Restaurant recommendations for San Francisco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
    For dinner if you like seafood, Alioto's on the warf is great and the view is excellent in the evening if there's no fog.
    No offense, but Alioto's is not very good compared to other SF options.
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
      None taken, but I didn't realize it had to be an exceptional restaurant in order to be suggested.
      Originally posted by stevo
      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

None taken, but I didn't realize it had to be an exceptional restaurant in order to be suggested.

lol. Me and Danny ate there on the Bonneville Trip. We both thought it was great(I'm pretty sure he thought it was great. I really liked it), but the serving size on the swordfish seemed like it was meant for an 8 year old girl. I'm no foodie or anything, but I would take Jody's advice since he lived there and was able to sample much more than people who are there vacationing. I think it's kind of hard to have a bad meal in San Francisco. I'm glad Sutro Tower was brought up. I've never heard of it; going to have to check it out the next time I make it out there.

Comment

Craig and Lea require Cambodian. They only drink the finest breast milk.

Comment

It doesn't have to be exceptional, but we will probably only be having a "nice" dinner one of the nights, as opposed to a number of different places over a week.

Food quality / taste is high on the list, as is ambiance. Not as concerned about view.

Would like to keep the cost below about $200 for the two of us, with very modest wine. After all, I do not work for the railroad or anything.

Comment

I was there back in May and thoroughly enjoyed a very nice little sushi place over in the Presidio area. I can't remember the name, but can find it if you're interested. It was $$$, but not cowhide-like $$$.

Comment

Boudin's a block over from the wharf is to die for if you like sourdough. Great for breakfast or lunch, but not a sophisticated spot for dinner.

Comment

Here goes - not exactly sure what "romantic" entails, but I'm taking it as fancier, non-everday type places. Not sure how long you'll be in the city, so here goes our favorites.

Romantic/Upscale:

Gary Danko - American Cuisine
                  Michael Mina - American/Californian
                  Ozuma - Sushi
                  Flour & Water - Italian
                  Slanted Door - Vietnamese

Our list of best "everyday" type restaurants:

Sushi Bistro - sushi in Inner Richmond
                  Burma Superstar - Burmese in Inner Richmond. Phenomenal and you won't find this food anywhere else.
                  Sotto Mare - Italian Seafood in little Italy/north beach (Renowned for cioppino - best dish in SF)
                  Za or Paxtis - Best pizza. Paxtis has a couple locations and is deep dish style but has a "thin" crust option that's amazing. Za is regular style crust in Russian Hill and best pizza I've ever eaten.

Don't eat a meal on the wharf. It's a tourist trap - the really good restaurants are a couple blocks south in little Italy/north beach. The great thing about SF is that there are very few chains. There are only 2 McDonalds in the entire city.
                  We will be in the city for 3 nights with another couple. One night we will be with them, one night we will be at a show, so we are primarily looking for one night, to have a nice dinner for just the two of us.

Which would you pick for a couple, and then maybe a second option, for 2 couples?

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                    Boudin's a block over from the wharf is to die for if you like sourdough. Great for breakfast or lunch, but not a sophisticated spot for dinner.
                    Good to know. May be a good lunch option for the day we do Alcatraz. I assume this place? https://www.boudinbakery.com/boudin_sf_menu

A bread bowl of clam chowder sounds good!

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                      Good to know. May be a good lunch option for the day we do Alcatraz. I assume this place? https://www.boudinbakery.com/boudin_sf_menu

A bread bowl of clam chowder sounds good!
                      The white or the red?
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Gear_Jammer View Post
                        I was there back in May and thoroughly enjoyed a very nice little sushi place over in the Presidio area. I can't remember the name, but can find it if you're interested. It was $$$, but not cowhide-like $$$.
                        We do love Sushi..

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                        The white or the red?
                        I prefer New England (white) but will eat either.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili
                          I prefer New England (white) but will eat either.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

The white or the red?
                            I can never remember that.... White?

Comment

I must have missed something.

Never was a big Ace Ventura fan if it's something from the movies. Have probably only see them a couple times at best. At least I think that's what that is, but the pic is dinky.
                              Last edited by Chili; 01-02-2015, 01:43 PM.

Comment

The white or the red?
                                Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                                I can never remember that.... White?

can't embed...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO9wIrvTvSw

Comment

Working...
                                X