GFCI won't reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI won't reset

I included a picture below to follow along since I'm a visual learner.

This morning, I noticed the GFCI in my master bathroom (#1) was tripped. I installed this outlet a few months ago along with a new GFCI outlet in my hallway half-bath (#2). Both of these outlets are connected to the outlets in my garage (#3). The MB outlet (#1) trips every once in a while, and I notice that it takes a good 5-7 pushes of the reset button to get it to stay in. It will just pop out every time I try to push it in.

Well once I finally reset #1, I go into the half-bath to reset #2. The second I reset it, #1 trips, every time. So #2 will not reset at all at this point because #1 trips every time I try to reset #2.

So what would be causing both of these issues (#1 taking a few attempts to reset AND #1 tripping every time I try to reset #2)? My gut tells me something is wrong with #2, which is causing #1 to trip every time #2 is reset, but I'm definitely not an expert. Any help?

Sounds like ground/neutral is wired wrong? That's what caused mine to act all fucked up

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
      Sounds like ground/neutral is wired wrong? That's what caused mine to act all fucked up
      I guess it's possible but they've been working fine for 6 months now. I don't know what would cause them to screw up all of a sudden.

Comment

Perhaps a loose wire.. Are they screw or clamp style terminals?

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
          Perhaps a loose wire.. Are they screw or clamp style terminals?
          They're the "EZ connect" or whatever, where you put the wire into the hole, and the wire is then clamped down by the screw. I did have to use all of my force to get the outlet back into the box (this new outlet was much thicker than the old one) so it's possible some shit came loose in there.

Comment

Well, first thing is you only need 1 GFCI in the loop. If number (1) is the home run and feeds all the other outlets you just need a GFCI there. If you look on the back of a GFCI normally the top connections are the Line in. the bottom connections are GFCI protected outs for your other plugs down stream.

Comment

I had one last 6 months and go out. Try another one. I put a better one in and no issues so far.
              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Ditto what crooner said if they are on the same circuit. Just need one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
                2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Now the #1 outlet won't even reset. I don't know wtf is going on.

Comment

Have you replaced it?
                    They do go out its not uncommon.

Turn the breaker off at the panel, go to your number one plug. Disconnect the home run and the feeds to the other plugs.

Turn the power back on and check the home run for 120V with your meter. Black is your Hot and white is your neutral or grounded conductor. If you have 120V there but, your GFCI won't reset its bad.

Go pick up a new one at Home Depot for $20 and be done with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X