Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJ View Post
    check the oil for coolant.

Northstars don't normally mix coolant / oil in a bad headgasket situation. They can, just not normally.

Comment

Well thanks again for the info. Damn shame to scrap a decent car over this issue, but it's kind of all or nothing. We might attempt if he's really attached to his thousand-dollar boat anchor.

Comment

The repair will cost more than the car is worth.most likely. As stated above, they have notorious head gasket problems, the head bolts have a locking compound that will take the threads put of the block when you remove them. I looked at buying a really clean 60k mile deville with the same symptoms as yours, confirmed the gaskets leak using a cooling system combustion gas detector and investigated onto the cost of repairs. The offer I would have to of made was so low to make the car resellable at a profit, that I opted out of the deal as to not upset my customer. The repair cost were going to be near the vehicle value when I figured in what my time was worth.

Comment

another quad cam POS!

Comment

I just helped an elderly neighbor get rid of hers... very nice car, new tires, almost pristine condition, except for the Northstar puking coolant and overheating.

Musser Motors in Terrell offered $300.00 trade on it... which was an insult to her and me as well. Ending up trading it in to Henry Lewis Chevrolet in Canton on a 2011 Malibu. She loves the new car and is happy to be rid of the Northstar Dinosaur. (I think the allowed her about $1200.00 on trade value)

Her old car would make somebody(with some mechanical skills) and excellent Donk-a-licious ride... but it's just not cost effective to have a dealer fix 'em at 125.00 per hour labor charge.

Good luck.

mardyn

Comment

I'm sure they just absorbed that trade value into the amount financed. Lets hope they didn't screw her.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

No financing, straight cash deal.

I'm sure they figured they could use some liquid glass and stop the leaks long enough to get it through a salvage auction for a few bucks profit.

The car looked good and ran great... just had to keep putting coolant in it about every two or three days.

mardyn

Comment

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
                  No financing, straight cash deal.

I'm sure they figured they could use some liquid glass and stop the leaks long enough to get it through a salvage auction for a few bucks profit.

The car looked good and ran great... just had to keep putting coolant in it about every two or three days.

mardyn
                  bet they will send it to the regular dealer auction. I have a good friend that is a dealer, and I got to auctions with him occationally to help him check out cars. Some of them knock, smoke, etc and are marked trade in.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                    bet they will send it to the regular dealer auction. I have a good friend that is a dealer, and I got to auctions with him occationally to help him check out cars. Some of them knock, smoke, etc and are marked trade in.
                    As little as that thing is worth it's probably just going to go to whatever auction they do their business with primarily. Like you said even at Manheim we have POS's run the lanes. I ran a '03 discovery there with a head gasket problem, got $2k for it. They do a pretty intricate inspection and very rarely does one slip by them. It'll run with a notice about head gasket or engine problems I'm sure. It's a great place to pickup some damaged cars that need work if you have a dealer license.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

As little as that thing is worth it's probably just going to go to whatever auction they do their business with primarily. Like you said even at Manheim we have POS's run the lanes. I ran a '03 discovery there with a head gasket problem, got $2k for it. They do a pretty intricate inspection and very rarely does one slip by them. It'll run with a notice about head gasket or engine problems I'm sure. It's a great place to pickup some damaged cars that need work if you have a dealer license.
                      yeah, the manhiems are a different story. Its the lakesides and heart of texas that one like this would get through.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

yeah, the manhiems are a different story. Its the lakesides and heart of texas that one like this would get through.
                        I've never run at either of those, which is probably why that's the right place to run them. America's auto auction is about as seedy as I get. The trick if you're a buyer is to frequent the "wrong" auctions for the type of cars you want. When a head gasket car shows up at Manheim, most all of your bidders are high volume franchise dealers, they don't have any interest in those types of cars so they usually sell with little competition. That's where I would look, you just can't be picky.

Comment

I've never run at either of those, which is probably why that's the right place to run them. America's auto auction is about as seedy as I get. The trick if you're a buyer is to frequent the "wrong" auctions for the type of cars you want. When a head gasket car shows up at Manheim, most all of your bidders are high volume franchise dealers, they don't have any interest in those types of cars so they usually sell with little competition. That's where I would look, you just can't be picky.
                          I wouldnt call it seedy, just smaller and they run at night.

A ton of the note lots go there for the dealer trades and repos.

Comment

Yeah, no leaks or drips, & very minor steam out the exhaust, they could have topped off the coolant tank with water and it was good to go for a few days. They could have easily run it at a conventional auction with an engine disclaimer (or not)...

I just know my neighbor was glad to get away from it.

mardyn

Comment

I wouldnt call it seedy, just smaller and they run at night.

A ton of the note lots go there for the dealer trades and repos.
                              Yeah I don't want the note lots bidding on my units or I usually get screwed. But on some higher mileage units that is where I send them. Most of what I sell is low mileage high line units, which is best suited for manheim. I send cars to AAA if I don't want things stolen out of them and stripped

Comment

Yeah I don't want the note lots bidding on my units or I usually get screwed. But on some higher mileage units that is where I send them. Most of what I sell is low mileage high line units, which is best suited for manheim. I send cars to AAA if I don't want things stolen out of them and stripped
                                You have got to be kidding me. Note lots will spend more than blue book if they want it, because they will be able to get a ton for it with financing. We get beat out constantly on good cars that go for stupid money, especially with all the note lots out of killeen.

Comment

Working...
                                X