Lowdown on Off-road parks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks good!
    What are some good local (Keller area) for working on a 4x4? My next mod's will be tires, shocks and a winch.
    Tires I'll get at Discount, probably K02's or maybe NITTO's, but leaning towards the K02.

Can't decide if I should get tires first, since these are not a great tread for off roading, but could be adequate for learning with a while. So leaning towards winch.

I think this thread has more activity than the rest of this board now!

Comment

• Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
      Looks good!
      What are some good local (Keller area) for working on a 4x4? My next mod's will be tires, shocks and a winch.
      Tires I'll get at Discount, probably K02's or maybe NITTO's, but leaning towards the K02.

Can't decide if I should get tires first, since these are not a great tread for off roading, but could be adequate for learning with a while. So leaning towards winch.

I have taken my f250 and 4runner to Ryan at Starr Offroad in Keller. Small shop with quality work.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

SO I was just looking at some winches, never knew they made them with rope, I've only ever seen steel cable. Any advantage/disadvantage to either?

Jose, they make a mounting bracket for F-150 so it is pretty hidden, the winch barely sticks out, changed my mind about maybe getting one now.

Saw this a few threads down! Googled a few parts on it, can be had for $300 or so.

http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...5&postcount=14
        I'm going to need something that will work with the EcoBoost motor so it doesn't block the intercooler. Probably something that is removable.

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
        Looks good!

Probably need to figure out if you can make some money flipping the tires you have on there now or not, at least that's what I did. Also if you plan on buying from Discount, looks to see if they have any rebates on the tires you are looking at. That helped expedite my purchase. Anyway something to think about.

Comment

• I think the ko2s get super loud.. ive got 40k on my nitto grappler g2s and they have been a great tire and make minimal noise. Trade some offroad capability for road worthiness and i think the 97% time you spend on the road will be a lot more pleasant.

Comment

• Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
            I think the ko2s get super loud.. ive got 40k on my nitto grappler g2s and they have been a great tire and make minimal noise. Trade some offroad capability for road worthiness and i think the 97% time you spend on the road will be a lot more pleasant.
            Concur.

I took both of my FJ cruiser‘s to Mike’s off Road in Haltom city. I’ve been told they may be a little higher than others but they have been around for over 30 years and are extremely knowledgeable. Very happy with the work I got on this one.

David

Comment

• I had purchased a WARN 10 K winch but after installing the front bumpers they found it wouldn’t fit. Opted for the Smittybuilt 10k winch. Not as good quality but has the same warranty and probably get very little use out of me anyway.

David

Comment

• Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                4runner for a daily and JK for trail rig?
                Seconded!

Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
                Got the new whip back today with a few extra goodies at it.

Now I just need to break away some Saturdays to have fun.
                SWEET!!!

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                I think the ko2s get super loud.. ive got 40k on my nitto grappler g2s and they have been a great tire and make minimal noise. Trade some offroad capability for road worthiness and i think the 97% time you spend on the road will be a lot more pleasant.
                From what I can gather on the FB pages, the Jeep and 4Runner guys love the KO2s, but a lot of the fullsize guys say they don’t last worth a shit on the heavier trucks.

Which Grapplers do you have? Terra, Trail, Ridge? We have Terra Grapplers (AT) on the Expedition. They are okay. Not very aggressive, which is fine for that vehicle. I ran a set of Trail Grapplers (MT) on my truck for a while, but they wore quicker than I would like. The Ridge Grapplers are in between an AT and a MT, and would probably be awesome on your truck, Rob. Personally, I’m a huge fan of the Toyo Open Country line. The MT 40s have been pretty solid for my truck, and the set of ATs we had on the wife’s 4Runner were fantastic.

Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
                Concur.

I took both of my FJ cruiser‘s to Mike’s off Road in Haltom city. I’ve been told they may be a little higher than others but they have been around for over 30 years and are extremely knowledgeable. Very happy with the work I got on this one.

That’s where I got my 42s balanced. Most shops can’t balance them that big, so it was good to find a place that could. That said, I called them back last week to ask about welding some mounting tabs on my truck for limit straps, and the guy had no clue what i was talking about. “Uh, we sell some straps for Jeeps, but I dunno about for trucks.” Dude, straps are straps, and I just need the mounting tabs. Then I asked about getting a set of rock sliders made, and he kept trying to sell me N-fab steps. Ugh.

