1969 Mustang Coupe build/restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 76 Maverick View Post
    Looking good! Glad to see you got a build thread going.
    When are you starting your thread?

Comment

Looks like a solid start, I need to make progress on mine
      Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Got a little work done on the rear end today. Tack welded the perches in place. Rough pinion angle set 2 degrees down and 43.125" apart.
        I also lucked out and found that Currie enterprises is now making leaf spring plates for this swap so I ordered a set from summit.

Comment

Awesome thread. A lot of the same things i want to do to my 70 coupe
          2007 Silverado CC
          1970 Mustang Coupe

True Street Motorsports. 972-542-9886

Comment

Originally posted by lilvega View Post
            Got a little work done on the rear end today. Tack welded the perches in place. Rough pinion angle set 2 degrees down and 43.125" apart.
            I also lucked out and found that Currie enterprises is now making leaf spring plates for this swap so I ordered a set from summit.

tubes larger?
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
              tubes larger?
              Explorer tubes are 3.25".

Oh, and the build is looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
                Explorer tubes are 3.25".

Oh, and the build is looking good.
                never thought about the explorer tubes being larger. The SN95 axle I used just needed perches welded on, and all the u-bolts and mounting hardware were reused.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

On all the Explorer swaps I have done, I reuse the perches if can, ubolts and plates with the shock tabs boxed in to reuse the Mustang shocks.

Makes the whole thing a $30 swap + shop supplies.

Comment

On all the Explorer swaps I have done, I reuse the perches if can, ubolts and plates with the shock tabs boxed in to reuse the Mustang shocks.

Makes the whole thing a $30 swap + shop supplies.
                    I guess I really dont understand the fascination with the explorer rear end.

Comment

For me, price. The main differences are 31 spline axles, gear ratios from 2.73 to 4:10 and everything in between, and the parking brake is a shoe inside the disc.

Comment

Disc brakes, 31 spline, and trak lock not good enough for you?

So far it isn't good enough for me, but I haven't destroyed mine up yet.

Comment

For me, price. The main differences are 31 spline axles, gear ratios from 2.73 to 4:10 and everything in between, and the parking brake is a shoe inside the disc.
                          Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                          Disc brakes, 31 spline, and trak lock not good enough for you?

So far it isn't good enough for me, but I haven't destroyed mine up yet.
                          8.8 gears are 8.8 gears. It's cool that most came with 3.73's or 4.10's.

I bought my sn95 rear used with gears already in it for $100. Cut the brackets off, welded perches on, bolted it in, and attached the parking brake cables that came with it. Done.

No, I really dont care about 31 spline axles because I dont need them. Traction lock is there, same thing as the explorers. I didnt have to buy new ubolts, shorten a housing, buy a separate shorter axle shaft, etc.

Just seems like a lot of work, time and money for a heavier rear end, just to gain 31 splines (that could be swapped into the mustang housing at the same time as gears...

Comment

The 8" is 2.75 dia. The Explorer 8.8 is 3.25 dia.

Comment

8.8 gears are 8.8 gears. It's cool that most came with 3.73's or 4.10's.

I bought my sn95 rear used with gears already in it for $100. Cut the brackets off, welded perches on, bolted it in, and attached the parking brake cables that came with it. Done.

No, I really dont care about 31 spline axles because I dont need them. Traction lock is there, same thing as the explorers. I didnt have to buy new ubolts, shorten a housing, buy a separate shorter axle shaft, etc.

Just seems like a lot of work, time and money for a heavier rear end, just to gain 31 splines (that could be swapped into the mustang housing at the same time as gears...
                              I couldn't find a sn95 rear end for under $600 when I was looking. Found 2 for $250 each but they were missing 100% of the brake components and when I priced the parts it was over $300. Just wasn't worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by lilvega View Post
                                I couldn't find a sn95 rear end for under $600 when I was looking. Found 2 for $250 each but they were missing 100% of the brake components and when I priced the parts it was over $300. Just wasn't worth it.
                                Makes sense on a 69+ car, though the pinion is mighty close to the floor when you are done. I was more directing my comments to the 65-68 guys.

Sorry to jumble up your thread. We'll have to plan a classic meet up when we get ours done.

Comment

Working...
                                X