Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Switchblade" law repealed... What to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The blade lock on mine is super damn solid. No getting around it. It's not visible ont those pics but it works.

Jose, that's a cool knife! But keep in mind benchmade won't sharpen the serrated part of you send it back for their lifetime sharpening
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

I'll take my Kershaw with speed safe. Deploys quickly and won't open in your pocket.
      2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
        Ok I am going to be the safety guy and bitch about switch blades for a minute. Just remember fellas, these bastard will randomly open in your jacket pocket, not only ripping out your pocket but slicing you in the side also. If handed to one of your "lowest common denominator " friends, there is a good chance it will go through their hand, watch , wrist or other pliable object in range. They are cool though, but dangerous. I watched a guy recently pop one open and bust the shit out of his watch. We all laughed pretty damn hard but there is some liability with these.
        I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
        The blade lock on mine is super damn solid. No getting around it. It's not visible ont those pics but it works.

Jose, that's a cool knife! But keep in mind benchmade won't sharpen the serrated part of you send it back for their lifetime sharpening
        Good to know. I'm fine sharpening serrations but it's nice to have that option available to me. I'll have to think about that.

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
        I'll take my Kershaw with speed safe. Deploys quickly and won't open in your pocket.
        My Spyderco and Emerson knives with the Wave feature deploy a lot quicker but there's definitely something cool about having an auto.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
          I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not
          I have seen many things in my lifetime sir! Just call it a funny public safety announcement.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

so i only browsed the thread, but i'm a bit perplexed. I see a bunch of spring assisted opening knives, are these considered "switchblades"??

I carry an inexpensive gerber spring assist every day, never had it open in my pocket, the lock engagement is crisp and secure.

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
              so i only browsed the thread, but i'm a bit perplexed. I see a bunch of spring assisted opening knives, are these considered "switchblades"??

I carry an inexpensive gerber spring assist every day, never had it open in my pocket, the lock engagement is crisp and secure.
              I have seen many over the years that just had a simple push button. One wrong move and swoosh!
              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Thought I would post this here.

Since I'm doing some traveling to Louisiana and New Mexico this month I thought I would refresh my memory on their CHL reciprocity laws as well as their laws on Auto Knifes. Looks like I'm good for both states as far as my CHL is concerned but a no go on carrying my Spyderco Cithadel

Comment

Bored and looking up old threads and came across this one.

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                  Ok I am going to be the safety guy and bitch about switch blades for a minute. Just remember fellas, these bastard will randomly open in your jacket pocket, not only ripping out your pocket but slicing you in the side also. If handed to one of your "lowest common denominator " friends, there is a good chance it will go through their hand, watch , wrist or other pliable object in range. They are cool though, but dangerous. I watched a guy recently pop one open and bust the shit out of his watch. We all laughed pretty damn hard but there is some liability with these.
                  So three years since this was last updated and I have two Autos, a Benchmade and a Spyderco. I have yet to have one accidentally open on me. I actually got cut by my Spyderco PM2 (folder) while pulling it out of my pocket earlier in the year. So first blood went to an ordinary folder while Auto's have yet to draw anything from me

I'll have to update this later with pictures of the two I own. Buddy of mine has an Infidel, I think that is next on my list.

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post

The difference between a spring assisted and an "auto" is that the auto is opened by a button while a spring assisted is "assisted" by the action of opening the blade. Hope that makes sense.

Comment

I had my M&P autos open on me in my pocket even with the safety..weird failure but overall good knives. Now carrying a Kershaw Auto that is quite nice. Wife bought me a 7" folding Kukri for Xmas last year but I need to look into the recent law changes that may allow it to be carried now. Fucker is sharp as fuck though. Doubt she spent very much on it but it's a goofy sort of knife to have on my desk!

Comment

My kershaw auto opened on my pocket and cut my finger. I wont carry another push button auto

Comment

Buy something with a quality switch design. My benchmade nor any of my microtech OTF's have opened on me in my pocket and they are designed to not extend to lock if the blade meets resistance on the way out anyways. Use them every day.

Comment

I bought a 30 dollar auto-knife at the Dallas gun show about a year ago that I use almost daily at work and around the house...I sharpened the blade a couple months ago and discovered by accident that its a sharp sumbitch...OUCH!!! I'd love to have one of the nice high dollar knives that I've seen..but for my purposes this little 30 dollar auto works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                            Bored and looking up old threads and came across this one.

So three years since this was last updated and I have two Autos, a Benchmade and a Spyderco. I have yet to have one accidentally open on me. I actually got cut by my Spyderco PM2 (folder) while pulling it out of my pocket earlier in the year. So first blood went to an ordinary folder while Auto's have yet to draw anything from me

I'll have to update this later with pictures of the two I own. Buddy of mine has an Infidel, I think that is next on my list.

The difference between a spring assisted and an "auto" is that the auto is opened by a button while a spring assisted is "assisted" by the action of opening the blade. Hope that makes sense.
                            The infidel isn't a bad knife, I've got one and carry it regularly though I'll say this, overall, I like my microtechs more. Built in glass breaker on the OTF's, tons of blade profiles, colors and sizes to choose from and a warranty that can't be beat. I'd look at the ultratech, they can be had around 260.

It doesn't hurt that in researching a 10 year old knife I had the owner of the company chatting with me after business hours on a week night to confirm it as authentic. That's some damn service.

www.thehollowgrind.com has a good selection, they also do layaway on every knife they sell from $200 dollar entry level microtechs to $3,000 dollar marfione customs.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatass View Post
                              Buy something with a quality switch design. My benchmade nor any of my microtech OTF's have opened on me in my pocket and they are designed to not extend to lock if the blade meets resistance on the way out anyways. Use them every day.
                              Agreed.

Originally posted by Fatass View Post
                              The infidel isn't a bad knife, I've got one and carry it regularly though I'll say this, overall, I like my microtechs more. Built in glass breaker on the OTF's, tons of blade profiles, colors and sizes to choose from and a warranty that can't be beat. I'd look at the ultratech, they can be had around 260.

It doesn't hurt that in researching a 10 year old knife I had the owner of the company chatting with me after business hours on a week night to confirm it as authentic. That's some damn service.

www.thehollowgrind.com has a good selection, they also do layaway on every knife they sell from $200 dollar entry level microtechs to $3,000 dollar marfione customs.
                              Thanks for the insight and the link. I think I'm wanting the Infidel because it's something I've lusted after for quite some time. I've heard nothing but good things about the Microtechs and I'll eventually own one of the as well.

Comment

That's why I picked one up. Recently got my lady a microtech utx-85 and snuck it off to work with me last week, think I might need one now too.

Comment

Working...
                                X