Got a new smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new smoker

An electric one . This may get me banned from the food forum but I wanted something I didn't have to babysit

I found a used ( 3 times he said) master built electric smoker (MES40)

New they 300-400 and I got this one for 200

It has an RF remote so I can see what's going on from the comfort of my chair or bed

It has a built in meat thermo so I don't have to open it up to check internal temps

Stainless steel with a window and a light inside

I put a brisket on tonight and plan to throw some ribs on in the morning

So far it's working like a champ

Yesterday

Tonight

1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Truth be told I've thought of this same thing. Takes me at least 10 hours do do briskets and everyone who's had them asks me to do them for them. I do 1 to 4 a month because of it lol.

Comment

So the brisket went in last night uncovered about 11:30 ish with apple juice in the water pan and used a rub combo I found on www.dadgumthatsgood.com/pork-or-baby-back-ribs/ (the guy that made the Masterbuilt smokers wrote the Dadgum thats good book I believe)

When I woke up this morning it was at 158 so I pulled it out and wrapped it up and out it back in headed to 200

I also put in a rack of ribs this morning and some small chicken pieces with three different rubs

So far I'm loving this thing and it smells awesome

( I can tell I'll need to clean the glass after each use)

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post

DO NOT USE WINDEX!! Or any Ammonia based glass cleaner. I don't know at what temperature it happens, exactly, but if you do, once heat is applied, it can and will etch the glass, and give it that frosted glass look, meaning you can't see through it. This happens on ovens all the time. Instead, use 1 part vinegar, and 3 parts water. But clean it with care and caution. Vinegar is caustic, and can cause rust and pitting of stainless steel. So just make sure to rinse any metal that the rag touches very thoroughly with straight water.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          DO NOT USE WINDEX!! Or any Ammonia based glass cleaner. I don't know at what temperature it happens, exactly, but if you do, once heat is applied, it can and will etch the glass, and give it that frosted glass look, meaning you can't see through it. This happens on ovens all the time. Instead, use 1 part vinegar, and 3 parts water. But clean it with care and caution. Vinegar is caustic, and can cause rust and pitting of stainless steel. So just make sure to rinse any metal that the rag touches very thoroughly with straight water.
          This man speaks the truth... Ive seen it happen far to many times

Comment

where does wood go? what are the steps?

i'm guessing there is a tray at the bottom and you put some wet chips in.
            www.hppmotorsports.com
            ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Nice oven!

Comment

There's a door on the side normally where you can pour them in.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                  Nice oven!
                  My wife makes our oven a smoker all the time. Not on purpose of course.

Comment

Wood chip drawer inside

So you don't have to open the door you pull this out, put wood chips in it and push it back in and turn it

Comment

Ribs were my best to date but that isn't saying much lol. But they were good. I just can't wrap my brain around ribs for some reason!

Brisket is in the cooler wrapped up that's dinner

Comment

Chris, what are you doing with your ribs? Dry rub or wet? What spices, or store bought? What cut of rib? Method? I'll help if you can tell me what you're doing, and the results you are getting by that. Looks to be a dry rub, but still need to know more.

Comment

I followed this to a T (except didn't cover the ribs in foil since I"m using this new smoker that doesn't create a ton of smoke)
                          www.dadgumthatsgood.com/pork-or-baby-back-ribs/

baby back ribs

I pulled them at 164* but wasn't happy so I put them back in till 180 (like I have read before) and they were better but still not GREAT ribs.

I did put some store bought sauce on a few of them after I pulled them out of the smoker just to see how they tasted.

I will say that they were pretty freakin hot (spicy) so I prob won't use that recipe again because Stacy and the girls wouldn't be able to eat them

Comment

Rubs are different tastes for different people. I wouldn't like that rub, it has way too much chili powder. That is just something you have to play with. I'll say this, though...

1.) I prefer a spare rib over baby back. They have more meat, fat, an are cheaper.
                            2.) 3-2-1. 3 hours uncovered, 2 hours wrapped in foil, 1 more hour uncovered. If you use a sauce, apply when you unwrap it for the last hour. Sauce isn't necessary, but if you want to add it, thats when you do it.
                            3.). Some people rub with yellow mustard, then the dry rub. I don't. While I do that with pork butt, the flavor pulls through way too much on a rib. Instead, just add a little mustard powder in to your rub.
                            4.). Apple juice, apple juice, apple juice. Spray heavy at every stage. Like 1/4 to half a cup. You can spray or mop. I do both, just depends on my mood. Spray is nice because it doesn't mess with the rub/bark. I do like a mop though, because I'll add in a little oil, and diced onion, minced garlic, etc.
                            5.). Fresh chopped herbs give a nice contrasting flavor to pork. "fresh" to balance the heat and earthy flavor.

Comment

all this at 225 I assume? is this not an internal temp food like brisket?

Comment

Working...
                              X