Typical cost to run electricity to a shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typical cost to run electricity to a shed

Need a ball park idea of what it would cost to run electricity to a shed. Distance from the house is 30 feet, shed will have 12,110V outlets and a 220V for HVAC. Shed is a shell right now.

You mean DIY, or paying the electric service co to do it? If diy you got wire, breaker, outlets... what else what else...

Wild guess would be $150-$300 for diy
    WH

Comment

Permit cost??

Comment

Just run an extension cord from your neighbor's house?
        Borrow it from him then don't return it and you're in this for $0!

Comment

You want it done PROPERLY with buried cable, separate sub panel GFI protection...or you want it done like some people would and just run extension cords above ground? Where is your main breaker panel located that you will draw power from? Do you want the 12 plugs externally mounted with conduit or will they be in drywall? Its not really that hard of a job to do it if your existing panel has the capacity to add onto it.

Comment

I want a price to have this properly done, with wiring run inside the walls prior to Sheetrock.

Comment

Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
              I want a price to have this properly done, with wiring run inside the walls prior to Sheetrock.
              Without seeing it in person to determine what all will be needed it is hard to give an exact quote...a wild ballpark guess with some knowledge of what is needed would be around 5 hundred. Greatly depends on how far the shed is from the source of power (the main panel). The wire from the house SHOULD be enclosed in sealed PVC tubing but I know many people would do direct burial (I wouldn't). What part of town are you in?

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                Without seeing it in person to determine what all will be needed it is hard to give an exact quote...a wild ballpark guess with some knowledge of what is needed would be around 5 hundred. Greatly depends on how far the shed is from the source of power (the main panel). The wire from the house SHOULD be enclosed in sealed PVC tubing but I know many people would do direct burial (I wouldn't). What part of town are you in?
                What's a little ground shock with the ole 220 if the wire breaks? Makes me think of all of the people that die from their power on their docks at the lake. Electricity don't f around.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                  At this point, this is hypothetical, no shed yet, just trying to estimate that total cost of the shed. But would would want buried line enclosed in PVC. Fuse panel is in garage, so go up the wall, through the attic & out an eave. Might be 100 ft, plus 30 ft to shed site. Shed will have a slab, with a 3” hole just inside the wall closest to the house. Small fuse panel in shed probably a good idea. So far have costs of $1500 for slab, $6700 for shed shell (12X28), and $800 for minisplit ductless HVAC. I will do interior buildout- Sheetrock, flooring, etc.
                  Last edited by white trash wagon; 04-19-2020, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
                    At this point, this is hypothetical, no shed yet, just trying to estimate that total cost of the shed. But would would want buried line enclosed in PVC. Fuse panel is in garage, so go up the wall, through the attic & out an eave. Might be 100 ft, plus 30 ft to shed site. Shed will have a slab, with a 3” hole just inside the wall closest to the house. Small fuse panel in shed probably a good idea. So far have costs of $1500 for slab, $6700 for shed shell (12X28), and $800 for minisplit ductless HVAC. I will do interior buildout- Sheetrock, flooring, etc.
                    That's gonna be a lot of copper for a run that long...and it's gonna probably have to be 8 gauge to support the current needed for an HVAC.

Comment

Typical cost to run electricity to a shed

I did this around 18 months ago for my home office in the back yard (14x16 building), minus the slab. I also used a mini-split and I love it. My mini-split is not 220V but it might be the smaller size of my room.

Like ram57ta said, the copper is what kills you. I ran 35-40 feet from my house panel over to the exterior wall, then conduit from the exterior wall of the house to the office, up into a breaker panel in the office. I spent around $700 just getting from panel to panel. I ran two conduit - one for power and one for CAT6 - on opposite sides of the trench. A close friend is an electrician and one of his helpers came over to hook up the panels. I'll dabble with minor stuff but I'm not going into a live panel to make connections (no master shutoff on this old house so the panels are always hot).

It is roughly 70' from my house to my office. I have a backhoe and I dug the trench with that. Factor in trencher rental or a bunch of blisters if you intend to dig a trench with a shovel.

You can get direct bury rated wire. I chose to use conduit in case I ever need to make repairs, pull another cable, etc. With conduit, it's easy. Direct buried, you're screwed. Direct bury cable costs a little bit more as well.

You should speak to an electrician to get a solid idea of the gauge wire you'll need to run. That will impact cost considerably for estimating purposes.
                      Last edited by TX_92_Notch; 04-20-2020, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X