Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convert standard side mirror to auto dimming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert standard side mirror to auto dimming?

We just bought a new Ford Transit (don't knock it til you try it) and it doesn't have auto dimming side mirrors. I've Google'd a bit and can't seem to find anything so I figured I'd ask you bunch of geniuses.

Is there a way to upgrade the side mirrors to auto dim? Whether it's a replacement glass or a film applied to the mirror? Ford doesn't offer auto dim for the Transit so I can't go buy an OEM option, AFAIK. It does have turn signals in the mirror and the mirrors are electric so there's power there if an aftermarket dimming element were available and needs power.

I'm surprised they don't offer it on the transit, all I see in my search is mirror tint or aftermarket dimming interior mirrors. Doesn't look like aftermarket dimming side mirrors is a thing.

Comment

Yeah it looks like you'll have to do a conversion using parts from another vehicle.
      WH

Comment

These guys may have something like that. Gentex.com

Comment

Originally posted by Fatass View Post
          I'm surprised they don't offer it on the transit, all I see in my search is mirror tint or aftermarket dimming interior mirrors. Doesn't look like aftermarket dimming side mirrors is a thing.
          Agreed. The Transit is missing a lot of the creature comforts offered on the higher volume vehicles like the F150.

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
          Yeah it looks like you'll have to do a conversion using parts from another vehicle.
          My gut tells me the only moderately simple solution is that Ford offers auto dimming side mirrors on an upcoming year model and we can retrofit. But that's at least a year away since we bought a 2018 Transit...

Originally posted by JV106 View Post
          These guys may have something like that. Gentex.com
          Good call - looks like they only do interior (rear view) mirrors though. Gentex doesn't sell to the public but directs you to https://www.mitocorp.com/

Comment

If they don't, then given the size of your mirrors, I don't think it would be too awful hard to do a conversion.
            WH

Comment

Is it a Transit or Transit Connect?
              QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
                Is it a Transit or Transit Connect?
                Full size Transit. Not the smaller Connect.

Comment

Are the dimming mirrors offered on the EU models? I buy parts from UK Ford dealers on a pretty regular basis for my XR and could easily order your mirrors for you if they are a factory part.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                    Are the dimming mirrors offered on the EU models? I buy parts from UK Ford dealers on a pretty regular basis for my XR and could easily order your mirrors for you if they are a factory part.
                    I'll check as I don't know right off hand.

There are a few parts I'd like to get from the Euro van though. Left side A pillar grab handle + accompanying interior trim piece (passenger for them, driver for us) and possibly even a front bumper cover with fog lights (not available in the US).

Comment

Self dimming side mirrors are worth this much trouble?

Comment

Working...
                      X