Sliders + powered steps. Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sliders + powered steps. Thoughts?

So after my last trip to Northwest OHV, I'm thinking about getting some rock sliders. While doing some research I came across these. If it works as advertised, it would give me exactly what I'm looking for, rock sliders along with something similar to the Amp Research Power Steps. What do you guys think?

Cool, but they showed a minor scrape not a actual rock slide. I wouldn't beat the hell out of it but for some minor stuff it should be fine. Big fan of not having to jump into tall trucks anymore!
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
      Cool, but they showed a minor scrape not a actual rock slide. I wouldn't beat the hell out of it but for some minor stuff it should be fine. Big fan of not having to jump into tall trucks anymore!
      Same.

If you slammed hard even the slightest tweak would make them a PITA to use.
      Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

I've been wishing/looking for a way to have sliders and retain my Amp steps for a couple of years. Saw these a while back, but there are several problems:

1. They only make them for Jeeps (unless something has changed recently)
        2. They mount on both the frame and the pinch weld. I'm not 100% sure if that's a great idea to tie the two together like that, and might make for more noise or a harsher ride, but I could just be imagining that.
        3. They don't look to me like they would be strong enough to really protect a big truck from major obstacles the same way a custom set of true rock sliders would. I'd say they wouldn't hold up to big time abuse on your F150, and I'm sure they would be even more useless on my F250.
        4. I bet if you do bend/dent them at all, the steps probably wouldn't work.

If you have a Jeep that never sees serious crawling duty, then they seem pretty slick, but I don't know if they would be a legit option for our big trucks.

Like I said, I have been trying to solve this issue for a couple of years. As high as my truck sits, the steps are awesome to have. Heck, I still have to have a step ladder for old folks like my parents and in-laws. With just sliders, everything would become a lot tougher, especially getting the kid in her car seat, and my wife would probably just stop riding anywhere in the truck, altogether. That said, I NEED sliders. I've gone out of my way to be super careful around certain obstacles, sometimes taking a tougher/more precarious line than I want, to protect the body. And I still managed to pick up some light damage this year on Gold Bar Rim in Moab. With a really well-built set of sliders, I could do more with less damage and more confidence/dgaf factor. And that's just it - no one makes an off-the-shelf set of sliders for my truck, so I'd have to go custom, and it won't be cheap.

I've actually tossed around the idea of buying a second set of Amp steps, preferably used, and then cutting the steps themselves in half, then using the extra pair of motors and hinges to essentially have a step for each door on my crew cab. In theory, this would allow me to clear a center support for the sliders that would go right where the two doors meet. It would still be pretty tricky to make everything clear, but the end result would be killer, if it actually worked.

Comment

On my big M715 I just used a standard stirrup mounting aid. I attached them to the cage inside but they could be bolted to a seat. Just flipped them up after I got in.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

On my big M715 I just used a standard stirrup mounting aid. I attached them to the cage inside but they could be bolted to a seat. Just flipped them up after I got in.
            I’ve joked with my wife about having a rope ladder mounted where I could throw out and pull back in. If the truck were 100% function over form, I might do something like that. In its current state, I want to keep it pretty slick.

Comment

Jared, I did find them at least for my truck.

If you guys know me, I don't do any rock crawling but wouldn't mind the extra protection provided by these. Not to mention that are $300-400 more than the AMP Research Power Steps. Probably never going to really abuse them but now you have me thinking if any damage to them will prevent them from working properly. Guess a little more research is in order.

Comment

Folks on the JL forums tend to like them but I haven't seen anyone do a hard slam onto them when crawling. I agree with jluv's comments regarding the pinch seam. IMO these should do well if you scrape against the rocks but I think you'll run into issues if you have a hard drop onto the rocks.

IMO, ROAM's frame mounted armored steps are a great looking and very solid option. Be aware that they have a 2nd version that mounts on the pinch seam. I have those and they are great, but I don't do any hard core crawling.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                  Jared, I did find them at least for my truck.

If you guys know me, I don't do any rock crawling but wouldn't mind the extra protection provided by these. Not to mention that are $300-400 more than the AMP Research Power Steps. Probably never going to really abuse them but now you have me thinking if any damage to them will prevent them from working properly. Guess a little more research is in order.
                  I wonder if they've sold enough for your truck to get any real-world feedback. I bet they hold up fine to minor sliding across rocks, but if your whole truck slides sideways into or down onto a boulder...

I removed my amp steps last week and dropped my truck off to get sliders made for it. I'm definitely going to miss the steps, but I need the protection for my type of wheeling. The sliders I'm getting are mostly 1/4" square tubing and have lots of support arms and gussets.

Comment

I have been eyeballing amps for my monster. I doubt I will run into anything that would cause me to drop into the body with a 8in lift and 38's. I haven't been wheeling in a while anyways. Just tired of the hop and the drop. I will say though much easier in this truck than my Jeeps of the past. Hand on belt cover and door I can just lower my self right down. The up part though is a step for sure.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I have been eyeballing amps for my monster. I doubt I will run into anything that would cause me to drop into the body with a 8in lift and 38's. I haven't been wheeling in a while anyways. Just tired of the hop and the drop. I will say though much easier in this truck than my Jeeps of the past. Hand on belt cover and door I can just lower my self right down. The up part though is a step for sure.
                      Mine’s on an 8” lift and 42s. I bounced the lower part of the rear driver side door off a Boulder in Moab last year. I’ve also avoided a few obstacles and lines because rocker damage was inevitable. Time to go back and hit those now that I’ll have the sliders. I definitely intend to put them to use.

The AMP steps are glorious, though. Mine tucked away so high when closed that you couldn’t see them at all, tucked higher than the pinch weld, so damaging them wasn’t ever really a concern, but they also did nothing to protect the truck. I removed them like two days before I took the truck to CO Springs, and getting in and out during that time was a damn circus. I’m tall with long arms, but anyone shorter would have had to use a step ladder, guaranteed. It’s gonna still be interesting with the sliders, since they won’t come down near as far as the steps. My wife is less than thrilled.

If you aren’t planning to wheel in places where you’ll bang up your rockers, I can’t recommend the AMP steps enough. They were one of the best things I ever did to my truck.

Comment

I have amp steps on my 15 Sierra and love them. When they are tucked they are almost undetectable. That truck is 2WD, so the only reason I got them was for my kiddo that has some hip issues.

The motors and brackets are solid, nicely built. Their steps however are extruded aluminum and I couldn't seem them taking much of a hit, especially against the rocks.

Comment

Working...
                        X