Salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salmon

Anyone here love salmon? I've been grilling salmon for a while now and while I like it, I was never excited to eat it. For the longest time I'd grill it on the lower grate, closest to the fire. On top of that, I always bought frozen, individually sealed filets so I'd have it available anytime.

Well Sam's sells whole salmon filets, fresh, not frozen. Figured I'd try it. One night I had the idea to grill it on the top rack with all three burners on low. Sprinkle some lemon pepper seasoning on it and take it off just when the oils start to ooze out.

Holy shit This shit melts in your mouth. Juicy AF. I can literally eat it by itself.

If you've been eating frozen salmon, try the fresh filets. The only downside is that you have to eat it within a few days of buying it before it goes bad. Not a problem for me since my wife and daughter likes it too. I've tried freezing it but doing that changes the way it cooks when you thaw it out so I just make sure to grill it all before then.

I googled a bourbon glaze but it wasn't too good. Cheddar's offers a bourbon glazed salmon that is awesome so I need to keep looking for copy cat recipes.

Anyway, lame post about salmon

I've always loved salmon and also grill it. I don't think we've ever had frozen though. Usually fresh from Costco. We stuck with the cedar planks at first, but now throw it right on the grill. Leah makes a pretty awesome marinade or brine, or whatever you call it for fish. Soy sauce based I believe, with brown sugar and some other stuff. I'm not usually a fan of sauces and shit on salmon, but this stuff is definitely the bomb..

I cook it very much like steak. High heat (which is like 500* on my cheap gas grill), when stuff starts oozing from the top, flip it. Feel test for done, when somewhat firm (I use the finger firmness test that you use for steak, based on medium rare). Depending on the thickness it's usually about 10-12 minutes on my grill.

Comment

I love Salmon but had hell with it on the grill, I cook it in a pan now.
      Costco Wild Caught
      Thaw in room temp water, open packaging, rinse, then throughly dry with a paper towel.
      Blacken the non skin side
      Avocado oil in a pan on high heat, as high as I can get it w/o it smoking, drop the Salmon in blackened side down for 2-3 mins, flip and cook skin side for 2 mins.
      Very simple and delicious.
      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

I made some the other night grilled on my BGE and it was excellent, fresh from Kroger.

I've also made it with this recipe and it's great! https://www.walnuts.org/cooking-with...almon-fillets/
        Originally posted by stevo
        Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Pick up some copper river whenever it is available!

I typically do it in a foil pack on the grill. Drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle with herbs and spices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by Leah
          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
            I love Salmon but had hell with it on the grill, I cook it in a pan now.
            Costco Wild Caught
            Thaw in room temp water, open packaging, rinse, then throughly dry with a paper towel.
            Blacken the non skin side
            Avocado oil in a pan on high heat, as high as I can get it w/o it smoking, drop the Salmon in blackened side down for 2-3 mins, flip and cook skin side for 2 mins.
            Very simple and delicious.
            I did some copper river a couple years back on a charcoal grill, put it in a cast iron skillet and put it on the grill. Worked great.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

usually cast iron on the stove but if i grill, i grill on cedar planks

Comment

I don't eat salmon. Too much risk very little reward. It might taste good but it's not worth getting salmonella poisoning.

Comment

less is more with my salmon. salt, pepper, and a lemon slice or two, on the grill, upper rack and wrapped in foil. low heat and cook til it begins to flake.
                  THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by craizie View Post
                    i don't eat salmon. Too much risk very little reward. It might taste good but it's not worth getting salmonella poisoning.
                    lol
                    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                    86 SVO - Sold
                    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
                      less is more with my salmon. salt, pepper, and a lemon slice or two, on the grill, upper rack and wrapped in foil. low heat and cook til it begins to flake.
                      free range, hormone free, gluten free, farm to table, vegan salmon.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                        I don't eat salmon. Too much risk very little reward. It might taste good but it's not worth getting salmonella poisoning.
                        Agreed, medium rare chicken is the way to go.
                        Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                          free range, hormone free, gluten free, farm to table, vegan salmon.
                          obviously male hormone free, plenty of bitch hormones in his salmon!

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                            Agreed, medium rare chicken is the way to go.
                            Damn. Now I'm hungry.

Comment

I buy the Costco filets. I just throw on some olive oil & Meat Church Deez Nutz then slap it on a soaked cedar plank. I cook it on the BGE direct @ 425. I don't flip, just let it cook for 15-20 minutes or so & pull it off when the fat's coming through.
                              DamonH

Comment

Working...
                              X