No announcement yet.

Bathroom remodels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not terribly uncommon.. if they're carpenter ants you may have bigger problems

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
      Not terribly uncommon.. if they're carpenter ants you may have bigger problems
      I had them when I moved in. I wrecked their ass with attic fog, then hit the soffits with it. Spot treatments do not work. That was 6 years ago or so and I still have no bugs. Thousands of those big bastards came out and died. Along with spiders, and anything else. I still get a the occasional termites by the pond but I keep it treated. Sucks living by a creek. I thought about doing metal 2x4's and the interior walls in concrete board since the entire exterior of the house is that where it is not brick.

I had a pile of sand under my tub, but no ants. Maybe in the past sometime.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Derppp, after reading 150 articles on this and that, I realized the sand under my tub was most likely bedding. It is slowly chugging along. Need to drop my electrical, pull off a tad more sheet rock, and then it is assembly time. I did reconfigure all the plumbing and put in new fittings and valves. I put down some water yesterday and went to town with a diamond blade! Not a lot of dust and worked fairly well. It did sling that shit everywhere under two inches. I have pondered stain, vinyl, and ceramic. Gonna be a last minute decision. They make a good point on Vinyl and new trends every three years, plus the stuff looks incredibly real these days. Plus if I hate it, it cost me 50 bucks and way easier to yank than ceramic. I may give it a go.

Last edited by kingjason; 03-11-2018, 08:00 AM.
        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

You know this mother fucker had ONE job! I mean it makes sense why the other drain just fell out, it was being forced up against the concrete. I suspected this but today confirmed it. This tub is an inch or two shorter than the last one and after I used a big chisel and drill to widen my hole a bit it dropped in fairly easily. I figured with a Jacuzzi tub in the master anyone buying the house with kids would appreciate a shorter one. I am not a kid person, and may never sell the house, but meh, maybe one day.

Last edited by kingjason; 03-14-2018, 07:27 PM.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

We started redoing our main bathroom last weekend. Our tub area is set in just like yours. I pulled out the tub and took the walls down to studs Sunday / Monday. Tuesday we had plumbers come in and set the new tub, adjust the plumbing, and add a shower head (high) up on the wall. It just had the line coming off the tub faucet before.

Today we're going to redo the floor (same Allure vinyl planking, just have to redo it because of the new tub footprint and to fix my previously poor install around the toilet). Then the cement board goes up, and tile on all three walls up to the ceiling.

Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
              We started redoing our main bathroom last weekend. Our tub area is set in just like yours. I pulled out the tub and took the walls down to studs Sunday / Monday. Tuesday we had plumbers come in and set the new tub, adjust the plumbing, and add a shower head (high) up on the wall. It just had the line coming off the tub faucet before.

Today we're going to redo the floor (same Allure vinyl planking, just have to redo it because of the new tub footprint and to fix my previously poor install around the toilet). Then the cement board goes up, and tile on all three walls up to the ceiling.

Good times.
              That is porcelain or something. When my wife made the crack about putting wheels on the house, I said oh WTH. 80 bucks or so for 30 pieces. I was going to hang some sheet rock today but my lower back told me to take a day off. I am in no hurry. Almost moped the floor again, dropped in shiter with bidet, and cabinet since it is all ready now, then take a month off.
              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Man, the floor kicked my butt today, mainly because I was making a lot of very intricate cuts. Then, to top off the day right, I broke the fucking toilet when I was reinstalling it. Tightened the flange one turn too many. We weren't planning on a new toilet but looks like that is now the first thing to do tomorrow.

No bidet or heated seats though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                  Man, the floor kicked my butt today, mainly because I was making a lot of very intricate cuts. Then, to top off the day right, I broke the fucking toilet when I was reinstalling it. Tightened the flange one turn too many. We weren't planning on a new toilet but looks like that is now the first thing to do tomorrow.

No bidet or heated seats though.
                  Don't fight it.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Avoid the kohler 2 stage toilets... I put a Cimarron in a few months ago and it is annoying to flush fully. If you don't stand there and hold the handle down, if won't fully flush away pee.

I will vouch for the American standard champion 4 series. No complaints from that one!

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                      Avoid the kohler 2 stage toilets... I put a Cimarron in a few months ago and it is annoying to flush fully. If you don't stand there and hold the handle down, if won't fully flush away pee.

I will vouch for the American standard champion 4 series. No complaints from that one!
                      Dammit, I think that is what I got. I didn't fully research or I would have bought a Toto toilet also. Maybe I will throw this on in the master. It gets used less usually.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post

I don't recall what we put in the master bath but it may be that, because you do have to stand and hold the lever for it to flush fully. It is a PITA but I'll admit, I'm used to it now and it doesn't really bother me.

On the plus side, is if it's just piss, a quick flush actually works sufficiently and only uses a portion of the tank water.

Edit to add: NM, it's a Glacier Bay in the master, Home Depot brand. Dual flush though. I wonder if just swapping out the internals would 'correct' the issue..
                        Last edited by Chili; 03-16-2018, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I will see how it works. They talk about adjusting the valve in the back to fix those issues on the models they had before. I think I may have eyeballed reviews on this one though.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

If y'all are having to mess w toilets a bunch check out the sani seal brand gaskets. It's nice in that it's reusable and if you stab the toilet wrong you don't have to tear it off and replace.

Comment

No problems with the wax ring setup after probably 5 times of installing toilets, broken flange notwithstanding. Got the new toilet installed yesterday.

It's another Home Depot Glacier Bay. It looks like the way they accomplish the dual flush is a separate water chamber built onto the flapper (looks like a big bubble underneath) so I'm sure I can change it out to eliminate the issue if I wanted. But honestly, I probably won't. I'm used to it now.

Nice high seat, elongated toilet though. Nicer than the one it replaced.

Comment

Sheet rock up on this side. Backer board time next week. I mean for my first time....... Yesterday I decided to tackle the leak in the master. Luckily they still make all the cartridges. I will say this, holy shit my water pressure will blast you out now. I guess the old stuff was clogged up. Oh and the super duper ultra filter for my shop vac is a winner at cleaning shit up. Did I tell you, not a straight wall in the house!

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                                X