Interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
    How much is it for a redo of the originals? My bench needs redone and i have no idea of general cost.
    A bench seat? Redo it yourself! Hog rings, and hog ring pliers. The hog rings are the only thing holding the factory cover on the seat, I'm sure.

And you can just buy a new cover to replace it. The hog rings are easy to deal with, but make sure you get a set of the hog ring pliers. Its too easy to pay someone else to do it for you.
    WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
      A bench seat? Redo it yourself! Hog rings, and hog ring pliers. The hog rings are the only thing holding the factory cover on the seat, I'm sure.

And you can just buy a new cover to replace it. The hog rings are easy to deal with, but make sure you get a set of the hog ring pliers. Its too easy to pay someone else to do it for you.
      Have you ever recovered seats?

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
        Have you ever recovered seats?
        Yes. A bench seat only, not buckets. Those are a bit of a bitch. I have assisted with recovering buckets, but I don't sew.
        WH

Comment

Yes. A bench seat only, not buckets. Those are a bit of a bitch. I have assisted with recovering buckets, but I don't sew.
          It all depends on the condition of the foam. If it's deteriorated you will want to replace it too. That is where the work is. Fitting the foam.

Comment

True. But sometimes you get lucky and the foam is fine.

You can also get semi lucky, and only end up having to use a 1/2" thick piece of foam over the old foam. Sometimes only 1/4" thick will work fine. That strong pink 3M foam glue works great to glue the new foam to the old foam.

Then you can get unlucky, and the old foam needs replaced. That'll be some work, but its not outside most peoples' ability. A youtube vid or two and you'll see that its a fairly simple process, if somewhat laborious. I'm just saying you can save a fair chunk of change doing it yourself. They told me $300 for the bench seat in my chevy, I said no thanks and did it myself. Done it to two bench seats so far. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again, if need be.
            WH

Comment

True. But sometimes you get lucky and the foam is fine.

You can also get semi lucky, and only end up having to use a 1/2" thick piece of foam over the old foam. Sometimes only 1/4" thick will work fine. That strong pink 3M foam glue works great to glue the new foam to the old foam.

Then you can get unlucky, and the old foam needs replaced. That'll be some work, but its not outside most peoples' ability. A youtube vid or two and you'll see that its a fairly simple process, if somewhat laborious. I'm just saying you can save a fair chunk of change doing it yourself. They told me $300 for the bench seat in my chevy, I said no thanks and did it myself. Done it to two bench seats so far. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again, if need be.
              Seriously quit already. He has new seats that are better than stock, lighter, bolstered, safer... if he wanted to redo the stockers he would've handled it. Pre cut foam, vinyl covers and anything else needed is available for the seats in that car. There's no need to get on youtube to look up anything, or look for foam pieces to add in to his rotted out factory foam.

Comment

Seriously quit already. He has new seats that are better than stock, lighter, bolstered, safer... if he wanted to redo the stockers he would've handled it. Pre cut foam, vinyl covers and anything else needed is available for the seats in that car. There's no need to get on youtube to look up anything, or look for foam pieces to add in to his rotted out factory foam.
                no no no... his talent stops at replacing floor pans. He cannot replace foam as there's no welding involved. Try to keep up man.
                Originally posted by stevo
                Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

I actually bought all that too a long while ago. Hog ring pliers, new foam and new vinyl upholstery. I will recover the seats when I have time and store them along with the original engine, gauge cluster and several other things.
                  Drivers seat was the only seat ever really used since my great grandfather bought the car when he was 58 years old. Not like kids were bouncing around all over.
                  These seats were appealing to me because a friend bought a set for his 66 and he couldn't stop raving about how much more support they had and much more comfortable.

Comment

and they recline!
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Annnd read his post below yours.
                      WH

Comment

So update on the seats:
                        I had intended on using the factory Ford seat sliders so I modified them to attach and installed into the car. Bottom line...they were too tall. My head nearly touched the roof. No bueno. Also the seat in the rear most position was still too far forward.
                        So I stared at it for a while and.came up with this.

Cut the seat pan out. Welded up some brackets to fit the pro car sliders. Welded nuts onto the brackets since they would be not accessible.

Then for structural strength I bolted the brackets thus the pan with 1/8th inch flat stock underneath.

Next I needed the seat pan back in because it is necessary for the uni body strength. I cut just over an inch of height out and modified the brace to fit under the new height.

Lots of fitting and welding to make it look factory.

Have to look close to see the actual mounts.

Comment

So I spent Saturday installing Eastwood heat/sound barrier in my car along with the factory underlayment and new carpet. It was a job. The carpet really sucked.

Comment

Then a little test drive after. Huge difference.

Comment

Working...
                            X