Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Project: '66 coupe restoration (pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lusk Racing View Post
    Very nice build!!! I love the attention to detail.
    Thanks and yes, I spent a lot of time organizing the layout of.......everything. The payoff is seeing hours of work on every corner, even on the smallest things.

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
    That's really nice man! That is the best color combination for early Mustangs.

It is really staggering how expensive an old car restoration can be, even a simple one like a Mustang. At least you can get all the parts you need for a Mustang!
    I'd have to agree on the color combo. I was sketchy at first, but even the ugly red carpet grew on me, and overall it turned out perfect.

Yes, this is probably the most restored car ever, and every part is available in multiple forms. Hell, by the time this car rolled off of the assembly line in '66, Ford had already produced close to a million mustangs. I was still forced to use Dallas Mustang for the bulk of the interior and hardware. It's cool though, after I spent a couple of thousand there, they saw me coming and treated me great lol!

Comment

That is some very high quality work you did here. I wish i had the time, money, and the patience to put that much work into my 67. Very nice job and Im diggin the color you chose.
      Originally posted by Baron
      If I dissagree with you, it is because you are wrong.

Comment

Nice work man! Makes me wish I had a garage so I could do the same!
        2012 Competition Orange BOSS 302
        www.militarystangs.com

Comment

Originally posted by ma67cpe View Post
          That is some very high quality work you did here. I wish i had the time, money, and the patience to put that much work into my 67. Very nice job and Im diggin the color you chose.
          Thanks man.

Yeah I hear you on the time/money, and I don't have the patience. I would get stuck and have to stay outta the shop for a week lol! My buddies got to the point that when they called me on the weekends, they wouldn't even ask what I was doing, they knew. As for the money, well this one was on someone else's dime, so when the time comes for me to start one on my dime, I know where and how to get frugal. When he brought the car to me, he said "unlimited budget", and I said "mother of god". I would have a hard time spending the coin, but it is well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
            Thanks man.

Yeah I hear you on the time/money, and I don't have the patience. I would get stuck and have to stay outta the shop for a week lol! My buddies got to the point that when they called me on the weekends, they wouldn't even ask what I was doing, they knew. As for the money, well this one was on someone else's dime, so when the time comes for me to start one on my dime, I know where and how to get frugal. When he brought the car to me, he said "unlimited budget", and I said "mother of god". I would have a hard time spending the coin, but it is well worth it.
            Yeah mine was on a very limited budget and i think i did pretty good for the money I have in mine. Must be nice to say "unlimited budget", I would redo mine in a heart beat.

I do have a question for you though, my trunk has not been touched. It still has rust holes and everything (part of the out of money thing). What did you do inside the trunk on this one? paint it? Roll on spray in bed liner material?

Comment

Yeah mine was on a very limited budget and i think i did pretty good for the money I have in mine. Must be nice to say "unlimited budget", I would redo mine in a heart beat.

I do have a question for you though, my trunk has not been touched. It still has rust holes and everything (part of the out of money thing). What did you do inside the trunk on this one? paint it? Roll on spray in bed liner material?
              First I blasted it, but there wasn't much rust. Then I hit it with some self etch primer, then some SEM hot rod black epoxy. I LOVE the SEM stuff, but it was close to $80 a quart. I did the same process on the engine compartment.

I'll get some pics of the trunk up this weekend.

Then I layed some Dynomat and the traditional trunk layment (checkered stuff) and that's it. Honestly just clean it and shoot it with some really good epoxy, then lay your sound deadber and carpet or whatever.

I sprayed that SEM epoxy on everything. It's some really good shit. Stands up to all kinds of abuse. If you see the pics it's on all the suspension, rear end, and gas tank. The only place we went cheap was on the undercarriage. We used hammerite rust cap from ACE hardware. Drys to a glass like surface, tough as shit, and easy to touch up. We used it on the floors as well. It was ultra cheap and works perfectly.

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Sex on wheels..

Comment

First I blasted it, but there wasn't much rust. Then I hit it with some self etch primer, then some SEM hot rod black epoxy. I LOVE the SEM stuff, but it was close to $80 a quart. I did the same process on the engine compartment.

I'll get some pics of the trunk up this weekend.

Then I layed some Dynomat and the traditional trunk layment (checkered stuff) and that's it. Honestly just clean it and shoot it with some really good epoxy, then lay your sound deadber and carpet or whatever.

I sprayed that SEM epoxy on everything. It's some really good shit. Stands up to all kinds of abuse. If you see the pics it's on all the suspension, rear end, and gas tank. The only place we went cheap was on the undercarriage. We used hammerite rust cap from ACE hardware. Drys to a glass like surface, tough as shit, and easy to touch up. We used it on the floors as well. It was ultra cheap and works perfectly.

Sweet pics would be awesome thanks.

Could you do a trunk with 1 quart?

Once again you did great work on this car.

Comment

Great job. I'm sure it will get many more years of use.

Comment

Very nice job!
                        sigpic

Comment

Sweet pics would be awesome thanks.

Could you do a trunk with 1 quart?

Once again you did great work on this car.
                          Oh yeah, several coats and then some. IIRC Its a 3 part epoxy, and it comes as a kit. In other words there's a quart of paint, and a half pint of catalyst and a half pint of reducer in one box. You mix it 4:1:1 and spray. It's good stuff. You can even mix it for a satin look or high gloss. I did everything on the car with 3 kits. I know people have painted their entire car with the stuff, comes in several colors.

Someone might correct my info because I'm fairly new to painting but it was easy to use and worked perfectly for the semi-gloss look I wanted.

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                          Great job. I'm sure it will get many more years of use.
                          Thanks, and oh yes, it has been added to his Will already. It will be passed down the family to his daughter.

Comment

Great Job! What did you think about north texas custom's? I've thought about using them on my fastback.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryJ View Post
                              Great Job! What did you think about north texas custom's? I've thought about using them on my fastback.
                              Top notch work. They had their hands full with us, having to transport and paint the shell, and fit panels months later. We saw an inconsistency in the paint near completion that was easily overlooked, but a nightmare to correct. Fixed it up perfect without question, and their turn around was impressive. Tyler, his brother, and Eddie are good hard working folks and I'll recommend them to anyone. They work on anything, and their shop proves it, but they have plenty of experience with classic mustangs. They love this car as much as I do.

Comment

Oh yeah, several coats and then some. IIRC Its a 3 part epoxy, and it comes as a kit. In other words there's a quart of paint, and a half pint of catalyst and a half pint of reducer in one box. You mix it 4:1:1 and spray. It's good stuff. You can even mix it for a satin look or high gloss. I did everything on the car with 3 kits. I know people have painted their entire car with the stuff, comes in several colors.

Someone might correct my info because I'm fairly new to painting but it was easy to use and worked perfectly for the semi-gloss look I wanted.
                                Thanks for the info and I look forward to seeing the pics.

And once again great work.

Comment

Working...
                                X