Drag Suspension Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Suspension Setup

Soft front springs, firm rear springs, Dial in your instant center to keep the rear of the car from squatting or coming up, is that a good place to start? Where does the rear ride height usually end up compared to stock, for a "good" instant center, Fox/Sn95, stock suspension mounting points.
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

What works for a drag radial car with a stick is going to be completely different than on a 28x10.5 tire car with a transbrake.

For me personally I'd start with adjustable rear shocks, a good anti-roll bar and aftermarket control arms with spherical bushings. That's after reinforcing the torque boxes and doing subframe connectors though.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
      What works for a drag radial car with a stick is going to be completely different than on a 28x10.5 tire car with a transbrake.

For me personally I'd start with adjustable rear shocks, a good anti-roll bar and aftermarket control arms with spherical bushings. That's after reinforcing the torque boxes and doing subframe connectors though.
      I already have everything you mentioned. Lets say drag radial with a stick.
      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Might be easier with the slick and stick.

Comment

slick and stick. Much easier to optimize on a stick car imho.

Comment

What are some general tuning principles with front and rear springs and ride height?

Comment

i'd honestly just search for someone who has done the hard part with a combination similar to yours, and then fine tune from there. I can help find a build. whats the combo?

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                i'd honestly just search for someone who has done the hard part with a combination similar to yours, and then fine tune from there. I can help find a build. whats the combo?
                I am just looking for general suspension tuning advice really, I am thinking of building a n/a high 9 second car that focuses on suspension vs raw power, I'd like to know how to make a stock suspension mustang hook, on a drag radial, trans is up in the air at this point. I'd really like to know about instant center/percentage of rise/anti squat etc for the rear, and spring setup for the front and rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                  I am just looking for general suspension tuning advice really, I am thinking of building a n/a high 9 second car that focuses on suspension vs raw power, I'd like to know how to make a stock suspension mustang hook, on a drag radial, trans is up in the air at this point. I'd really like to know about instant center/percentage of rise/anti squat etc for the rear, and spring setup for the front and rear.
                  I've followed the rule of "make the bottom bar level/parallel to the ground at ride height." On my current car I have cut the rear spring to get the bottom bar level on a 26" tire. I've run the mickey thompson 235/60 radial and the 26x8.5 slicks with similar results on the same combo. In the rear I have adjustable uppers and lowers from wolfe with the stock spring location cup on the lower bar, and 10 way strange shocks. I also run 10 way strange in the front. This combo is probably very close to low 10's high 9's (ran 6.59@106 1/8th so far.)

Last year I ran a 302/t5 on 26x8.5 slicks(same suspension stuff but with much looser shock settings) and went 7.40. I think the stock location holes, a level lower bar and some good adjustable shocks will be all you need to go high 9's. You might look into the team Z upper rear relocation kit, I've read a bunch of good stuff about it. Its supposed to correct the instant center for fox bodies, you might even call team Z and ask them what it corrects it to and they may tell you the information you're after.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue88Coupe View Post
                    I've followed the rule of "make the bottom bar level/parallel to the ground at ride height." On my current car I have cut the rear spring to get the bottom bar level on a 26" tire. I've run the mickey thompson 235/60 radial and the 26x8.5 slicks with similar results on the same combo. In the rear I have adjustable uppers and lowers from wolfe with the stock spring location cup on the lower bar, and 10 way strange shocks. I also run 10 way strange in the front. This combo is probably very close to low 10's high 9's (ran 6.59@106 1/8th so far.)

Last year I ran a 302/t5 on 26x8.5 slicks(same suspension stuff but with much looser shock settings) and went 7.40. I think the stock location holes, a level lower bar and some good adjustable shocks will be all you need to go high 9's. You might look into the team Z upper rear relocation kit, I've read a bunch of good stuff about it. Its supposed to correct the instant center for fox bodies, you might even call team Z and ask them what it corrects it to and they may tell you the information you're after.
                    Nice, thank you! What kind of 60's are you cutting?

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                      Nice, thank you! What kind of 60's are you cutting?
                      I've been cutting 1.56/1.57 on 8# pretty regularly. This past weekend I turned it up and left on 14# and went 1.53 once or twice. I'm hoping to get a 1.4x next time out.

Comment

I dug through my time slips from this past weekend and went a 1.51, that was the fastest ever 60'. It wasn't a good pass though cause I was hitting boost cut dialing in the boost controller. Here is a pass from this past weekend probably a 1.54 60' never mind the popping and banging from the other car.

You'll be able to leave a lot harder than this setup with a clutch, i Leave off the trans brake at 3500. Last year with the 5 speed I'd dump the clutch at 5500 302/t5/4.56/26" and it would tote the front tire but the 60' was only around 1.55. I did a bunch of reading on the stick/radial when I had the t5 because I wanted to run on the street and what I *read* (not actually tested first hand) was that the stick would tear the stiffer sidewalls out of the radials pretty quick so I wound up just running my slicks everywhere.

Comment

So the idea on the team z UCA mounts appears to raise the UCA axle side mounting point to help with the instant center, I wonder if an offset bushing would do the job, I bet it would have issues rotating in the bushing "housing" on the axle.

Comment

I'd ask this guy...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmPiiEbW668&sns=em[/ame]

Comment

damn

Comment

Working...
                              X