DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Food

Food Future Poop

Old 10-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
stevo
Lifer

Location: it's your shit-kickin' speed-takin' truck-drivin' neighbors down stairs
Default home brewing

Does anyone here do home brewing? I have in the past made a batches of home made wine, five gallons at a time, but have decided to brew some beer along with wine this year. I expect to start 10 gallons of wine along with 5-10 gallons of beer this weekend.

Stevo
stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
ELVIS
Disturbingly Handsome

some dude my old lady works with does, man it is good stuff. he brews all kinds of different flavors and such. i dont drink at home, or i could see it becoming another of my hellaciously expensive hobbies.

god bless.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
Geor!
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
some dude my old lady works with does, man it is good stuff. he brews all kinds of different flavors and such. i dont drink at home, or i could see it becoming another of my hellaciously expensive hobbies.

god bless.
You should see if he can make something like that grape shit we drank up.

Geor! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Mike
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geofster View Post
You should see if he can make something like that grape shit we drank up.
I've got some "grape shit" you can swallow.

-----------------------------------------------------

I've never tried home brewing. But I remember several threads about it back in Canada.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
forbes
Serving Time

do spirits.... what real men drink
forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
stevo
Lifer

Location: it's your shit-kickin' speed-takin' truck-drivin' neighbors down stairs

I think I am going to go the usual grape recipe on one batch, and try a hard apple cider on the other batch.

Stevo
Old 10-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
krazy kris
Lifer

I have a still and old bathtub in the backyard.
What do you need?
krazy kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
Blackout
Internet 1%er

i use to home brew my own beer. i might start doing it again soon. nice thing is after one is done you can start on another and by the time you drink all the beer from the first the next ones done.lol. my brew made around 50 bottles of beer. good shit too.
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
stevo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
i use to home brew my own beer. i might start doing it again soon. nice thing is after one is done you can start on another and by the time you drink all the beer from the first the next ones done.lol. my brew made around 50 bottles of beer. good shit too.
I have two and a half gallons of beer going now. I will be bottling it Monday if all goes well.

I think I am going to get brave and use some hard hitting champagne yeast, and go for the 18% alcohol limit on it. Decided against the apfelwein, I am going to do another red grape wine and try a banana-oat brew. No guts no glory.

Stevo
Old 10-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
stevo
Lifer

Banana-oat beer is out of the question, I didn't even think of the slimey, bubble retaining nature of those two, and fermenting equals thousands of tiny bubbles per minute. Possible Mt. Vesuvius situation.

Stevo
Old 10-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #11
Cobraman
Fo Fi Six

Hooray for yeast, sugar, fruit concentrate, milk jug, and balloon. Lol
Cobraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #12
V8tt
Lifer

My brother brews and has won all kinds of awards and even holds a few patents on microbreweries. He is cool as shit and if you have any questions at all he is always more than happy to share knowledge.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...ers-brutus-ten

http://www.alenuts.com/Alenuts/Alenuts.html
V8tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #13
stevo
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobraman View Post
Hooray for yeast, sugar, fruit concentrate, milk jug, and balloon. Lol
Holy shit, I ain't making 'pruno'.

More like Lalvin EC-1118 yeast, sugar, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, fresh fruit, 5 gallon glass carboy, and an airlock. I am going to make a single gallon of jalapeno pepper wine though...

Stevo
Old 11-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #14
BP
infidel

Since we are reviving old threads lately I figured I'd help out instead of starting a new one.

I've been involved with a large local brewery for years and have many friends that home brew and a few that talked about doing it but never have. So on Saturday I stopped by Texas Brewing (owned by someone from the old board btw) and picked up their deluxe kit. It comes with pretty much everything you'd need to make beer. Assuming you have water and propane tanks that is. The smaller kits are even cheaper so if you already have a large enough pot to boil in and the means to heat it up you can do it really cheap.

So long story short I have a full brewery at my home now complete with a temperature controlled freezer for fermenting. My first beer has been fermenting for 48 hours now and I'm already planning my next two. The current one is Stubby's Outlaw Red IPA, next up is his Coffee Bean Stout that I'll probably do on Thanksgiving and sometime in the next week I plan on starting on a Graf that'll be a from scratch recipe instead of out of a box. It's basically just a hard cider mixed with some kind of dark malted beer with a little bit of hops.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #15
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member

This is something I should get into. My neighbor has been itching to do it.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:31 PM   #16
BradM
Bad Santa

I miss stevo. I think he must have died.
BradM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:13 PM   #17
LS1Goat
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
I miss stevo. I think he must have died.
I myself and Mike(did a little research a while back he when dropped off for a long period of time)

All of the activity on the other boards that he belonged to all stopped around the same time. Over the years I think I heard him mention he was a diabetic and a big guy. If I am wrong, then my my apologies. He went from being fairly active to no activity, so something is a miss.
LS1Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:35 AM   #18
BP
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
This is something I should get into. My neighbor has been itching to do it.
It's really not that hard to do. Controlling the water temperature when steeping my grains was the worst part for me but only because the burner I have is ridiculously over powered. I plan on using my immersion circulator for that on the next batch. That and I'm kegging mine, bottling makes it a little more complicated.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote