Sous vide steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
    Mine does the same, but I want the tight vacuum to force the marinade into the meat meanwhile cutting down the time required for the liquid to penetrate.
    Yeah I use the rolls of stuff so I can just toss the bags when I'm done with them plus they can go straight into the water bath.
    sigpic

Comment

I don't think it will be substantially different with a slightly tighter vacuum seal. You would probably be better off with a light vacuum, and then driving it in by hand. Anything more and you might as well inject. If you choose to inject let me know how it goes.

Also remember that there will be slightly higher than ambient pressure in the pot helping drive marinade deeper during cooking.

Comment

I can't imagine freezing works either since the water will occupy less volume when thawed, thus decreasing the effective pressure. But that's speaking from a technical standpoint and not any food based experience so take it with a grain.

Comment

I finally got around to trying this with a couple NY strips... Holy shit I can't believe how awesome this is. 2 hours in the water, 1 min per side in a 700* iron skillet.

My DIY sous vide:
          Beer cooler - Sitting in the garage.
          300 watt aquarium heater - $27 amazon
          submersible pump - $12 amazon
          Arduino microcontroller with wifi - Had this sitting around.
          Project box and other odds & ends - $15

Holds temp to 1*, and I can monitor/adjust temps via the web (still need to add some code for this part)

Comment

Great deal on a Anova, if you are too lazy to do that ^

Previous gen, non bluetooth for $99
            [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Anova-Sous-Vide-Immersion-Circulator/dp/B00UET2UI2/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1433296146&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Anova-Sous-Vide-Immersion-Circulator/dp/B00UET2UI2/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1433296146&sr=1-1[/ame]

With code ANOVAONE

Or buy one current model for like 130 or something

http://anovaculinary.com/anova-preci...FdcegQodxlYAVw

with code LUVDAD
            Can't beat them, Join their NEW message board !!

Comment

Originally posted by Bputacoma View Post
              Great deal on a Anova, if you are too lazy to do that ^

Previous gen, non bluetooth for $99
              http://www.amazon.com/Anova-Sous-Vid...3296146&sr=1-1

With code ANOVAONE

Or buy one current model for like 130 or something

http://anovaculinary.com/anova-preci...FdcegQodxlYAVw

with code LUVDAD
              I was about to post that the new ones were $130. I just took the plunge, and I love it.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

For you guys using the Anova setup... Are you using any type of rack to keep the food submerged?

I've been using a cambro plastic container( [ame]http://smile.amazon.com/Cambro-18SFSPP190-Polypropylene-CamSquares-Translucent/dp/B001BZGS40/ref=sr_1_18?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1435189344&sr=1-18&keywords=cambro&refinements=p_89%3ACambro[/ame] ) for the water and what I've been doing is placing a bowl on top to keep the food still. I'd prefer something more purpose built.

Looking through some videos, I keep seeing racks to hold the pouches in place. Something along the lines of this:
                [ame]http://smile.amazon.com/L10-Stainless-Companion-Circulator-Polyscience/dp/B00PKGBMBA/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1435183070&sr=1-2&keywords=sous+vide+rack[/ame]

Comment

I hadn't had much issue with properly vacuum sealed foods float to the surface.
                  sigpic

Comment

I just clip them to the side of the container

Btw...does everyone use the zip lock bags made for this? I prefer it over the food saver.

Comment

I've been using a foodsaver. And I hadn't put 2 and 2 together that it was mostly the moist food that was floating
                      Last edited by 71chevellejohn; 06-25-2015, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Foodsaver and clips here too. I haven't done any long cooks with it yet though. Probably will get some purpose built bags for that so I'm not leaching cancer into my food.

Comment

I'm using freezer bags with my Anova, and using the displacement method to get all the air out. It works well. I can't decide if I want a searzall next, or a high but propane burner to heat my cast iron on.
                          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                            I'm using freezer bags with my Anova, and using the displacement method to get all the air out. It works well. I can't decide if I want a searzall next, or a high but propane burner to heat my cast iron on.
                            Will that work much better than gas or are you using electric?

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                              You swing by and use my shitty electric stove. I put a cast iron ( 4 generations old ) on high heat and walked away to use the rest room. That mother fucker was GLOWING RED. It started to drop following the lines of the coil.

I've never seen a stove top do that to any kind of pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                                You swing by and use my shitty electric stove. I put a cast iron ( 4 generations old ) on high heat and walked away to use the rest room. That mother fucker was GLOWING RED. It started to drop following the lines of the coil.

I've never seen a stove top do that to any kind of pan.
                                Sounds like your stove might have a bad regulator, lol!

Comment

Working...
                                X