DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Food

Food Future Poop

Old 04-15-2017, 12:53 AM   #1
Gasser64
Lifer

Default Microwave alternatives

I've always liked to eat healthy, and lately I've been getting better and better at eating right. I find that the better I eat, the better I feel. Its no small difference, I feel a lot better when I eat healthy. So much so that I'd rather just eat healthy than feel dragged down by my last meal.

And its pretty clear by now, if you read up on it, that microwaves are something that shouldn't have anything to do with food. So after doing my due diligence, I'm getting rid of mine. But what's a good alternative to warm something up quickly? Ovens aren't really made for that. At least mine isn't. I was thinking of trying this, since it has a function that is made just to warm up food.

https://www.amazon.com/Nuwave-Pro-In...GNW0S7AGTC6GRF

Any other ideas? I've also heard of "turbo ovens" which are supposed to rapidly heat food.

Last edited by Gasser64; 04-15-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Gasser64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:58 AM   #2
scootro
Lifer

http://instantpot.com/

my aunt swears by her instantpot. i've tasted allot of the food she cooked using it! pretty darn good and it's really amazing how fast that thing cooks
scootro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:12 AM   #3
naynay
Jigga Who?

Go pro?

naynay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:25 AM   #4
Gasser64
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootro View Post
http://instantpot.com/

my aunt swears by her instantpot. i've tasted allot of the food she cooked using it! pretty darn good and it's really amazing how fast that thing cooks

Only thing is, I don't think a pressure cooker is good for just reheating already cooked food. Which is what I'm looking for. Something to replace a microwave in that capacity.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
lowthreeohz
lol wut

get a convection oven
lowthreeohz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:43 AM   #6
Gasser64
Lifer

Thought a normal oven was just a convection oven... but what the hell do I know. Not shit about ovens, that's for sure.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:44 AM   #7
Craizie
Cracka
VIP Member

Why is a microwave so bad?
Craizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:43 AM   #8
naynay
Jigga Who?

surveillance

Old 04-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #9
bcoop
Lifer

I'll disagree that "microwaves shouldn't have anything to do with food." Convection ovens have a fan, standard ovens do not. No, your standard oven isn't a convection oven. Standard ovens use radiant heat, convection used convected heat.

The only "turbo ovens" I'm aware of are on the commercial side and cost thousands of dollars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.
bcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #10
Craizie
Cracka
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
I'll disagree that "microwaves shouldn't have anything to do with food." Convection ovens have a fan, standard ovens do not. No, your standard oven isn't a convection oven. Standard ovens use radiant heat, convection used convected heat.

The only "turbo ovens" I'm aware of are on the commercial side and cost thousands of dollars.
The next time one of those turbochef ovens gets fucked up going through our warehouse I'm grabbing that bitch.
Craizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #11
bcoop
Lifer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie View Post
The next time one of those turbochef ovens gets fucked up going through our warehouse I'm grabbing that bitch.
They're pieces of shit. Hard to clean, hard to get parts and service for at times. You'd be happier with a MerryChef.
Quote:
Old 04-16-2017, 06:45 PM   #12
jluv
Lifer

We have a fancy convection oven thing and I can't tell the difference other than the fan noise. We just use the regular baking anymore.
jluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #13
BradM
Bad Santa

I just use the waffle iron for everything. You ever had a spaghetti waffle?

Last edited by BradM; 04-16-2017 at 08:21 PM.
BradM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:39 AM   #14
lowthreeohz
lol wut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
We have a fancy convection oven thing and I can't tell the difference other than the fan noise. We just use the regular baking anymore.
We have a counter top unit that does both, I can say my bacon cooks faster on convection than without
lowthreeohz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #15
naynay
Jigga Who?

Quote:
you just went full lincolnboy

Old 04-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #16
bcoop
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthreeohz View Post
We have a counter top unit that does both, I can say my bacon cooks faster on convection than without

They do cook 20-25% faster than a standard oven. They are more precise when it comes to temperature. A standard oven will have a thermostat that can be +/- 25 degrees, whereas a convection oven will have a tighter swing, say +/- 5 degrees or so. Convection ovens, when designed properly, are better for precision cooking/baking due to the air flow. You don't have to turn pans halfway through a bake/cook for even browning, etc.
Quote:
Old 04-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #17
Gasser64
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by naynay View Post
surveillance
Don't give them any ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie View Post
Why is a microwave so bad?
All I can really say is just check it out via google. If you do enough reading on the subject, and you care about eating right, you won't want your microwave anymore. They have a bad habit of destroying a lot of nutrients, that "conventional heat" just doesn't. Of course cooking food in general does break them down, but obviously we have to cook a lot of our food. No need to add a nutrient destroying device to it.

And now that I'm getting into healthy eating, I can feel the difference. When I microwave something, I'm hungry again a couple of hours sooner. Depending on the meal (even healthy meals) I'll often feel tired or have somewhat unsettled guts after microwaving. I noticed that if I don't microwave, I just don't get those 2 drawbacks. So given my own experience, and reading up on it, I've decided to just skip the microwave. There does seem to be some options out there to replace it. Although they may not fit perfectly into your kitchen like a microwave will.

Why do all this? Got enough problems in life without food being one of them. Not when I can just eat right and feel much better.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #18
BP
infidel

I had a vegan whacko tell me one time that microwaves use radiation to cook your food. He said you were eating radiation which causes cancer so it's bad. He had some kind of $49 detox kit I could buy that'd cure me of it though.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #19
Gasser64
Lifer

Yeah you'll have to weed through some trash to do your due diligence on the subject. But I'm satisfied enough to say that I won't be using mine anymore. Just my .02
Old 04-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #20
bcoop
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser64 View Post
Don't give them any ideas.

They have a bad habit of destroying a lot of nutrients
I wouldn't call it a bad habit, but yes, microwaves do break down some nutrients (not all).

Quote:
that "conventional heat" just doesn't.
Absolutely, completely, totally, 1000% FALSE. 5 minutes of googling would turn this theory on it's head.

Quote:
Of course cooking food in general does break them down, but obviously we have to cook a lot of our food. No need to add a nutrient destroying device to it.
Do you even read what you write? HEAT destroys nutrients. Period. End of story. Does a Nuwave oven produce heat? Yes, yes it does. Does an open (or coiled) burner produce heat? Yes, it does. Does your oven (convection or conventional) produce heat? Yes, yes it does.

A microwave isn't some "magical nutrient destroying device" A microwave produces emits microwaves that in turn cause water molecules to move, which creates heat. Much like many other kitchen appliances. As such, nutrients get destroyed in the process of cooking. It happens in EVERY method of cooking in which heat is used. It happens over fire, over steam, over/under radiant heat, and in a microwave.

Quote:
And now that I'm getting into healthy eating, I can feel the difference.
No you can't.

Quote:
When I microwave something, I'm hungry again a couple of hours sooner.
lolcopter

Quote:
Depending on the meal (even healthy meals) I'll often feel tired or have somewhat unsettled guts after microwaving. I noticed that if I don't microwave, I just don't get those 2 drawbacks.

This is completely, and entirely in your head (unless you have a pacemaker). You have read so much (or so little) on this topic, that you have convinced yourself that you feel bad after using a microwave.

You're entitled to think what you want, regardless of how misinformed or misguided it may be. But with that said, almost everything you posted above is factually incorrect and/or completely made up. But if you're going to get rid of the microwave for being a "nutrient destroying device", you'll want to toss out your pots, pans, pyrex, oven, and stove top too. The best way to eat vegetables is raw.
Quote:

Tags
svo ditched microwave, svo uses laser eyes, wrap balls in foil