3.7/MT82 into 87-93 Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.7/MT82 into 87-93 Mustang

I'm in the middle of swapping a '11-'17 3.7/MT82 drivetrain into a '91 Mustang. Just thought it would be interesting content for here. It isn't a road car so that does make some things easier.

Out with the old.

This was a N/A rebuilt 2.5L that was a very good little motor. Made 140whp which is about double what these things are rated. Of course it wasn't enough and the modern stuff just makes it too easy.

479lbs. with the T5 and no fluids

The 3.7 weighs 400ish minus the starter and no fluids.

With the MT82 it is 550lbs total. The extra 75-80lbs overall will be going right into the belly of the car.

The MT82 is huge compared to the T5. The trans tunnel had to be "slightly" opened up...

Chopped out just a bit of the K-member. Probably not needed, but for how I wanted everything to sit that it what I did.

Engine mounts built from scratch.

It goes in together and I think you can drop the tranny while in the car, but the MT82 is heavy so that will be a major pain in the ass.

How it sits for the moment.

I've done a bunch of other smaller parts to the swap I'll update later and there is still a fair amount left to do before it can run/drive. Why go to all the trouble for a 3.7V6 swap? I'm a ninja and I like to party. It's 300hp, cheaper than others/plentiful, and it should be reliable. The car weighed 2400lbs before so it will still be pretty light.

Seriously cool project! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

wow

Comment

Comment

what are you using for engine management?
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Blue and orange, does this car sport the Gulf Racing look?

Comment

That's awesome, This will be a track car I presume?
              Originally posted by stevo
              Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                what are you using for engine management?
                The ECU and wiring that came from the donor car. I bought the drivetrain with engine, transmission, engine wiring, ECU, accelerator, air-box, and the driveshaft all from the same car. The ECU is not the same as the 5.0 version, but it is supported by HPTuners and I already have that stuff from past projects.

Before:

After:

For gauges I'm using the factory cluster with a CAN Bus tachometer/shift light and a mechanical oil temperature gauge/warning light added to the factory cluster. The '91 oil pressure and water temperature sensors have been added into the engine in all the right spots. I added a factory F-150 coolant-to-oil oil cooler and piped in the temperature sender for the gauge after the oil leaves the cooler. The pressure sensors are Y-ed with each other so that the ECU and '91 gauge cluster will work each with their own sensor.

The new engine doesn't even watch coolant temperature. The ECU monitors cylinder head temperature and there is a sensor in each cylinder head for that. I put the '91 coolant temperature sensor on the engine side of the thermostat. There was enough meat on there to drill/tap with no issue.

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                Blue and orange, does this car sport the Gulf Racing look?
                Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                That's awesome, This will be a track car I presume?

No, it was originally a blue car and then it was white like the Wonder bread car from Talladega Nights and the latest scheme is a play on the Boss 302 look. I think the next look will be a 80/90 DTM clone....

Anyone going? We will be there with a few small changes to our car and hopefully have a good weekend of racing/camping. The weather looks to be perfect and they have about 30 something cars signed up to run which is a great amount for that track. The entry list has some interesting hardware listed and I'm interested to see

Had a Chump Car race a couple of weekends ago. Beautiful track especially in the fall with the trees changing color and the facilities were awesome. The track is very new and was still super smooth with plenty of grip. About a 2-mile circuit in the longest configuration and a lot of elevation changes with one high speed area

Comment

Using the factory gauge cluster and integrating the harnesses is impressive craftsmanship. Great work!

Comment

Too cool. Keep posting!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

baller. What did that takeout package run?
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I suspect that OEM gauge will always read a little hot; modern stuff tends to be kept at higher temps than that old (90s) junk.

Pretty cool man! You could have turbocharged the 2.5 to end up with 300 hp though
                        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

This is bad ass

Great work so far.

Comment

I'm digging this project a lot. this is a lemons car right?

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
                              I'm digging this project a lot. this is a lemons car right?
                              I think they are doing WRL/chump.

Comment

Working...
                              X