Face masks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
    I haven't worn a single mask since the start. If a store requires it I don't go in.
    x2 I've yet to wear one. Unfortunately, I have to fly next week and the airlines/airports supposedly require them. I will half-ass wear mine around my neck.

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
      I think the masks are a liberal thing.

Here in TN you'll see more people of color wear them.

If that's not pc way of putting it then I don't apologize
      Hey, at least you didn't use that horrible N word. :-)

Comment

So what's the deal, why is everyone so pissed off about wearing masks? Is it the "you can't take my liberty" fucks behind it?

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
          So what's the deal, why is everyone so pissed off about wearing masks? Is it the "you can't take my liberty" fucks behind it?
          Its the "you told me they don't work last month but now you're forcing me to wear them" crowd.

Or the "wearing a mask for 8+ hours a day is miserable crowd and makes very little difference...if any at all".

Maybe even the "nobody wears them correctly, or they even have vents in that convert coughing into a COVID jet." Crowd

Facemasks are the new tinfoil hat.

Comment

Because I live in America, not fucking China that’s why.

Comment

Personally, I like the self important busybodies who claim they are doing everyone else a favor by wearing a mask and not transmitting a virus. Most of the people being flabby fat fucks who eat ice cream for dinner and couldn't jog a mile to save their lives. Thanks for looking out for me!
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                Its the "you told me they don't work last month but now you're forcing me to wear them" crowd.

Or the "wearing a mask for 8+ hours a day is miserable crowd and makes very little difference...if any at all".

Maybe even the "nobody wears them correctly, or they even have vents in that convert coughing into a COVID jet." Crowd

Facemasks are the new tinfoil hat.
                My favorite meme that describes the masks perfectly. A fart makes it through two ass checks, underwear, and blue jeans, what exactly do you think a fabric mask is going to do?

Comment

Just research what type of mask actually stops the virus, and you’ll realize this is all bullshit. Yeah, sure, just wear your underwear on your face and we’ll call it a face covering and you’re good. [emoji849]

What a joke this plandemic has been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have to wear one at work if I am going to be within 6' of another. I wear a neck gaiter. Otherwise, nope.

Masks, by and large, are a farce:
                    Following a recommendation that cloth masks be explored for use in healthcare settings during the next influenza pandemic,3 The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) conducted a study of the filter performance on clothing materials and articles, including commercial cloth masks marketed for air pollution and allergens, sweatshirts, t-shirts, and scarfs.4

Filter efficiency was measured across a wide range of small particle sizes (0.02 to 1 µm) at 33 and 99 L/min. N95 respirators had efficiencies greater than 95% (as expected). For the entire range of particles tested, t-shirts had 10% efficiency, scarves 10% to 20%, cloth masks 10% to 30%, sweatshirts 20% to 40%, and towels 40%. All of the cloth masks and materials had near zero efficiency at 0.3 µm, a particle size that easily penetrates into the lungs.4

Another study evaluated 44 masks, respirators, and other materials with similar methods and small aerosols (0.08 and 0.22 µm).5 N95 FFR filter efficiency was greater than 95%. Medical masks exhibited 55% efficiency, general masks 38% and handkerchiefs 2% (one layer) to 13% (four layers).

These studies demonstrate that cloth or homemade masks will have very low filter efficiency (2% to 38%). Medical masks are made from a wide range of materials, and studies have found a wide range of filter efficiency (2% to 98%), with most exhibiting 30% to 50% efficiency.

Results The rates of all infection outcomes were highest in the cloth mask arm, with the rate of ILI statistically significantly higher in the cloth mask arm (relative risk (RR)=13.00, 95% CI 1.69 to 100.07) compared with the medical mask arm. Cloth masks also had significantly higher rates of ILI compared with the control arm. An analysis by mask use showed ILI (RR=6.64, 95% CI 1.45 to 28.65) and laboratory-confirmed virus (RR=1.72, 95% CI 1.01 to 2.94) were significantly higher in the cloth masks group compared with the medical masks group. Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%.

Conclusions This study is the first RCT of cloth masks, and the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection. Further research is needed to inform the widespread use of cloth masks globally. However, as a precautionary measure, cloth masks should not be recommended for HCWs, particularly in high-risk situations, and guidelines need to be updated.
                    Editor's Note The authors of this article, published in 2015, have written a response to their work in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. We urge our readers to consider the response when reading the article. Objective The aim of this study was to compare the efficacy of cloth masks to medical masks in hospital healthcare workers (HCWs). The null hypothesis is that there is no difference between medical masks and cloth masks. Setting 14 secondary-level/tertiary-level hospitals in Hanoi, Vietnam. Participants 1607 hospital HCWs aged ≥18 years working full-time in selected high-risk wards. Intervention Hospital wards were randomised to: medical masks, cloth masks or a control group (usual practice, which included mask wearing). Participants used the mask on every shift for 4 consecutive weeks. Main outcome measure Clinical respiratory illness (CRI), influenza-like illness (ILI) and laboratory-confirmed respiratory virus infection. Results The rates of all infection outcomes were highest in the cloth mask arm, with the rate of ILI statistically significantly higher in the cloth mask arm (relative risk (RR)=13.00, 95% CI 1.69 to 100.07) compared with the medical mask arm. Cloth masks also had significantly higher rates of ILI compared with the control arm. An analysis by mask use showed ILI (RR=6.64, 95% CI 1.45 to 28.65) and laboratory-confirmed virus (RR=1.72, 95% CI 1.01 to 2.94) were significantly higher in the cloth masks group compared with the medical masks group. Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%. Conclusions This study is the first RCT of cloth masks, and the results caution against the use of cloth masks. This is an important finding to inform occupational health and safety. Moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection. Further research is needed to inform the widespread use of cloth masks globally. However, as a precautionary measure, cloth masks should not be recommended for HCWs, particularly in high-risk situations, and guidelines need to be updated. Trial registration number Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry: ACTRN12610000887077.

