Wilson Combat .458 HAM'R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YALE View Post
    That's exactly what they did. You're not paying them for the parts. You're paying them for the engineering.
    I wonder if they'd consider selling the barrel as a stand alone like Tromix.
    G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
      I wonder if they'd consider selling the barrel as a stand alone like Tromix.
      I suspect that the whole is more than the sum of the parts and just selling you a barrel would be a bad idea.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
        I suspect that the whole is more than the sum of the parts and just selling you a barrel would be a bad idea.
        Why?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
        G'Day Mate

Comment

Why?

Like the high pressure causes the upper receiver to blow up in your face.
          Originally posted by PGreenCobra
          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
          Originally posted by Trip McNeely
          Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
          dont downshift!!
          Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Why?

Because there is more to it than just the barrel swap perhaps?

I know that I built a DPMS pattern AR10 before using the best parts that could be bought and it simply would not function because every part came from a different manufacturer. To get it to work I had to change out a few parts for supposedly identical parts from another manufacture.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
              Because there is more to it than just the barrel swap perhaps?

I know that I built a DPMS pattern AR10 before using the best parts that could be bought and it simply would not function because every part came from a different manufacturer. To get it to work I had to change out a few parts for supposedly identical parts from another manufacture.
              That's on the builder, not the parts.
              G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                Like the high pressure causes the upper receiver to blow up in your face.
                IIRC the 45-70 is less than 30k PSI. The .308 is at slightly over 60K.

Any quality AR10 upper should handle the round without issue.
                G'Day Mate

Comment

The 45-70 is a rimmed cartridge, for one. I guarantee there was a fair amount of engineering to get it to work.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

If you want an easier caliber to run in an AR10 that still thumps well, 338 Federal and 358 Winchester both rock. Just know that with specialty calibers, you're not going to get palmetto state prices. You're going to get boutique prices.

Comment

IIRC the 45-70 is less than 30k PSI. The .308 is at slightly over 60K.

Any quality AR10 upper should handle the round without issue.
                      There is separate high pressure load data for Ruger #1s and bolt guns that gets close to modern cartridge pressures.

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                      The 45-70 is a rimmed cartridge, for one. I guarantee there was a fair amount of engineering to get it to work.
                      I think they cut off the rim in a lathe.

That's on the builder, not the parts.
                      Wrong-o buckaroo. The tolerance stack up on various manufactures parts made it where they simply were not compatible with each other despite the supposed parts interchangeability.
                      Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 01-09-2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

They do cut the rim off, and tbat ain't free either.

Comment

I like my .458 Socom, I have 11 rounds of stopping power versus 6 or maybe 7 in a lever 45-70 and when you have things like grizzly bears charging you, every round counts.

Comment

Originally posted by fastwhite99gt View Post
                            I like my .458 Socom, I have 11 rounds of stopping power versus 6 or maybe 7 in a lever 45-70 and when you have things like grizzly bears charging you, every round counts.
                            In general semi autos are not considered reliable enough to use when the potential for coming across dangerous big game is high. Most of the countries that have true dangerous big game hunting only allow break actions, slide actions, bolt actions, and lever actions in .375 H&H or larger. Semi autos are legal for smaller game but the guide will always carry something big in one of the aforementioned actions.

Comment

I like the idea, not the cost. Shooting the "good stuff" could easily be a $500+ day at the range.

Comment

Working...
                              X