipshit claiming that my lincoln continental only had one 12V constant hot in the entire car, I never had a single issue with them.

Comment

MasTrack.com but it's OBD based...

I use it on one of my vehicles.

mardyn

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
              Hmmm, the only advice I could give would be for an ODB type unit...
              Megasquirt doesn’t have much for OBD ports
              Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

I use the Directed models VSM350 or DSM350. Usually $299 retail installed and $240 for 3 years of service. Unlimited locating, geofence, over speed, hot spot notification all through your phone. You can add unlock, starter kill, etc at additional cost. There are other models from Omega or Compustar as well. some offer a year of service with purchase. Street Eagle is another one. Real time tracking with history is expensive.

Comment

VYNCS - $75 no additional subscriptions cost unless you need less that 3 minute updates -tracking, trips, geofence and vehicle monitoring but its OBD. Takes seconds to install and setup.
                  App is pretty decent and can track trips for past 30 days.

Comment

Working...
                  X