I’ve had work done at Baertrax in Dallas. Top notch shop. Great guys. They are very proud of their work, though, and not close to Keller. No need to go there for basic stuff.

Comment

• I just switched from maxxis treps to nitto trail grappler m/t due to road manners. No complaints so far.

Comment

• Jared I know who you were talking to and he is quite a Noob for having someone on the desk. Woody is the guy to ask for if you call up there. Very hard worker.

x2 on the Toyo

David

Comment

• Originally posted by cobrajet69 View Post
                      Got the new whip back today with a few extra goodies at it.

Now I just need to break away some Saturdays to have fun.

David
                      Nice ride man. I just got back from the San Antonio area and driving down 281, I was rolling alongside an FJ for a couple of hours. I've always liked the look of them (except for the blind spot it has) but I really got a chance to see one rolling down the highway for an extended period of time.

Comment

• Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                        Nitto Terra Grappler G2's are what I have. I've been pretty happy with them for what I drive with the occasional off roading. Couple of trips to New Mexico and a couple to Colorado and no complaints. Some high speed highway runs at 90 or so, mud, sand. So far, so good.

Comment

• I have a couple more videos I need to upload but I won't get around to it till later. Anyway just wanted to share a few videos from last weekend at Northwest OHV.

Rock Hit. Around the :40 second mark, you will see the FJ in front of me hit the rock that I eventually dragged alongside my truck.

Geoff stuck for a sec.

Rock Garden

Comment

• Originally posted by jluv View Post
                            Seconded!

From what I can gather on the FB pages, the Jeep and 4Runner guys love the KO2s, but a lot of the fullsize guys say they don’t last worth a shit on the heavier trucks.

Which Grapplers do you have? Terra, Trail, Ridge? We have Terra Grapplers (AT) on the Expedition. They are okay. Not very aggressive, which is fine for that vehicle. I ran a set of Trail Grapplers (MT) on my truck for a while, but they wore quicker than I would like. The Ridge Grapplers are in between an AT and a MT, and would probably be awesome on your truck, Rob.
                            Sorry, terra grapplers. Now that you mention it, i seem to recall reading the same about the ko2s.

I loved the toyo open countrys i had on the silver dodge, but good god they were pricey to replace with as much driving as i was doing. Lasted great and wore well though, never had a problem with them.

Comment

• Loved the vid's, Jose!

Man, I can't tell which Nitto Discount has I like better, Terra Grappler G2 or Ridge Grappler. Price is pretty close, $235 or $263
                              The Terra Grappler comes with a 50K mile warranty tho, the Ridge has N/A
                              Sticking with the stock size, I'll never get crazy into off roading. LT275 /65 R18

The Toyo OPEN COUNTRY M/T has no rating/reviews, but looks aggressive. Also $318 each.
                              The Toyo OPEN COUNTRY A/T II looks good too at $273 each, but again, no rating/reviews 50K warranty

Comment

Loved the vid's, Jose!

Man, I can't tell which Nitto Discount has I like better, Terra Grappler G2 or Ridge Grappler. Price is pretty close, $235 or $263
                                The Terra Grappler comes with a 50K mile warranty tho, the Ridge has N/A
                                Sticking with the stock size, I'll never get crazy into off roading. LT275 /65 R18

The Toyo OPEN COUNTRY M/T has no rating/reviews, but looks aggressive. Also $318 each.
                                The Toyo OPEN COUNTRY A/T II looks good too at $273 each, but again, no rating/reviews 50K warranty
                                An MT is overkill if you don’t off-road much.

Toyo makes an RT that’s in between the two, just like the Nitto Ridge Grappler. I haven’t run either, but I wouldnt hesitate to do so, based on my experience with the ATs and the MTs from both. Same parent company, by the way.

Between the two ATs, I like the Toyo better. The Nitto Terra Grappler is slightly softer and slightly less aggressive than the Toyo AT. That makes it quieter and smoother, but the Toyo is not noticeably rough or loud. I think the Toyo will last a little longer, and I believe it’s a little better off road and in snow. But the difference isn’t huge.

Moral of the story is that you can’t go wrong with Toyo or Nitto. You just have to decide which tier to go with. In my opinion, if you are 90% on road and 10% off road, the AT/Terra is good. If you’re 75/25, go with the RT/Ridge. Anything more off road than that, the MT/Trail is worth it.

Comment

Working...
                                X