Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get rich quick owning a cattle ranch?! It ain't as easy as it seems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

native pasture is 1 head per 20 acres .

Comment

We have a 5th generation farm in my family, so I can attest to the struggles to keep things in the black. My Dad's getting pretty old at this point, and I'm not ready to move to the farm, so we just sold off the last of the herd last month. We are leasing the property out to another 5th generation family that has an established commercial operation. I'm hoping to retire early from IT and farm for fun ... glad I don't have to rely on it. I hope there will be a way for my son (or daughter!) to make money with the land other then selling, but I'm not holding my breath.

I can believe 30 acres per head in Wyoming ... that land is pretty rough up there.
      DamonH

Comment

you'd go broke quick from the long Wyoming winters

Comment

Bitcoin is the way to get rich quick!
          Originally posted by davbrucas
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

One full grown cow per 20 to 30 acres is legit. Grass needs time to rejuvinate etc. Overseeding and fertalizing helps but also brings down your profit margin when you have other shit to do.

One good way to make money with them is utilizing public grazing areas. Lets you keep a bigger herd and lower cost. You put that saved money back into the herd and that pays off in the end.

As much as i fucking hate cattle, they are a neccisary evil in the part of the us i live in.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
              Bitcoin is the way to get rich quick!
              Get rich quickerer in CSHD my friend....
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Where the hell are y’all living, where 300 acres will only support 10 head?
                "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
                  Where the hell are y’all living, where 300 acres will only support 10 head?
                  300 acres in Wyoming ain't shit! that's like one acre here

Comment

We are not in Wyoming, is the 30 acre per head Wyoming cattle math? If so, fuck that!
                    "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
                    http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
                    Factory Five MK4 Cobra
                    Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
                    http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
                    www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
                    sigpic

Comment

The rest of us are discussing math and the profits of ranching, and Soap is still trying to figure out why that video wasn't put in the NSFW section.
                      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
                        We are not in Wyoming, is the 30 acre per head Wyoming cattle math? If so, fuck that!
                        30-20 per acre here is normal and recommended unless you want to supplement a lot of hay or grain. If you're supplementing it gets expensive or you have a hell of a hay operation ahead of that. You're still at the mercy of nature.
                        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                          The rest of us are discussing math and the profits of ranching, and Soap is still trying to figure out why that video wasn't put in the NSFW section.

Comment

Btw when they say they they are talking one unit aka a cow/calf pair =s one unit

Comment

the numbers are usually native pasture which = shit so it does take 20 acres per unit . i have improved grass so my numbers are much different. an acre of Bermuda will graze much more and with some cross fence you can bail for winter feed supplement .

Comment

Working...
                              X