Neither surgical nor cotton masks effectively filtered SARS–CoV-2 during coughs by infected patients. Prior evidence that surgical masks effectively filtered influenza virus (1) informed recommendations that patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 should wear face masks to prevent transmission (2). However, the size and concentrations of SARS–CoV-2 in aerosols generated during coughing are unknown. Oberg and Brousseau (3) demonstrated that surgical masks did not exhibit adequate filter performance against aerosols measuring 0.9, 2.0, and 3.1 μm in diameter. Lee and colleagues (4) showed that particles 0.04 to 0.2 μm can penetrate surgical masks. The size of the SARS–CoV particle from the 2002–2004 outbreak was estimated as 0.08 to 0.14 μm (5); assuming that SARS-CoV-2 has a similar size, surgical masks are unlikely to effectively filter this virus

[… ]

In conclusion, both surgical and cotton masks seem to be ineffective in preventing the dissemination of SARS–CoV-2 from the coughs of patients with COVID-19 to the environment and external mask surface.
                    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Man I guess maybe it is cause I see this shit on the daily.
                      Last week I had to walk an 82 year old man that has never had more than a flip phone navigate through his new iPhone he bought just to watch his wife of 50+ years die via FaceTime. Day before that I watched a gangster ass dude with full body prison tattoos literally crawling the wall of his ICU room suffocating with an SP02 of 79% before being forcefully sedated and intubated. Or the daily briefings I am on which include the updates from the retirement home up the street where although they only have around 100 residents, 38 of the them currently have it and they have lost 15. Couple weeks before that an otherwise health 35 year old gets dropped off by his mom at the ER door since there are no visitors allowed, walked in on his own, joking with the admitting rep. 45 minutes later having to walk around the parking lot to find his mom to tell her that her son died. Walking in from the parking lot seeing the chalk drawings and messages for the love ones on the Covid unit, seeing the families camping outside the window of their family, or siblings meeting their bother/sister for the first time through the window.
                      This shit has hit me differently.......

Comment

Scientifically speaking...these N95 masks don't do jack shit to prevent the spread of this or any other virus. This is a proven FACT that has been repeated numerous times by the CDC and many doctors across the country and planet. The homemade masks and surgical masks are about as effective. The simple fact is virus particles are MUCH smaller than the filtering ability of these masks and will walk right on thru them. I feel for the people working in hospitals or nursing homes as they have little to no protection for themselves or the patients they treat. I have a very good friend who was an ER nurse at Childrens Medical Center Dallas who suffered a massive stroke last spring. His treatment began at UTSW Medical Center but over time as he stabilized he was moved from one place to another. He ended up at a Rehab facility/Nursing home off Hampton and Singleton last fall. He tested positive about a week ago for Covid...yesterday he was moved to the Parkland ICU and is not doing well. I expect he won't recover. He is alone. No family, no friends. It is truly heartbreaking. He was in a "SECURE" facility that was on lock-down...they had protocols to stop it...and yet he and many others are sick. These masks don't do a goddamn thing. They are a feel good measure.

Comment

Nobody is pretending like its not a real virus. Do you literally think people should behave the same in a store as they do in an ICU?

Should I seriously have to wear a mask for 8-10 hours at my desk when I'm not coughing or near anyone? And I'm not at a medical facility?

That's like me asking why yall aren't wearing steel toes because I've seen people break toes and feet at my job when a heavy tool falls or raw stock slips off a shelf.

Comment

Of course masks work in the prevention of spreading the disease, it is just common fucking sense. Will it protect you from getting it? A hell of a lot more than not wearing it. Will it prevent the spread of it? Abso-fucking-lutely!!! If I am talking to some nasty mother fucker that is coughing and sneezing without fully blocking it, or into his hand and then he touches everything around him he just spread that shit. If he is wearing a mask he just coughed and sneezed that shit onto himself. Did some particles get through the cloth or surgical mask? Possibly, but the shit didnt fly 6+ feet across the room!
                            Listening to the CDC for anything is like getting health advice from the Post Office. Mayo Clinic, hell any of the well respected institutions, research has shown it helps.

Comment

now they're saying asymptomatic xfer is unlikely.. what a fucking cluster this whole response has been.

Comment

Face mask are like condoms . You don't get to enjoy it as much!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X