Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What vid card would be a decent upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What vid card would be a decent upgrade?

Its getting to where I cant play some of these newer games (Blackops) with everything maxxed out. So Im trying to figure out where the problem is... Here is what I have:

Dell XPS 420
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz
    Intel chipset on mobo.
    3GB DDR2 RAM
    WD 300GB SATA HDD
    Nvidia 8600GT (256mb)

Where would I get the most bang for the buck? My guess is video card, but the power supply in the XPS420 isn't big enough to run a big bad ass vid card (especially the ones that require a 12v lead from the PS itself.)

Feel like I'm dammed if I do, dammed if I dont...
    Last edited by danielhv; 11-16-2010, 03:20 PM.

What is the power supply in that system?
    400w?

Edit: here we go, for some other system specs:

edit edit:
    Which one do you have?
    375 W
    or
    425 W

edit edit edit:
    ASUS Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express

Seems like it wouldn't be a bad choice for you. Asus says 450watt for it, but if you have the 425w, you'll be fine.
    Last edited by CexMashean; 11-16-2010, 12:10 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

From what I've read, you can use most ATX powersupplies for your PC.

Check this out: http://en.community.dell.com/support.../19267468.aspx

Comment

Good deal, thanks for the replies... should I consider just building a new system or is this processor decent enough? If I just do the vid card, will the processor hold it back to the point to where I wouldn't really notice much of an increase in performance?

Comment

You likely won't play maxed out on that system even w/ a newer GPU since you're not able to OC, even then I'm not sure you could w/out a GNARLY OC.

Comment

Ok, next question... GTX 470 or ATI HD 6870?

They are both the same price ($260), however the 470 has a 10% off promo that ends tonight. The savings would be put towards a bigger power supply to handle the power hungry 470.

Comment

470 hands down but those things get hot.

You gotta remember though the performance is somewhat negligible between the two and if you have to purchase a higher watt power supply to feed the 470 then the 6870 might be the best bet.

Comment

Working...
              X