No announcement yet.

Anyone on here done a car/vehicle wrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone on here done a car/vehicle wrap?

Wondering how hard it is to do a wrap....want to wrap the top half of my boat a solid color and trying to decide if we should give it a shot or not. Seems like they want more in labor then the actual material. Looking for anyone with experience for some advice on it

I emailed one of the distributors and they confirmed the avery sw900 vinyl would work good on a boat, but hoping someone with real experience could chime in or if there are any good diy sites/videos

Comment

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

not being a smart ass, but i dont think we have any wrappers here. I know that the only way to do a car correctly is to remove all trim, bumpers, etc. i dont know much about boats though.

Comment

I've read up on it. Clean surfaces, lots of heat, work from the center out and make your cuts huge. Any blemish in the paint will show in the wrap.
        Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

A boat wouldnt be to bad, I am sure there are youtube videos

Comment

Not hard, just tedious. Having two sets of hands makes life easier. High quality vinyl is much more forgiving and flexible. I had really good luck with 3M Di-Noc purchased from metrorestyling.com. Do each side in one piece. Nobody likes seams.

Comment

thanks for the input, I was hoping we had a resident wrapper here that could chime in but I wasn't sure. I've looked at videos but there mainly professionals doing work, not so many diy videos, at any rate I'll keep checking it out and see if I want to give it a try. Its pretty much smooth and straight so definitely not hard as a car but I want it to look good so not sure if I should try it or not!

Comment

would it not get fucked up with water getting in the seams? have you thought of that plastic spray?

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                  would it not get fucked up with water getting in the seams? have you thought of that plastic spray?
                  It sucks that you're back to your old ways. You're a pretty cool guy when you're not being an asshole.

Comment

ok i'll stop fuckin around. the first part of the question was legit. Can you post a pic of the boat and an idea of what you are trying to do, OP?

Comment

That worked?

Comment

I'm only wanting to cover this green up to give it a little newer look. Planning on doing like a matte dark grey or even black. My wife can help me and is good with that kind of thing so we are thinking about it. I can pull off all the fittings and stuff. Thought about plastidip but not sure it would hold up as well?

Comment

As long as the wrap is above the waterline you should be fine. There is a 3M glue that can be applied to the seams to ensure the bond. I would only apply the glue to the top of the film at the seams overlap cause it might not come off of the hull. Buy some top notch film and take your time putting it on. Since you mentioned a matte color, the 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber film has a matte texture without too much gloss. Definitely do it while the temps are still high.

Those nose corner platform thingys would be a hassle.

Comment

You would be better off with paint but vinyl will work. Vinyl will not last as long as paint. I would not use any brand other than 3M. At my previous employer we would use the 3M vinyl + overlaminate as the only combination that proved itself to us to last more than 3 years. Of course we were printing on it also.

Quality wrap is a skill that you won't learn on your first try. You will need a small propane torch, a heat gun, an assortment of razor knives and squeegees, and odd and end tools. You can do it but don't be disappointed if it isn't perfect on your first try.

By the time it is all said and done a quality vinyl job will cost as much as paint and only last around 7 years.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Maybe we'll look at doing some paint. I hate all the labor to repaint but know its something we can do so may decide to go that route

Comment

Working...
                              X