DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Back Porch

The Back Porch General Discussions for topics that don't belong in other forums.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:08 PM   #81
davbrucas
Lifer
VIP Member

With that said, 9.5/10 "chronic pain" patients that come into my ER are gaming for some dope...

I look them all up on the national narcotic database and they have 5-7 narcotic/benzo Rx per month (30-90 pills each) from 4-5 different providers. Not happening.
davbrucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:21 PM   #82
talismans
On Walkabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
With that said, 9.5/10 "chronic pain" patients that come into my ER are gaming for some dope...

I look them all up on the national narcotic database and they have 5-7 narcotic/benzo Rx per month (30-90 pills each) from 4-5 different providers. Not happening.

And herein lies the problem. The people who are in chronic pain are also "gaming for some dope" to put it down straight. Because they want to stop hurting. They will use many of the same phrases. They may even mention a drug specifically, that they've had good luck with in the past, which is about the worst thing you can do. "Oh my god, he knows the name of a common pain killer! His last name must be Escobar!"

I mean how absurd is it that we have the capabilities to take care of people but then hold it over their head, or even worse, deny them altogether? It's awful. It takes away their humanity. It's humiliating as hell going into a doctors office with chronic pain, because you know all the shit they're thinking, and all you want to be able to do is live your life. Every time I leave my doctors office, I feel like I'm being let out of an interrogation cell. And for the most part, I don't even have trouble with these people! I can only imagine what horror stories are going on out there that aren't in the general publics purview.
talismans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:24 PM   #83
slow99
Genetically Blessed

Can you show them an MRI? "Yeah, this doesn't look like it hurts at all."

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.
slow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:12 PM   #84
black50
Strawberry

Has anyone had an artificial disk replacement. I know they had some trouble with them back in the early 2000's just wondered if they have perfected it.

I have an L5/S1 Herniated disk with sciatica
black50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #85
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Send a message via Skype™ to Tx Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by black50 View Post
Has anyone had an artificial disk replacement. I know they had some trouble with them back in the early 2000's just wondered if they have perfected it.

I'm curious about this too as I have l4l5 and l5s1 herniated.
Tx Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:30 PM   #86
Mike
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
I'm curious about this too as I have l4l5 and l5s1 herniated.
Have you tried hitting yourself?
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:35 PM   #87
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Send a message via Skype™ to Tx Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman View Post
And herein lies the problem. The people who are in chronic pain are also "gaming for some dope" to put it down straight. Because they want to stop hurting. They will use many of the same phrases. They may even mention a drug specifically, that they've had good luck with in the past, which is about the worst thing you can do. "Oh my god, he knows the name of a common pain killer! His last name must be Escobar!"

I mean how absurd is it that we have the capabilities to take care of people but then hold it over their head, or even worse, deny them altogether? It's awful. It takes away their humanity. It's humiliating as hell going into a doctors office with chronic pain, because you know all the shit they're thinking, and all you want to be able to do is live your life. Every time I leave my doctors office, I feel like I'm being let out of an interrogation cell. And for the most part, I don't even have trouble with these people! I can only imagine what horror stories are going on out there that aren't in the general publics purview.
I couldn't have said this better myself. The Dr's, in far too many cases, treat you like a fiend for needing meds to function day to day. Hell, I can't take the stuff that so many can that tend towards addiction, it makes me ill. The strongest oral pain killers I can take us tramadol/ultracet.
Tx Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #88
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black50 View Post

I believe there is another thread here on the board that goes in depth on this. I can't remember the board member talking about it though
black2002ls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:05 PM   #89
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

On the chronic pain, my last script was a 3 mo supply of Tramadol. Well, a script for 30 pills with 2 refills. This was before the classification change. That script lasted me a year and a half. When I asked for a refill, the doc basically said it was too much trouble. I would only take it when I had a flare up, which wasn't very often.
black2002ls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #90
davbrucas
Lifer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman View Post

I did not go into pain management or other primary care (chronic disease management) specialty for a reason...99% of these patients are the histrionic, woe-is-me types.
Unfortunately, EMTALA says I have to see these patients when they come to the ER.
I've met you and know you're in that 1%, but most of your chronic pain posts on here come across otherwise.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #91
talismans
On Walkabout

Quote:
I did not go into pain management or other primary care (chronic disease management) specialty for a reason...99% of these patients are the histrionic, woe-is-me types.
Unfortunately, EMTALA says I have to see these patients when they come to the ER.
I've met you and know you're in that 1%, but most of your chronic pain posts on here come across otherwise.

