DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Television, Movies, and Music Forum

Television, Movies, and Music Forum Want to talk about a show or movie you watched last night or a song or band you heard on the radio? Post it here!

Old 12-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #21
BLAKE
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANTIRN View Post
It was good, but not Empire good. Like The Force Awakens, it mirrored Empire quite a bit, though maybe not quite as obvious as Awakens was at times. I still think Empire is the best Star Wars film, followed close by Rogue One. This one still blows away the prequels, but left several questions unanswered. Looking forward to the third to wrap up the story, but more excited about the stand alone films they want to make to see more of that universe. Still hoping for an Old Republic trilogy.
Wow, very well said. I agree with every word of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Laughing at the prospect of someone with bad ass fighting skills from 2 days of Jedi training....
What did Rey do besides lift some rocks, take out a few guards and tie Kylo in a game of tug-of-war? Seemed like she was pretty well screwed until somebody changed the game for her.
BLAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #22
red89notch
Lifer

Rey fought the top Gestapo guards, not just regular lame ass guards. She was also a pretty well trained fighter with her stick before she learned fighting with a sabers isn't much different. It definitely mirrors the Empire a lot but it was very entertaining. Even my wife thoroughly enjoyed it and she is no Star Wars fan. The only thing I didn't care for was the massive amount of comic relief. The wife did point out of how stereotypical it was that the Asian chick wanted the BBC.

truth.
red89notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #23
AnthonyS
Lifer

Meh..... as expected no real surprises, unlike the Lucas originals. Only real semi surprise was Laura Dern saving everyone.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #24
Gargamel
Eating Smurfette Since 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
Meh..... as expected no real surprises, unlike the Lucas originals. Only real semi surprise was Laura Dern saving everyone.
All that technology....

No autopilot on capital ships

lol
Old 12-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #25
Rick Modena
Cockasaurusmex

Saw it last night, pretty good. I didn't read any of the threads on the interwebz so had no idea what to expect. I'll agree with some of you, it reminded me of Empire. The special effects were spot on. I did want to see Luke get it on with Ren to get revenge for his friend, but oh well.

I'll probably go see it in 3-D under the influence...
Rick Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:37 PM   #26
yellowstang
Lifer

I've never been a Star Wars fan, only saw the first one released in theaters in the late 70's. How many have been made now?
yellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:05 PM   #27
Craizie
Cracka

I thought this movie was very mediocre. It was like playing an RPG and going after the story line quest for 25% of the game and going after side quest for 75% of the game. You've accomplished a lot of the game, but know little of the story.

Also, Snoke was a huge let down.
Craizie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:27 PM   #28
Broncojohnny
Lifer

I finally saw this one the other day. It was definitely better than the last turd from the Skywalker story line but not much. And the blatantly PC social justice bullshit was getting on my last nerve. It would be different if these moments somehow fit into the story or were worked into the script in a meaningful way. Instead they are just gratuitous shit moments. It is like they had a checklist of stupid moments that they had to fit in and they gave the fuck up on making them fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy View Post
Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.
Broncojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:40 PM   #29
SS Junk
Lifer

I didn't mind it too much. Would have liked to have seen a light saber battle with Luke. Admiral Purple Power was totally unnecessary.
SS Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:46 PM   #30
AnthonyS
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohnny View Post
I finally saw this one the other day. It was definitely better than the last turd from the Skywalker story line but not much. And the blatantly PC social justice bullshit was getting on my last nerve. It would be different if these moments somehow fit into the story or were worked into the script in a meaningful way. Instead they are just gratuitous shit moments. It is like they had a checklist of stupid moments that they had to fit in and they gave the fuck up on making them fit.
That's actually a pretty good summary of the difference between the disney approach and Lucas. Disney does some shit scene for the sake of selling us more shit. Lucas was tellin a story. You may not like the way he did it but there was a story. And the Lucas bad guys are bad asses. Of course Rey can beat Kylo and Snoke. Hell Luke did it meditating and Luke is the biggest pussy in the Lucas films. A robot continually saves his sorry ass.
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:51 PM   #31
kingjason
Notorious PIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohnny View Post

Yes my very liberal niece said this was the best one ever and started talking about all the women lead characters in battle. I asked my buddy who is a huge Star Wars guy and he is even considering not seeing it due to the online reviews and such.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:49 PM   #32
GhostTX
Token Troll

It was better than Force Awakens, and better than the prequels. It had more humor in it, than any of the "new" ones. It actually made me sad knowing Carrie is gone, as I could see how the next movie was set up for her. Wonder how it'll happen, now.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #33
Broncojohnny
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason View Post
Yes my very liberal niece said this was the best one ever and started talking about all the women lead characters in battle. I asked my buddy who is a huge Star Wars guy and he is even considering not seeing it due to the online reviews and such.
What I don't get is that Disney doesn't feel the need to inject this horseshit into the Marvel movies which are their most successful series going. But all of a sudden Star Wars is some social justice platform. Like I said, it would be different if it all fit into the story but it is crammed in there. It is fucking pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy View Post
Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.
Broncojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
women only good 4 sex