Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^
    I agree with all of this.
    the intent was soft-skills are more abstract and thus harder to quantify on paper. so common verbiage gets used like "communicates well to others" or "excels at facilitating meetings".
    need to find a way to sell unique and awesome soft-skills on paper and ultimately in an interview.
    Last edited by WhiteMach1; 04-19-2016, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Well, shit.

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
      I can't agree with this point. Soft skills are not as common as most would like, especially in the IT world. We have staffing and recruiting clients and that's a drum they bang on the regular. They wish their candidates had better soft skills. IT can be full of propeller heads and geniuses on the autism spectrum that are difficult to work with. Not disparaging the industry or the aforementioned geniuses, just an opinion with some context.
      I could not agree more. People in IT usually have terrible people skills.

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Long story short , good time to find something to do on your own, there are 100's of ways to earn a good living without someone breathing down your neck

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
          More tech than mgmt. I was a team lead for a few years and recently more of a client service rep, though I continued to handle technical and engineering tasks related to firewall and security.
          I just started at a company that does security. I'll PM you some info, my manager was asking today if I knew anyone to bring in, we will be hiring soon!

Comment

HPE is just a black hole now. Sucking the life out of everyone. My old manager said that he is hiring, but all the positions are in Costa Rica. Meg made it VERY clear that she wanted the employee count to be around 30K in the US.

Frank, it sucks now but trust me, better things await.

Comment

Forgot to say in the PM, the job is in Irving, off 114 and Esters Blvd.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                My old manager said that he is hiring, but all the positions are in Costa Rica.
                For what positions?!
                When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                  HPE is just a black hole now. Sucking the life out of everyone. My old manager said that he is hiring, but all the positions are in Costa Rica. Meg made it VERY clear that she wanted the employee count to be around 30K in the US.

Frank, it sucks now but trust me, better things await.
                  Yep, that is what I am hearing too. I appreciate it.

Comment

Sorry to hear that man. They shut down part of our hedge fund and did layoffs 2 weeks ago - it's going around. Keep your head up, you'll find something more rewarding. From what I understand that place was hell to be around the last few months.
                    Originally posted by davbrucas
                    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Sorry to hear man. Short resumes are best, not sure "I" referring to myself is anywhere on my resume. I just list facts - I tend to undersell on mine, but the Cisco Consulting world is small so it's more there for checkbox purposes.

Linkedin....out of the few hundred recruiters on there, there are maybe 3 that I'd work with - but it's still an avenue worth exploring for leads...etc.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                        For what positions?!
                        Mostly cloud computing consultants. HPE is hiring for a lot of other jobs as well. As I said, Meg wants to send those jobs out of the US.

Give it about 10 years and those positions will start coming back to the US.

Comment

Well, shit.

lol

A quote from a youtube commenter -> "I thought this was a comedy, then I got a job and realized it was a documentary"

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                            I can't agree with this point. Soft skills are not as common as most would like, especially in the IT world. We have staffing and recruiting clients and that's a drum they bang on the regular. They wish their candidates had better soft skills. IT can be full of propeller heads and geniuses on the autism spectrum that are difficult to work with. Not disparaging the industry or the aforementioned geniuses, just an opinion with some context.
                            Originally posted by WhiteMach1 View Post
                            ^
                            I agree with all of this.
                            the intent was soft-skills are more abstract and thus harder to quantify on paper. so common verbiage gets used like "communicates well to others" or "excels at facilitating meetings".
                            need to find a way to sell unique and awesome soft-skills on paper and ultimately in an interview.
                            Well, shit.

Those soft skills are the biggest reason I'm making the kind of money I do now. Sure, I'm very solid in my tech skills but it was my ability to get in front of large groups or corp execs that made me a lock for the positions I've been offered.

Now, the sales guys at VMware are all over me now, trying to put me in front of as many customers as they can. I can't wait to see that first bonus check.

Comment

My resume' was shite. A friend who has owned her own very successful marketing diagnostics company for years, and has reviewed/edited many friend's resumes took a crack at mine. It is much more sparse than I expected and bullet points now. I feel confident and have been sending it to many leads. I am hesitant to go through recruiters just yet. Some places it takes for ever even after you submit the resume to go through all the hoops filling out information the resume already has in it. I am finding it really is time consuming. Everyone keeps asking "Have you followed that lead I sent you?" and I am getting around to all of them eventually, though distance from where I live is a factor in some of those decisions.

Thank you all for the leads and advice. I've championed for a lot of people over the years in various matters, maybe that good karma is making its way back.

Comment

So....entering month 5. A good severance and some smart financial moves when I was younger means I have no stress now and a lot of time to think. There has been a lot of self-discovery, self-improvement, education, and general eye opening experiences. Being thrown out forced me to face some things and recognize some amazing possibilities out there. Sure, I am still looking, but I have a much MUCH clearer vision.

Turns out, I am really beyond the hands-on technical of my past. I am somewhat outdated and narrow in that regard. I fully admit it. I still want to delve deeper in all things IT security, but I just discovered my experience and abilities are an excellent fit toward things like sales engineering, service delivery exec, security compliance, researcher, etc. It took a lot of conversations with various recruiters, some stinker interviews, and research to learn all of this. I have also finally started studying for my CISSP with a goal of having it completed by the end of the year. Life is good, but I can't wait to land that next gig that I feel is really going to take things to a whole other level I could not have imagined had I not been laid off.

Comment

Working...
                                X