Has it occurred to you that sometimes people exaggerate because they haven't been taken seriously when they've needed relief in the past? That being said, I'm sure you've seen all kinds of crazy shit from people, but at the opposite end of the spectrum, I've seen all the bad shit from the patient side. The whole thing is beyond frustrating, you just basically can't win. I've been fairly fortunate all things considered, but it really drives me mad to see what others go through when just a bottle of pills could change their life, but their practitioner says no.

I'm having a pretty bad day today, too. Stabbing pain in my lower right rear flank. Shoulder blades are achy, neck is tight like normal. I think I slept a bit wrong last night, and the weather isn't helping either. Meds are barely even touching it. And I have to jump through hoops to get those meds. The only time I really notice the hydro any more is the morning, when it's been a long period since I've taken it(the hot tub in the AM helps as well, it's a combined effect). That, and when I suddenly realize I've got about two minutes before I better get to bed because I'm hardly able to keep my eyes open. Before that I was having a pretty good week, though I always start deteriorating towards early to mid afternoon.

Hell, knowing my history a bit while we're talking, do you have any advice aside from me needing to drop this sedentary weight I've put on? I don't want to put on too much because by default you'll have to start hating me!! This has been a good convo, feels good to talk about all this shit and get rid of some of my frustration about the medical field, even if we don't completely agree about everything.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #92
davbrucas
Lifer
VIP Member

Regardless whether you want to admit it, Eric, you have been suffering from depression since the divorce. Until you seriously address that, you will continue in the rut you're in.
Start with swimming or cycling 3 times a week. Change your diet. Add in weight training (light weights) and progress from there. You'd be amazed at how much your back pains will improve if you strengthen your core muscles.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #93
Sean88gt
Avenge Me!

I think Eric is suffering from appetite suppression, he will stop at nothing to avoid feeling hungry
Sean88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #94
talismans
On Walkabout

Quote:
Regardless whether you want to admit it, Eric, you have been suffering from depression since the divorce. Until you seriously address that, you will continue in the rut you're in.
Start with swimming or cycling 3 times a week. Change your diet. Add in weight training (light weights) and progress from there. You'd be amazed at how much your back pains will improve if you strengthen your core muscles.

It might surprise you, but pain aside, I'm in the middle of a Renaissance, and have been since last Spring. The last few months have been especially good. Things really started turning around after the Alaska Trip, and that was in August of 2012, right before I bought the house. I'm way better off now than I was even before getting engaged. Hell, I still even make more money!
Old 01-01-2015, 04:43 PM   #95
Captain Crawfish
Lifer

listen to dr Dave. Everything except his football calls lol
Captain Crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #96
Sean88gt
Avenge Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIK46 View Post
Not sure you're the authority to call anyone out on their football pics. If you carry the burden of your shitty picks, you're going to blow your back out.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #97
davbrucas
Lifer
VIP Member

Quote:

We will see who pays whom later tonight.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:03 PM   #98
Captain Crawfish
Lifer

Quote:
We will see who pays whom later tonight.
Good luck
Old 01-01-2015, 05:05 PM   #99
Captain Crawfish
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Not sure you're the authority to call anyone out on their football pics. If you carry the burden of your shitty picks, you're going to blow your back out.
I win more than I lose. What's your call on sugar bowl?
Old 01-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #100
Sean88gt
Avenge Me!

Quote:
I win more than I lose. What's your call on sugar bowl?
Whalabama by 15.