Bicycle tires? WTH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bicycle tires? WTH?

For the past few months it has been a struggle to find affordable 26" mountain bike tires. I am just looking for cheap tires for a cheap kids mountain bike. I really wasn't wanting road tires, but I might if that's what it takes to get rolling.

Even Amazon shows this size to be scarce for my price point.

I wonder if I can talk an associate in Sporting Goods to walk over and check the shelf before I drive to another...

Everything bike related has been damn near sold out since like April.

At the same time it looks like amazon has some in the $40 price range...

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
      For the past few months it has been a struggle to find affordable 26" mountain bike tires. I am just looking for cheap tires for a cheap kids mountain bike. I really wasn't wanting road tires, but I might if that's what it takes to get rolling.

I wonder if I can talk an associate in Sporting Goods to walk over and check the shelf before I drive to another...
      Try Jenson. They have some like this one.

Comment

Lot's of Covid hobbies cropping up, in a similar vein you can't find a new game console anywhere in store, and online is showing $100+ mark-ups. It's no longer a distribution issue, I can't even get an Xbox direct from the company portal.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
          Try Jenson. They have some like this one.

https://www.jensonusa.com/WTB-Vigila...ght-FR-26-Tire
          $61.95

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
            $61.95
            In the world of modern bikes that is cheap.

Comment

Academy here has been out of 26" tubes for months, I ended up having to go to a local bike shop to get some for my older Specialized.

Comment

Monster run on bike parts due to covid. Stuff is out everywhere. I rebuilt a basic 90s road bike and it took 45 days due to waiting on mid tier parts, mostly getting drop shipped from overseas.
                My LBS can't keep anything in stock
                DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Oh I know. I went to get new tires and tubes for my bike. $90 for both, that same day I bought a brand new bike for $149.

Comment

They are stupid expensive, I remember cheap car tires that cost what they're charging for some bike tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post

I have some brand spanking new 26 x 1.75 you can have if you want them and they will fit, but they are a mixed use tire. I also have some tubes if you need them but I cant remember if they are presta or schr. I bought 4 but only need two for spares, if any, the tires are so beefy I bought. They just landed from Sweden last month after a forever wait. I also have some 29 x 2.0 thick slicks for a MTB if anyone needs them. I order in bulk, what can I say.

Continental Ride City ETRTO

Schwalbe Marathon HS Wire Bead Tire

Your pick, I have the Conts on my Crank forward right now but I can swap them out. Schwalbes are new hanging on the wall, the others have 20 miles or so. Same with the thick slicks. I also have a 650c tube if anyone needs one, and some 29 in tubes also.

Wait did I mention grips? I have three sets of those, one foam and two fancy rubber sets that came on my WTF bike. Oh, and a flat MTB bar.......................Look, its a habit.
                      Last edited by kingjason; 09-02-2020, 04:42 PM.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Is it Covid or is it the Chinese trade war? Try buying a chest freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                          Is it Covid or is it the Chinese trade war? Try buying a chest freezer.
                          The list of what I know

AC units
                          Bikes and parts
                          Weight lifting shit
                          Fencing anything
                          Game systems
                          There was the great TP and meat crisis/bidets
                          Hand Sanitizer
                          Any form of bleach and vinagar
                          Did I mention Bacon.
                          Ramen and green beans.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Everything seems to be in short supply, and I'll bet it gets worse right before the Elections.
                            Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Originally posted by 68RR View Post
                              Everything seems to be in short supply, and I'll bet it gets worse right before the Elections.
                              I dont think China is behind anything. I think you have millions of people suddenly stuck at home going WTF. Tons of people on the streets and trails now that were not there a year ago. No one was ready for the influx of hobbyists and home improvements.

Oh yeah, there was a above ground pool crisis also.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                              X