Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jluv View Post
    It was that way for me the first time I went. I got really lucky finding a primo spot on a creek, with good fishing, and didn't see another soul the whole time. I got there really early on a weekday and spent several hours driving and hiking around until I found it. It was in February and it was cold and misty, but not windy or stormy, so it was perfect camping weather, in my book. I camped in that same spot a few more times, with mixed results on other people being around, but then I ended up talking with the park ranger, and he showed me a couple of other spots. One of them is great, but I did have some assholes come a day after me and set up right next to me.
    Wow that's pretty messed up setting camp right next to you like that. Did he even ask you or he just pulled up and started setting up camp? I found a couple of different spots out there that you might be interested in Jared. Don't know if you'll ever camp out there anytime soon but let me know if you want the location.

Spot 41 is the best spot at CHSP, but it's tough to get (if it's even open now). I also like spot 212, which doesn't look great on the map, but it's big and completely surrounded/elevated so that you don't see other people, and for whatever reason, we always have lots of critters come through there - coyotes, rabbits, raccoons, all kinds of birds, snakes, etc. I do hate that it gets so crowded, but it's pretty neat to find such a beautiful park in the middle of the metroplex. I hate that the floods messed it up so bad.
    I've never been able to grab spot 41 as many times as I've camped at CHSP. The only time I've seen it empty (and it's pretty rare) are the times I've gone during the week and the weather has been bad. My favorite spot out there so far is site 53. When the water level is low, it has a sizeable beach that is pretty private. Also the site is below road level so it's not easily viewable from the road and sound doesn't travel very far from there so you can be a little loud and won't disturb anyone and vice versa. Unfortunately that part of the park is still closed and no ETA on when it will reopen.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
      Wow that's pretty messed up setting camp right next to you like that. Did he even ask you or he just pulled up and started setting up camp? I found a couple of different spots out there that you might be interested in Jared. Don't know if you'll ever camp out there anytime soon but let me know if you want the location
      So I got out there early one day, set up camp, just me and my dog. We hung out, fished, and then I got drunk and made some dinner over the campfire. Passed out about 11. Next thing I know there are headlights shining through my tent followed by all kinds of noise and shit. It was two couples setting up their own camp about 25 feet from mine, in this big ass area, at 3 in the fucking morning. They stayed up a while banging around and drinking. I was tired as shit so I just went back to sleep. I returned the favor at 7 AM when I started banging pots and pans around making breakfast. I would let my dog run around and then holler for him as loud as I could over and over. They were hung over and slept until Noon, but I made sure it wasn't pleasant for them. Later that day, an old man parked an old RV a couple hundred yards from there. He walked down and hung out with me for a bit. He admitted being disappointed that I got his favorite spot, but he had enough common courtesy to set up a good distance away. We sat around the fire and talked shit loudly about what kind of assholes would do such a thing. They fished for a couple of hours and left that afternoon. I regretted not getting out of bed that first night to tell them to go elsewhere. I will never let that shit happen again.

That's not nearly as bad as the time there was a fucking rave being thrown out there (different spot) all night and in to the morning when I had already set up camp nearby. I've had some great times out there, and a few fucked up times.

Comment

I've been wanting to try LBJ Grasslands but just haven't yet. Jared or Jose, if you have some coordinates to the good sites, shoot them to me!

Comment

So I got out there early one day, set up camp, just me and my dog. We hung out, fished, and then I got drunk and made some dinner over the campfire. Passed out about 11. Next thing I know there are headlights shining through my tent followed by all kinds of noise and shit. It was two couples setting up their own camp about 25 feet from mine, in this big ass area, at 3 in the fucking morning. They stayed up a while banging around and drinking. I was tired as shit so I just went back to sleep. I returned the favor at 7 AM when I started banging pots and pans around making breakfast. I would let my dog run around and then holler for him as loud as I could over and over. They were hung over and slept until Noon, but I made sure it wasn't pleasant for them. Later that day, an old man parked an old RV a couple hundred yards from there. He walked down and hung out with me for a bit. He admitted being disappointed that I got his favorite spot, but he had enough common courtesy to set up a good distance away. We sat around the fire and talked shit loudly about what kind of assholes would do such a thing. They fished for a couple of hours and left that afternoon. I regretted not getting out of bed that first night to tell them to go elsewhere. I will never let that shit happen again.

That's not nearly as bad as the time there was a fucking rave being thrown out there (different spot) all night and in to the morning when I had already set up camp nearby. I've had some great times out there, and a few fucked up times.
          Well played sir! Well played LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
            I've been wanting to try LBJ Grasslands but just haven't yet. Jared or Jose, if you have some coordinates to the good sites, shoot them to me!
            I'll send you a message probably through FB later today or tonight. I'm about to head into the office and DFWM is blocked there (go figure).

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
              I'll send you a message probably through FB later today or tonight. I'm about to head into the office and DFWM is blocked there (go figure).
              Cool, no rush man. I'm going out to Tennessee next week to do some primitive camping on private land, but want to try and do some semi-local camping before it heats up too much..

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                Just stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to.
                So you're strongly advising against the pursuit of waterfalls?
                Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag

Comment

Originally posted by NTexas_V-Star View Post
                  So you're strongly advising against the pursuit of waterfalls?
                  Chase waterfalls, get aids.
                  .....bro....

Comment

Working...
                  X