MIG welding stainless exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIG welding stainless exhaust

Anyone here have first hand experience doing this? Any tips you guys can post up will be appreciated. I'm aware that stainless wire is a must to maintain the anti-corrosive properties of stainless and that a tri-mix gas is recommended. Thing is, I'm having trouble finding anyone that sells a small cylinder of tri-mix. Supposedly tri-mix is only available in the large cylinders. Last gas supply store I called mentioned straight argon was the ticket. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    --carlos

sigpic

Is this for a complete system or are you just trying to weld a couple joints to exiting OEM tubes?

If a complete system I would just tack it together and take it to someone who can finish the welds on a TIG machine with stainless rod.

This would likely cost you less than buying the Tri-mix.

Comment

Ok, can you give me a ballpark # as to how much it would cost to do a complete system?

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

you would be much better and cheaper off running a flux core wire (.035 ) with around 15 p,s,i, of 75/25 argon /co2. makes for a much prettier and forgiving weld . also stainless burns very hot so watch for distorsion in your flanges and collectors .anything you can clamp down flat before welding and to allow to cool would be advisable.

Comment

I've always had good luck with a quality machine using stainless wire and pure argon. Also if you can, back purge it.

Comment

Well I've decided to just use mild steel. Can anyone recommend where to source straight tubing and mandrel bends?

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

Columbia river mandrel bending.

Comment

Anyone else? They don't list 2.5" kits.

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

eBay also has some ok prices on kits.

Comment

Any pros or cons to aluminized steel?

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
                      Any pros or cons to aluminized steel?

Make sure you clean it good at the weld site, that stuff is a PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
                        Well I've decided to just use mild steel. Can anyone recommend where to source straight tubing and mandrel bends?

Speedway motors

Comment

Me and phaux recently did a 3" 304L system. First time either of us had done exhaust that I'm aware of. We just tacked it all together and then he took it and finish welded it. It was all shielded with argon and when he finish welded it was backpurged with the same gas.

I bought all the bends from some place up north called verocious motorsports or some shit like that.

Comment

Working...
                          X